Shorai battery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary, I want to thank you very much for the time and interest to gather the info on your experience with the Shorai battery. I purchased one in Dec. and installed it the next day. However, I also connected their battery charger/maintainer and have kept the battery on that while it sits in my very cold garrage. So far the bike has started immediately with temps as low as 15 degrees. Again, the battery has been on the charger continuously. I doubt it would have even tried to start at those temps with out the charger/maintainer connected.

Gary, I want to thank you very much for the time and interest to gather the info on your experience with the Shorai battery. I purchased one in Dec. and installed it the next day. However, I also connected their battery charger/maintainer and have kept the battery on that while it sits in my very cold garrage. So far the bike has started immediately with temps as low as 15 degrees. Again, the battery has been on the charger continuously. I doubt it would have even tried to start at those temps with out the charger/maintainer connected.
Pilot.

Do me a favor. Take it off the charger overnight. Try to start it at anything below 40 tomorrow. Temperatures around here refuse to go below 40, it seems. Good old Florida. Spring sometimes starts early around here. Post up what happens please.

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary, I would try that however we are just out the door on our way to the Sunshine State (Bradenton/Sarasota area). I will see if I can get my neighbor to sneek into my garrage and give it a try. Will post results if he is willing to disconnect the charger and let it sit for a day in the cold.

their tech guys say there's yet another change in the formula, that the cells now hold around 2v higher when temps are in the low 30's.

Interesting. Marketing BS or possible improvement? Hmmm.....
Phug-

You said, "Tech guys said..." Did you contact them by phone or by email? What exactly did they say? What's this NEW formula all about? How new are we talking? The battery I received came in early December. It's been two months now. I never heard anything about a new formula.

Gary
neither. it was in-person at their corporate office here. As I was being given the refurb battery, the guy plugs it into a cell balancer to show the voltages of each cell to demonstrate they're balanced. As he's doing this, and I voiced my concern about cold weather performance of a refurb battery, one of the bench testers leans around the door and mentions that with the "new" formula, the cells are "holding about 2 volts higher in temperatures in the low 30's."

I'd already paid for the battery, it was out of warranty but they still gave me a working replacement, so there wasn't much to be gained by adding marketing if it wasn't true.

We're just about out of the cold weather spell here, my brake pads still haven't shown up, so the only way to demonstrate any improvement is gonna have to wait until next season.

(I don't know how some of you survive an annual "not riding" season. It's only been since mid-October and I'm jonesing for a ride, getting crankier than Bustanut after someone swapped his hand lotion for Tiger Balm... :p

their tech guys say there's yet another change in the formula, that the cells now hold around 2v higher when temps are in the low 30's.

Interesting. Marketing BS or possible improvement? Hmmm.....
Phug-

You said, "Tech guys said..." Did you contact them by phone or by email? What exactly did they say? What's this NEW formula all about? How new are we talking? The battery I received came in early December. It's been two months now. I never heard anything about a new formula.

Gary
neither. it was in-person at their corporate office here. As I was being given the refurb battery, the guy plugs it into a cell balancer to show the voltages of each cell to demonstrate they're balanced. As he's doing this, and I voiced my concern about cold weather performance of a refurb battery, one of the bench testers leans around the door and mentions that with the "new" formula, the cells are "holding about 2 volts higher in temperatures in the low 30's."

I'd already paid for the battery, it was out of warranty but they still gave me a working replacement, so there wasn't much to be gained by adding marketing if it wasn't true.

We're just about out of the cold weather spell here, my brake pads still haven't shown up, so the only way to demonstrate any improvement is gonna have to wait until next season.

(I don't know how some of you survive an annual "not riding" season. It's only been since mid-October and I'm jonesing for a ride, getting crankier than Bustanut after someone swapped his hand lotion for Tiger Balm...
tongue.png
When exactly were you there? I just heard back from their customer service dept. that two months ago (which would be about mid Dec of 2012) they changed the "formula" as well as made a couple other minor changes. Here's their actual email to me, from 2 days ago:

Hi Gary,

We are always trying to improve our product and with that the battery has changed several times over the past two years. The newest iteration was released around 2 months ago. These have improved wiring, a harder more durable case, and a new chemistry which has improved cold weather performance...

