Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a set of 6,000 watt Halogen "trouble" lights... but yeah, got one of those too...

IMG_2201.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, couldn't wait for tomorrow to sample the cook...we took out about half a slab for "quality control" purposes.

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_2203.jpg

I went slow and low this time. Five hours cooking between 205-220. Never got over 225 degrees.

Average was like 200F for most of the cook. Tender as hell, good smoke taste, but not overpowering. Used hickory and mesquite chunks, lump charcoal and only added sauce after the cook. ..

Looking forward to finishing off some more tomorrow..... :)

That's perfect.. I love mine sans sauce, but I always put it out for guests who don't know better.. :) My rub is enough for me!

We're both "wet" fans here...(only use Baby Rays BBQ sauce now) I love like a thin coat on one side of the ribs before I cut them, Wife tends to slather more on. I've also tried various other sauces....keeping coming back to Baby Ray's. I spray a coat of watered down Pepsi on the slabs before I wrap them up for the freezer, along with a thin coat of sauce....this seems to help when reheated keeping the meat moist, and tender.

On St. Louis ribs I like to put a coat of sauce on the ribs about an hour or two before I pull them out of the smoker, and a few times after I smoke them I put on the sauce then put them on the grill, just to caramelize the sugars in the sauce.

But yeah, you wouldn't have to put a gun to my head to get me to eat them "dry"... ;)

Looks like they really took the smoke well. My mouth is watering just looking at the photo.

I've taken to cooking and serving them dry too, but that is mostly because my family and I have different heat tolerances. My son and I are partial to Stubbs' spicy. Wife and daughters prefer the Sweet Baby Ray's. Sometimes the rub and smoke is enough and I enjoy them without saucing at all. It's all good!

Nice!

Definitely not warm enough for grilling up here. We reheated a couple of racks of Baby Backs yesterday from the freezer stash in celebration of the New Year's Day festivities up here in the frozen north land. Only 2 racks left now, which I'll probably save for Superbowl Sunday. They tasted quite good, but I did miss smelling as good as I usually do after 5 or 6 hours of tending the pit. ;)

They looked great coming off the smoker, but the flavor was not there. I think it was just a bad batch of meat. They needed sauce to seal the deal. Tasted very good with sauce.

20170102_180153.jpg

Silver lining - My reworked hooks (shortened them up) worked great! It is nice to be able to clean my "rib rack" with 60 seconds of effort.

That's weird. Did you use any sort of a dry rub on them? It looks Ike you did in the first photo.

FWIW - I've taken to salting the meat the night before, and laying Meathead's Memphis Dust dry rub on them just before cooking. The last batch I did was a spur of the moment thing so I salted and dry rubbed right before cooking. They did not have quite as good of a flavor IMO as my usual overnight dry brining, but they were also wicked cheap (bought them from Wally World for $2 a lb.)

^ Those beef ribs?

I have never eaten beef ribs, but would like to give them a shot.

Update on my propane conversion...Andy, the guy that built my smoker, is building me a custom pan to use for the wood. My concern from using the cast iron skillet last time were that all the vents were below the thing and it wasn't getting a good flow of air to the wood. The new one he's making will sit lower, will likely get hotter as it will be 3 inches closer to the burner and air from either of the two vents will flow across the top instead of the bottom of the pan.

Pictures later...

I do the same as Fred, I salt the ribs the night before, stick them back in the fridge. Next day right before I put them in the pit, I put on the rub.

I cleaned my rack off by putting a wire wheel into my electric drill. Worked pretty good, faster than using a wire brush.

Beef ribs are amazing, and you cook them just like pork. They crisp up more than pork - which is good, you get a bark that adds tons of flavor. Very little need for rub.

That's weird. Did you use any sort of a dry rub on them? It looks Ike you did in the first photo.
FWIW - I've taken to salting the meat the night before, and laying Meathead's Memphis Dust dry rub on them just before cooking. The last batch I did was a spur of the moment thing so I salted and dry rubbed right before cooking. They did not have quite as good of a flavor IMO as my usual overnight dry brining, but they were also wicked cheap (bought them from Wally World for $2 a lb.)
Same rub I developed and have used for the past 5 years or so. I normally buy ribs from the store and cook them within a day or two. I froze these ribs a while back. I recall the other ribs from that package were also lacking. As I recall they were not the normal brand of ribs I usually get; Smitfield. They were something else.

Smithfield are what I buy here too. Last night we took a rack out of the freezer and heated it back up for dinner.

Looked and tasted just as good as the last one:

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

(225F for about an hour, then 325 for 20 minutes)

Here's a quite interesting look at how some Korean women viewed their first tastes of American BBQ. Koreans are well known to be the "meat eaters" of Asia. I think they were quite perceptive, and accurate, as I also favor pork ribs over the others.

Here's a quite interesting look at how some Korean women viewed their first tastes of American BBQ. Koreans are well known to be the "meat eaters" of Asia. I think they were quite perceptive, and accurate, as I also favor pork ribs over the others.

If you ever have the opportunity to go to Joe's BBQ in Alvin Tx https://joesbarbequecompany.com/catalog/ you will find out what great beef ribs are. They put pork to shame.

Their "sour" ruling was the marinate.

The portions will end up making Koreans fat just like Americans.

Ribs with a raspberry glaze? Ick! I hate raspberry.

Well, I got into the whole smoking thing specifically to do ribs, so I too favor them over other Q. But I think to have a fair comparison there should have been no sauces used on any of the meats. A good sauce can make a mediocre piece of meat taste awesome, or a bad one can make it worse. Too many variables. That's why in BBQ compilations sauces are judged separately.