Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy finished my new wood pan for the smoker when I use the gas burner. Welded from 31/6" steel plate, 3" deep (and 3" closer to the burner) 7-3/4" wide:

IMG_2284.jpg

Looks like there's a brisket in my future....

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool.

Looks like you'll be able to play around with sliding it and the burner in and out to vary the amount of the burner's heat that hits the pan.

Venturing into the off-topic stuff as work is slow and I stumbled upon this magical thread...figured I'd share some recent success. Not sure if any of you hunt or care for game meat, but I had about 20lbs of snow goose I just made into summer sausage this week. I also just purchased a cheaper smoker, which is my first (Masterbuilt electric). 50/50 snow goose and pork trimmings, Hi-Mountain summer sausage kit w/ casings, seasoned, stuffed, cured, and smoked for about 6hrs with apple and mesquite chips...WOW. I won't be buying sausage from the store any more. This stuff is near gourmet quality. Needless to say I was pleased with my first attempt. Now on to the breakfast sausage, which undoubtedly should be easier.

IMG_20170305_123133_zpsa0nemczw.jpg

IMG_20170305_145152_zpsf2okgsqb.jpg

IMG_20170307_170757_zpsz5pqp8bl.jpg

Very cool. Any more info on the sausage making? Is it cured at all before smoking? Where did you find your recipe?

I love nice spicy breakfast sausage, prefer the patty form to links. Be great to have some home made to make gravy with for biscuits. I could see adding that to the repertoire.

Very cool. Any more info on the sausage making? Is it cured at all before smoking? Where did you find your recipe?
I love nice spicy breakfast sausage, prefer the patty form to links. Be great to have some home made to make gravy with for biscuits. I could see adding that to the repertoire.
I do love breakfast sausage as well, and also prefer patties. The summer sausage really is as "easy" as it sounds, although most people likely don't have access to snow goose, which is very lean. You could likely substitute any other lean meat such as venison or beef here as well, or a less fatty cut of pork meat. Most people use butt/shoulders and mix their ratio according to what they like. A lot of people recommend 60/40 pork to goose/venison. If you were using all pork, I imagine your ratios would have to be different due to pork being fatty on virtually every cut. Other than the ratio thing, the Hi-Mountain Summer Sausage kit shown in the pic literally includes everything you need and good instructions. Seasoning, cure, casings, and instructions.

I weighed and ground the goose with pork trimmings (still with a bit of meat) to make sure it was 50/50. I used a medium coarseness for the 1st grind. Then you add the seasoning, cure, and water and mix thoroughly. I added a bit extra salt, crushed red pepper, black pepper, and a chopped bell pepper (which looked like a lot, but I can't taste at all once done). I didn't want to add too much bell pepper as it contributes some water weight. At that point, I put it back through the grinder with a different attachment (one indicated for sausage stuffing, so it only has 2 very large holes in the plate and took the actual blade out of the grinder). The casings have to be soaked for 1hr in warm water. After stuffing the casings, you cure in the fridge for 12-24hrs. At that point, remove the sausage from the fridge and let them get to room temp (~2hrs or so). I cold smoked at 100F for 1-1.5hrs, 140F for 1hr, then 180F until the sausage gets to 160F internal temp. Remove the sausage and cool in ice water for 10-15min until internal temp is about 120F, which stops the cooking. Hang the sausage over night, I literally hung mine from the dirtbike handlebar in the garage :) Should've taken a pic. At that point, you're done. Refrigerate what you want to eat, and freeze the rest. I used half mesquite half apple chips to smoke. Total smoke time was around 6hrs.

Some people prefer the tangy summer sausage that has been fermented for a day or 2. I didn't want to get into all that on my first try. Apparently all you have to do though is add like a cup or 1/2cup (can't remember) of buttermilk powder to the mix, ferment in the fridge for a day or 2, then resume the prep. Some folks indicated they put regular milk powder in non-fermented sausage, although I didn't. Not sure what effect that has.

So....all in all it's a bit of a process, but not at all complicated, just quite a few steps.

I'll add, the only thing that the Hi-Mountain instructions do not include is the actual smoking temp/procedure. Other than that, pretty straightforward. Grind, mix, stuff, cure, smoke.

Oh geeze... now I'm going to have to go shopping for more culinary toys. Home smoked sausage sounds too good to pass up.
If you have a Kitchenaid mixer, there are attachments for nearly everything. I use the all stainless grinder attachment made by Chef's Choice, but my friends have good luck with the $40 plastic version as well. The smoker I bought is a Masterbuilt electric, and its temp control is awesome. Only downside is it can only hold a cup of chips at a time, but, you can buy an A-Maze-N pellet tray, set it in the bottom, and get up to 12hrs of constant smoke. Then no need to reload every 1.5hrs, just set it and let it roll.

Hah, funny... I just ordered the kitchen aid attachment yesterday (Amazon Prime) so it should arrive Saturday. Didn't get the sausage stuffer yet, but probably will. I want to make some loose/bulk breakfast sausage first, but when I mentioned this to my 1/2 Italian wife she told me I need to make her sweet sausage for her sauce.