So... The battery I rec'd was free, as I posted earlier in this forum. Now they've got a new edition of this battery that supposedly supplies about 2 Volts of extra power @ cold temps??? I'm hoping to contact them about it. Our final cold snap of the season will be coming up this weekend, but with a new formula already in production, it would seem that any further testing of my current battery wouldn't serve much purpose, if indeed the newest version is significantly better.

Gary

Tonight's the night. Scheduled to drop to 25 degrees right here in West-central Florida. Imagine that. Coldest night of the whole winter and probably the last. It's getting a little late in the season for temps this cold. Feeling sorry for all the Strawberry farmers around here. They're gonna lose a lot of money tonight. Anyway, the FJR is sitting outside, and the charger will be on a 2 amp trickle charge all night. We'll see what she does in the morning.

Gary

Good luck Gary! Thank God I don't have your problems.

Now

Mostly Cloudy

Temperature
16.2 °F
Feels Like 16 °F

Wind(mph)

Sunrise / Set
7:10 AM
5:57 PM

Moon
First Quarter
More Astronomy

Tonight
nt_partlycloudy.gif
16 °F
Partly Cloudy

Tomorrow
partlycloudy.gif
46 °F
Partly Cloudy

Tomorrow Night
nt_rain.gif
37 °F
Rain80% chance of precipitation

Tuesday
chancesnow.gif
41 | 19 °F
Chance of Snow90% chance of precipitation

Wednesday
partlycloudy.gif
30 | 16 °F
Chance of Snow20% chance of precipitation

Thursday
mostlycloudy.gif
34 | 25 °F
Mostly Cloudy

I actually thought about replacing the stock battery with one of the Shorai batterys after the stocker goes to crap. Not in a million years after reading all this thread. I just want to push the button and go, either at 30 degrees or at 100 degrees. The drama in the cold can not be worth the 10 lb savings, IMHO.

Here it is ladies and gentlemen: the final Shorai test. The temp outside is about 28. This is a pic of my heat pump, about 20 feet from where the FJR is parked. You'll notice the bands of ice. It's designed to defrost itself a little so it can function (hence the bands). MMMM cold !!

CIMG1181.jpg

BELOW: Just behind the thermometer you'll see where I've plugged in my charger attachment. I made it out of an old 12v. accessory charger I had... I cut the plug off the other end to expose the wires, to which I hooked up the pos/neg clamps from my battery charger.
Anyway, I parked the bike outside and you'll notice my little thermometer tells me the humidity is 16 and the current temp is 30. It was 28 when I first walked out, but the temps rise in a hurry after sunrise. Since the Shorai is inside the cowl, the battery itself is still 28 degrees. This is the coldest I've ever tested it. As I said, it's rare when it gets really cold around here, and it only happens in the mornings. This is important to me because...

CIMG1185.jpg

I can always throw the charger on it overnight on these cold nights. Keep in mind, the bike will always be in the garage, which is something like 8-10 degrees warmer than it is outside. I tested the bike outside today to be able to post up the results on this forum. Below, you can see the charger holding voltage at 13.5; the difference between the voltage on charger and on the bike's voltage meter (13.8) is because the charger cycles on and off every minute or two, and it was cycled off at the time the pic was taken.

CIMG1186.jpg

The test:
First attempt: no go. Clock reset to 0 due to voltage dropping below 8 while cranking.
Crank duration: 4 seconds
Results: no start
Note: charger disconnected for test

2nd attempt: waited 20 seconds before trying. Voltage recovered to 12.7

3rd attempt: waited 20 seconds before trying. Voltage recovered to 12.6
Crank duration: 6 seconds

4th attempt: waited 20 seconds before trying. Voltage recovered to 12.7

5th attempt: waited 20 seconds before trying. Voltage recovered to 12.8
Crank duration: 3 seconds
Results: started

Oh yeah. Victory at 28 degrees!!!!!

What I've learned today:

The Shorai starts considerably better when it's hooked up to the charger overnight on these cold nights, just as we all suspected. However, with the battery hooked up to the charger, I would like to see the bike start on the first attempt. This test in no way made me happy.

