Rotella T6 causing clutch drag and hard shifting?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you got it sorted out. I've used Rotellea T6 exclusively for the last 2 or 3 years now.
On another note, I spent 20 minutes a few weekends ago and popped off my shifter and lubed the pivot. The heim joints were fine. OMFG what a difference in the way it shifts now. It's now part of my yearly maintainance routine along with the rear brake pedal pivot.
Yep me too! The first time I did them both I was amazed. While not the exact problem here it can be part of any shifting problem for sure. Another thing this Forum has educated me on over the years and is a yearly thing now.

I just put in the new formula Rotella T6 syn before EOM and it is definitely not shifting as smooth as with the old formula.

So I will be changing it out for something different shortly. And I have been using the Rotella Syn since about 1000 miles on the bike and it has 98k now.

I just put in the new formula Rotella T6 syn before EOM and it is definitely not shifting as smooth as with the old formula.
So I will be changing it out for something different shortly. And I have been using the Rotella Syn since about 1000 miles on the bike and it has 98k now.
I find this kinda strange as I use T6 for our cooler weather (like now) and find the shifting to be extremely quiet and smooth as butter.

I guess this falls under the "different bikes like different stuff" category.

I find this kinda strange as I use T6 for our cooler weather (like now) and find the shifting to be extremely quiet and smooth as butter.

I guess this falls under the "different bikes like different stuff" category.
it works OK in cooler weather and if the bike is not hot. But once the bike gets hot the downshifting is not as smooth for sure.

I changed with Rotella recently, and the bike shifts buttery smooth, have about 4000kms on this change so far, and it's flawless.

I just added a little STP (1/4 bottle = 4 oz) to my new oil (1/2 Rotella T6 and 1/2 Rotella dino) and it smoothed right out the clunky shifting.

It feels more like Mobil1 did on my last oil change. Even smoother going into first.

I read it here first, so I credit you Forum Geeks for turning me on to a STP (moly) cocktail.

You know, Roger, you may be on to something.

For as long as I used Rotella T (15W40) I always used a shot of STP additive and I was always satisfied with my shifting. The couple of times I used the T6 (5W40 syn) I did not add the STP reasoning that the "synthetic" should not need the STP additive package, but that resulted in some notchy shifting, which combined with the higher expense of the T6 turned me off.

Lately (last 3-4 changes) I've been going with Mobil 1 15W50, partly because I'm closing in on 100k miles and have been burning a litle oil between changes (nothing alarming) and partly because Walmart economics makes the 15W50 M1 less expensive than the T6 syn. I haven't been adding STP with the M1, and I haven't noted any notchiness, and the oil consumption has been somewhat reduced. I wonder if adding STP to M1 would be like oil nirvana?

(But don't worry, this thought won't keep me up tonight)

Last edited by a moderator:
just to clarify my case:1. bike purchased new, 0 miles, on Jan 12, 2013.

2. bike shifted fine up till 648 miles with the "break in" oil provided by Yamaha

3. Changed oil and filter at 648 miles. Put Rotella T 15W40.

4. Almost immediately, noticed shifting smoothness decline. Most notably, shifting to 1st from stop, down shifting any gear, 5th to 4th downshift really difficult at times, clutch seeming to not dis engage for a full second or so at times.

5. Decided to change oil again later on, just in case something was wrong with previous oil...again put Rotella T...same shifting problems as above.

6. Drained oil, put in Honda Pro 10W40 oil, changed filter, ran bike (only 5+ miles). First couple of minutes, still a little rough on shifts, but by the time I hit 5 miles with numerous gear changes, bike now feels "normal" on all upshifts, and 97% normal on downshifts. Still noticed a slight notchiness from 5th to 4th, but very minor.

Time will tell if more miles with new oil will bring it back to what I consider 100%. (my definition of 100% is a combo of comparison to my '08 FJR and how the new '13 was shifting on break in oil)

Again, I use Rotella T in my other 2 bikes that I currently own and ride, and have used it exclusively for years now, in many various bikes. No problems to report until now.
Exact same experience with me! My 13 ran fine until I switched to Rotella Synthetic at first oil change then experienced the exact sam clutch and shift problems as above. Am going to try Mobil 1 motorcycle synthetic and see if things change Incidentally this is my 3rd new FJR and I,ve used Rotella synthetic in my 05 and 08s without any problems

Ugh, just read this entire thread. I didn't see (may have missed it) where it was confirmed that the T6 formula has changed. Did we confirm that somewhere? Do we know when it was changed?

It has not been confirmed. It hasn't even been established clearly which oil we are talking about Rotella T6 synthetic 5W40 or Rotella T 15W40. People seem to be jabbering about both products interchangeably

I just run Mobil T6 non-synthetic and be done with it.
biggrin.png

Okay for what it's worth, it's not the oil. I bought my 05 bike with 10k on it in April. I did my first two oil changes with Castrol 20/50 for bikes. I've used this in all bikes till now. After reading tons of threads, I bought some T-6 and took a shot at it. WOW! That stuff works great in my bike. I'm at 16k miles and I this bike has never shifted this smooth. I was surprised to notice a big difference in the shifting, both up and down. I used to match RPMs to get into 1st and other gears to make it smooth. I can hit any gear now smooth and easy, even 1st at 20mph.

I also noticed a slight edge off on the vibration but then that's really hard to measure.

In conclusion, either the Castro is crap that makes the bikes rough to shift or this T-6 works is far superior for these tranys. So if it works on a low mile 05, the problem on the newer bikes must be that black tar-like crap BWV found in his clutch.

Okay for what it's worth, it's not the oil. I bought my 05 bike with 10k on it in April. I did my first two oil changes with Castrol 20/50 for bikes. I've used this in all bikes till now. After reading tons of threads, I bought some T-6 and took a shot at it. WOW! That stuff works great in my bike. I'm at 16k miles and I this bike has never shifted this smooth. I was surprised to notice a big difference in the shifting, both up and down. I used to match RPMs to get into 1st and other gears to make it smooth. I can hit any gear now smooth and easy, even 1st at 20mph.
I also noticed a slight edge off on the vibration but then that's really hard to measure.

In conclusion, either the Castro is crap that makes the bikes rough to shift or this T-6 works is far superior for these tranys. So if it works on a low mile 05, the problem on the newer bikes must be that black tar-like crap BWV found in his clutch.
not sure about your logic on that one. Not the oil, but the Castro is crap? Why is the Rotella not crap? Rotella is crap in my '13, where as the Honda Pro is not. Rotella is GREAT in my other bike.

This is one of those shake the head things...Rotella has never let me down till i got my '13 FJR. I experimented on my last oil change...i put back in the Rotella 15W40 dino oil...sure as shit, the bike started shifting rough within 200 miles. I drained it and put the Honda Pro oil in, and back to smooth shifting again.

I'm just resigned to the fact that I'll use the Rotella in all my other vehicles and keep the Honda Pro on hand for the FJR.

I know it sounds nuts but I've said for yrs that it ain't the oil, it's the machine. Some bikes like particular oils and others don't. I've experienced it in Kawasakis with Mobil1 & Suzukis with Shell. My '07 does fine with Shell but significantly better with Valvoline.