I'm all set for smokers for now. I'll just use my OK Joe offset. I can run that at a low temp quite easily

Have not delved into the summer sausage yet, but I have been playing with my kitchen-aid meat grinder and sausage stuffer a little. My first go at grinding was making some loose breakfast sausage. I bought a bone-in Boston Pork Butt that weighed just 3 1/2 lbs, and I got 3 lbs out of it after trimming the bone out. In that first effort I learned the value of cubing the meat into smaller 1" cubes (no larger) with the kitchen aid grinder as longer tendons got fetched up in the grinder about 1/2 way through.

The good news was that the sausage was very tasty grilled up as patties for breakfast, and perhaps even better crumbled in the pan for sausage gravy to pour over biscuits. Yeah, I'm a Yankee, but those biscuits and gravy could make a guy want to move south.

Because I didn't add any extra fat-back to the pork shoulder, the sausage was a bit on the lean side. But it still made a very fine gravy, and maybe not such a heart attack waiting to happen as normal. We have about a 1 lb log of it left in the freezer, but I'll surely be making this one again real soon.

Here's the recipe I used from the Food Network website:

16 ounces ground pork

1 teaspoon salt

1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley

1⁄4 teaspoon rubbed sage (or more)

1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper

1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme (or more)

1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

1⁄4 teaspoon coriander

1⁄4 teaspoon msg (such as Accent flavor enhancer)

The sage and other spices really come through, and that 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes was just the right amount to keep it interesting without being obnoxious, IMO. Its about as spicy as any breakfast joint up north makes their sausage gravy, usually it's considerably milder. I did use the MSG as proscribed, but if you are sensitive to it you could ditch that easily.

I ordered some natural pork casings and stuffed up some Sweet Italian links today. Got two boneless Pork Butts at the local discount market that weighed ~ 3lbs each. These were considerably fattier than the bone in Butt I'd bought earlier, which I think will be a good thing for the links. Grinding the meat went easy-peasy since I cubed the meat up smaller this time, but it took some quality time to learn the ways of the stuffer attachment, and a second set of hands. We stuffed up 6 lbs of sausage casings, but it took us a couple of hours to do it. Haven't tasted it yet, but with the recipe we used from the "Let's Make Sausage" web site, I'm confident it will be delish!

Gina's Sweet Italian Sausage

6 pounds boned pork shoulder, we like it about 80% lean

5 teaspoons cracked fennel

1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)

1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper (medium grind)

1 1/2 tablespoons granulated garlic (or 4-6 fresh cloves)

2 teaspoons rubbed sage

1 cup very cold, good quality white table wine

This one is a bit more complex in the spicing than most other sweet Italian sausage recipes, and I like the idea of the sage. I can see a possibility of a few of these bad boys ending up on the smoker some day...

It's nearly April. Those smokers will be coming out of hibernation before you know it!
punk.gif

I think you mean it isn't Italian sausage. There are lots of other types of sausage recipes, and mostly the Italian sausage has fennel seed. I did find one Italian sausage recipe that has anise instead of fennel. That sounded a bit weird to me.

Hey 'dere. Goin' ta have ta make up some nice Sheboygan bratwurst too, for smokin' and grillin' don'cha know...

Yeah,I guess that's what happens when you have too much time on your hands!
laugh.png

More importantly, I'm working my way up to something more substantial that isn't all that cheap, like the summer sausage shown above. Baby steps...

Looking foreword to that...and some photos of your results ...(you know, it didn't happen unless we see pictures;))

I'll likely try doing up some sausage eventually, but there's still some regulars smoked meats I like to do first. Wife wants me to do a brisket, so that's what's next on my agenda. Hoping to tryout my new wood pan and propane conversion on this.

My question here is if I crutch for the stall, do I finish the meat leaving it wrapped of does one unwrap it at some point for the rest of the cook?

Next up I'd like to do some beef short ribs....which seem to be hard to find around here......

My question here is if I crutch for the stall, do I finish the meat leaving it wrapped of does one unwrap it at some point for the rest of the cook?
Well, I'm no expert on smoking Brisket, but the SOP on crutching other meats is to remove from the wrap for the last hour or so to firm up the bark. If you don't care about the bark, and it doesn't seem as important to me on brisket as it is on ribs and pork butts, then you could just leave it wrapped to the end. That's what I would do if I were finishing it in the kitchen oven.

Some feedback on my prior posted recipes: Both were made using only pork shoulder (Boston Butt). The breakfast sausage is great made that way. It is leaner than the stuff you buy at the market, makes an awesome sausage gravy, and allows you to eat sausage with your eggs in the morning with less guilt.

The Eye-Tallion sausage was also lean, being made from straight boneless pork shoulder, which made it great in patty form, or crumbled and cooked for a pizza topping. But the stuffed links were too dry after cooking in Mama-Josie's sauce, and let's face it, that is the primary purpose of those particular items. So, next time I would add a goodly amount of fat-back to up the percentage of fat in the mix for any of the meat going into casings.

I ordered up some breakfast sized casings, so next time I make the breakfast mix (which will be soon as we are down to our last 1/2 lb. in the freezer) I'll stuff some little links. Might want to up the fat content on those, without informing the missus, too. I'm enjoying the sausage making and can't wait to get some on the smoker.

Latest posts