Some final thoughts: The bike has started on first attempt, without the charger, at around 40 degrees. I've reserved my opinion of this battery on purpose. It was not my intent to give my opinion. I'll just let the facts I have presented speak for themselves.
I won't be doing any more testing with the Shorai. It seems that the company has already come out with a new formulation that is reputed to have significantly more grunt than the one I have. Whether or not this is true... we'll have to leave it up to someone else to test. This new battery seems to have come out in mid December of 2012. I'll stick with the Shorai for now, and probably won't have any issues until next winter.

SOMETHING I NEVER DID TRY:

I never got to try the grip warmer pad idea. I think it would have worked, but due to the amount of time it takes to get them, the money involved, and the fact that our weather is warming up already, I didn't try it. Oh well.

And as old Porky used to say, be-da bad-eea, bud-ee-uh... THAT'S ALL FOLKS.

ALLDONE.jpg
All Done.

Gary

Crownomore #44

Thanks, Gary for all your work, I hate to see you torture your starter motor any more. For those with Shorai's, if you know the temperature is going to drop to 40 or less, just plug it in to the charger. Maybe not possible while on the road sometimes..........

But for me, there's no compelling reason to get a Shorai. AGM's should last 5 years if you use them properly and keep them from going into discharge.

What's your auxiliary heat with the heat pump? I've noticed many are installing dual fuel systems which have a gas furnace for auxiliary heat. I believe they switch over to gas heat when the outside temp drops below 35 degrees or so.

My FJR's OE battery lasted about 4-1/2 years. Its replacement, a Westco, is getting weak after 5 years of use.

Neither was ever significantly discharged. Yet, about 5 years seems to be my limit. They were kept fully charged in the off-season.

Maybe they've gotten a bit too warm in my garage during the hot summer months.

Thanks, Gary for all your work, I hate to see you torture your starter motor any more. For those with Shorai's, if you know the temperature is going to drop to 40 or less, just plug it in to the charger. Maybe not possible while on the road sometimes..........
But for me, there's no compelling reason to get a Shorai. AGM's should last 5 years if you use them properly and keep them from going into discharge.
Fair enough. No more torturing my starter. And yup, I agree about just plugging it in. Huge difference.

What's your auxiliary heat with the heat pump? I've noticed many are installing dual fuel systems which have a gas furnace for auxiliary heat. I believe they switch over to gas heat when the outside temp drops below 35 degrees or so.
My auxillary is electric coils. It's working fine, kept us at 73 all night. However, the heat pump doesn't do too well below 45 or so. But most nights are above that here in Fla.

I thought my OEM 06 batt was going bad so I replaced it.

Put the old one in a 14 hp Sears mower with marginal charging.

That batt is still kicking butt and working great, go figure.

Thanks for all the work Gary but, too much drama for me. Marginal starting under 40F is just not an option when we've ridden and planned trips with the mornings hovering around 30.

My auxillary is electric coils. It's working fine, kept us at 73 all night. However, the heat pump doesn't do too well below 45 or so. But most nights are above that here in Fla.
So we don't get toooo far off topic...my heat pump (Trane XL15i) goes to aux heat (propane) at 30F. Down to that temperature it works well and keeps the house comfortable w/o working too hard. When it was originally installed, it was set to change over at 25F but at that temperature, was struggling to keep the house warm.

FWIW, Mitsubishi makes heat pumps that work well down into the single digits.

--G

Thanks for all the work Gary but, too much drama for me. Marginal starting under 40F is just not an option when we've ridden and planned trips with the mornings hovering around 30.
--G
Ah come on George where is the adventure in having your battery work all the time? A bit of adventure is why we ride right?
smile.png

Kinda like me last year running around the western US on a tire 91% all wore out. Thanks again for your help.

I figure to get one more cross-country ride out of my Shorai and by the end of summer I'll try to get a few bucks for it. It's definitely not going to work out here. Maybe I'll give it to my Son in Law in Hawaii.

tom (formerly) inCA

I figure to get one more cross-country ride out of my Shorai and by the end of summer I'll try to get a few bucks for it. It's definitely not going to work out here. Maybe I'll give it to my Son in Law in Hawaii.
tom (formerly) inCA
I'd like to get one of these (cheap) to use in my portable jump start box. It lives in heated space and any weight savings would be appreciated.

One might "heat up" the battery by turning on the headlights for a brief time before attempting a cold start. It would be easy to add a simple circuit to energize the lights with an inexpensive control relay. A 120 watt, 10 amp load for a few minutes might do the trick.