REVISED POLL - How old are you

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long have you been LEGALLY riding on the road?

• Under 1 year

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 2-5 years

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • 6-10 years

• 11-15 years

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • 16-20 years

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • 21-25 years

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • 26-30 years

• 31-35 years

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • 36-40 years (wow)

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • 41 or more ?

Votes: 16 14.2%

• Total voters
...EDIT: Who's the other guy that clicked 20-25?
That'd be me. B)

I'm 24. 'bought the FJR last year in April, I was 23 then. Been riding since August 07.

Who knew I bought a geezer bike.... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost 53. First motorcycle at age 11 and was on the doorstep of the DMV the morning of my 16th birthday. Damn that was a long time ago, man I sure am getting old. :lol:

Just turned 50.

Didn't own a cage until I was 26, got by with a 1978 Suzuki GS400 and a 1982 Suzuki GS1100. Then I took a 19 year break (wife #1 didn't like bikes).

Got a VFR 800 in 2003 (wife #2 was ok with bikes) and traded that in on the FJR last fall.

About 50,000 miles in all.

That'd be me.
I'm 24. 'bought the FJR last year in April, I was 23 then. Been riding since August 07.

Who knew I bought a geezer bike.... :lol:
"Old age and treachery" almost always beats "youth and exuberance". Watch out there, boy. Just kidding, but your should take solace that you made the right choice for one 'kick ass' bike. :p

Way back when, drivers education was a class in school. I was about the youngest kid in my class, so I took drivers ed. when I was 15. You had to get your permit to take the class so my dad signed a special form at DMV to get mine early. Like exskibum said, you could ride a motorcycle with a permit.

My dad was not a rider and didn't know much about bikes. One day his friend came over with his new Kawasaki 750 triple and they decided I should take it for a ride. I slowly rode to the corner and back but they insisted I go faster. The bikes owner said something about "it really goes when you get the revs up". What he forgot to mention was that all the power comes on at once, I think my feet were hovering above the tail light as I griped the bars the best I could. What a rush, and a great time to be 15 years old.

HYCLE: I hear you loudly and clearly Brother on the Kawasaki triples. I was previously bragging about my 1964 Norton Atlas 750 with the high performance Combat option being able to beat the Harley's and Triumphs of my senior classmates of Orange High School in 1966. Well, only got beat by two motorcycles before I joined the US Army and switched over to BMW.

In Villa Park, east of Orange in the Santa Ana mountains, there was a stretch of road that had been marked out for 1,320 feet for our weekend nights drag racing ala "American Graffiti". I first got beat by just two feet by a Royal Enfield 750 Interceptor; just like our FJRay of LaPine, Oregon still owns. I got my clock cleaned by a friend's brand new 1969 Mach III.

My buddy, after kicking my ass, swapped bikes with me. What a freaking eye opener when that two stroker got on the pipe!

I'm 33 years old and I've only been riding for 3 years. What an extreme pleasure it is to be included in the company of you Olde Pharts experienced senior riders. I hope to learn more from you.

:p

Almost 53. First motorcycle at age 11 and was on the doorstep of the DMV the morning of my 16th birthday. Damn that was a long time ago, man I sure am getting old. :lol:
Mark, is that when a "long line" was 3 or 4 people? :huh:

Mark, is that when a "long line" was 3 or 4 people?

Umm, yeah. It seems that everyone from the wagon train showed up that day. The worst part was avoiding the lava flows as we waited for the DMV to open.

42 but feel like 60 today due to the Scotch and Cigar Extravaganza at the Rainer Club last night. 70 single malts offered for tasting- I lost track after about 20. My guess is I made it less than one half of the way thru the tasting, but I gave it my best shot.

Started riding a Honda 50 cub at age 7. Those rides and rides on the FJR are my favorites, everything in between was fluff.

Started out on a monkey-wards minibike with the automatically ejecting drive chain, :weirdsmiley: and learning to fix bikes b4 getting much riding time. Boy was I jealous of those honda 50s.

I started riding street legal at 25 and have been riding 25.

FJR is the professional's choice. A super-motorcycle for the super-motorcyclist, if you will.

I'm 57 and have been street legal for 27 years. I always dated guys who rode bikes even though my parents forbid me to ride! I finally bought my first bike in 1981, a Kawasaki GPZ550! The FJR was the first Yamaha I ever owned and will probably be the last!

I'm 57 and have been street legal for 27 years. I always dated guys who rode bikes even though my parents forbid me to ride! I finally bought my first bike in 1981, a Kawasaki GPZ550! The FJR was the first Yamaha I ever owned and will probably be the last!
Why?

To you younger guys: Insurance blows! They stiick it to you just 'cause your young. Same you, different bike- rates go up. The FJR is not up on the hit list like the 'Busa, R-1, etc. Be grateful for that. Plus you can ride it for more than an hour without visiting the chiropractor. And usually outride the guy on the sport bike with the ball cap on backwards and flip flops. My son will have a license in the next few months, he's an excellent driver/rider. Been riding since he was three. I know my insurance bill won't even come with vasoline when he's on the policy. My words of wisdom. I'm almost 45, but don't feel much different from when I was 21 (just have to go to bed a little earlier). So don't avoid hanging out with those gray haired guys on the bikes, they're not much different from you. My Dad is 76, still rides, says the same thing about not feeling old. Mentally, at least. I race dirt bikes with a bunch of guys my kids age. I may not be able to talk about homework and they about the mortgage, but we all have a great time together because of our love of riding. You're just lucky you found a great bike earlier than some of us. :)

<snip>...Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my increasingly suspect recollection tells me that pans were from '49 to '63 and that shovels began in '64.
I know you guys got this sorted -- but, another issue was that back then motorcycles often had the year-model on the title for the year they were sold. Many are the late sixties Hondas with early seventies model dates (1970 CB 77 or, a '68 CL 350 - a distinctive 1st year - sold/titled as a '70). It happened alot up until (I think?) 1974 when the Feds got involved and standardized everything (left foot shifing -- down for 1st, etc.) -- title issues got standardized, too.

Gary Bang -- now there's a name from the past.....

'C&C': (Vamirr @ Mar 20 2009, 05:02 PM) "That'd be me.

Who knew I bought a geezer bike...."

"Old age and treachery" almost always beats "youth and exuberance". Watch out there, boy. Just kidding, but your should take solace that you made the right choice for one 'kick ass' bike.
Overheard inside 'The Rock Store' (Angeles Crest Natl Scenic Byway): "Watch-out for those old geezers sitting over there 'gumming their oatmeal' -- they can kick your ass in the twisties." :eek: :)

To you younger guys: Insurance blows! They stiick it to you just 'cause your young. Same you, different bike- rates go up. The FJR is not up on the hit list like the 'Busa, R-1, etc. Be grateful for that. Plus you can ride it for more than an hour without visiting the chiropractor. And usually outride the guy on the sport bike with the ball cap on backwards and flip flops. My son will have a license in the next few months, he's an excellent driver/rider. Been riding since he was three. I know my insurance bill won't even come with vasoline when he's on the policy. My words of wisdom. I'm almost 45, but don't feel much different from when I was 21 (just have to go to bed a little earlier). So don't avoid hanging out with those gray haired guys on the bikes, they're not much different from you. My Dad is 76, still rides, says the same thing about not feeling old. Mentally, at least. I race dirt bikes with a bunch of guys my kids age. I may not be able to talk about homework and they about the mortgage, but we all have a great time together because of our love of riding. You're just lucky you found a great bike earlier than some of us. :)
:clapping:

In Villa Park, east of Orange in the Santa Ana mountains, there was a stretch of road that had been marked out for 1,320 feet for our weekend nights drag racing ala "American Graffiti". I first got beat by just two feet by a Royal Enfield 750 Interceptor; just like our FJRay of LaPine, Oregon still owns. I got my clock cleaned by a friend's brand new 1969 Mach III.
My buddy, after kicking my ass, swapped bikes with me. What a freaking eye opener when that two stroker got on the pipe!
Which road? I wanna know!!

I'm in Villa Park every day delivering/pickup daughter from school ~!