Teerex bites the dust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has made me think of a poignant safety slogan."Ride it like you're naked".
I don't want to know what product that slogan was attached to... :huh:

:eek: WOW, I am really gald to hear that you and your wife are generally OK. As an 06 waiter I have spent my winter gearing up. I bought a new full face helmet, leather riding pants and a leather race jacket. I also bought a new pair of boots. I already have gloves. Your story just reminds me that I made the right choices in gear for the new FJR. I wish you well and minimal pain while you heal. :p

Glad you escaped a hard crash without greater injury. It is a testimonial to good gear. Just bought my wife a pair of leather pants with armored knees and steel toe boots. Hope she never has to 'test' them. Your get-off is definitely a reminder for ATGATT.

What gear were you and your wife wearing? What is her attitude towards the crash and riding again. Not sure what my wife would say.

Wishing you both a speedy recovery,

Luke

Man-O-man, I just came home from work and read this! First George (Coyote) and now Teerex, guys, we've got to be careful out there.

Stef & Chris, I am unbelievably sorry for your mishap. Lord have mercy, a broken rib and crutches, what are you, a glutton for punishment? Concussions are nothing to sneeze at (bad pun!) either. The effects are better than some drugs...oh never mind, we aren't going there.

The most sickening feeling I've had is getting up in a daze and not being able to find my FJR. Then, finally, seeing it over the edge, tankside down against a tree. Yuck! I feel your pain, emotionally and physically.

+1 on all the good wishes and prayers (you are in mine, I assure you). I had the same response as zzkenoman, instant denial then overwhelming sadness (I had to walk away from the screen). Heal quickly, friends, heal quickly.

Rogdeb offered some sage insight from his experience, Stef. Sometimes its the mental recovery that lingers in our (and our pillion's) thought processes. Thankfully you are a great rider. Over and over I have been reading from motorcycle techniques books that say, "what you practice and do everyday is what you will do in an emergency". Obviously, from the witnesses reports, your experience and good habits took over even though you weren't consciously attempting to "save" the bike. That, sir, is a testament to what kind of motorcyclist you are, and the worry about your "blushing bride" is a tribute to the man you are.

Keep us informed about your progress and about the bike repair/replacement.

Need to talk? We're only a posting or email away.

Uhm, broken rib...time, my friend, lots of time. I am enjoying the picture in my mind as you limp on the crutch and then wince from the rib-pain. :D Funny peculiar, not funny "ha-ha"! (From one whos BTDT!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Heal fast stef!

I new rider named stephanie crashed sunday while she was riding her new ninja 250. She had all new gear and sustained only minor injuries even though she went head on into a tree.

Moral: GEAR IS WORTH EVERY PENNY!

Stef,

VERY glad you and your wife are OK!! Going down is a scary deal, much less when a loved one is aboard!

You mentioned the Yammi topcase came off, leaving your wife with no back support. Since I also use the Yammi topcase and frequently ride with my SO on the back, I'd be very interested in your assessment of its crash performance (do you think it came away TOO easily). I've often had reservations about that mounting system, and I've considered replacing it with something stronger, even if it meant replacing the topcase with a Givi.

Anyway, hope you and Chris heal quickly. Always look forward to your insightful posts!!

WJ

Stef, I am glad you and your wife will be OK after a healing period.

Get well and ride again soon.

Glad the gear worked cuz I get laughed at

gearing up for my short commute to and from work.

Heal well and enjoy that great food in Italy.

Larry

Stef,

I tend not to post too often myself, but I always enjoy your post. I'm glad you and your wife are recovering. I've had broken ribs a couple of times in my life. Laughing and sneezing are miserable. Hopefully the repairs and healing to both of your bodies will be quick and with minimal pain. Good Luck!!

Don

So glad you both made it through without serious injuries. The injuries with senses of humor are a a lot nicer! :lol:

Sorry about the bike though!

Wow, folks I'm overwhelmed by both the sheer number and the warmth of your get-well messages. :thumbup: Guess I'm gonna go out now and take a tumble down the stairs. That oughta be worth another, say, 20 posts... :no:

So, first of all thanks everyone. I'm never gonna get to ride with all of you but it would be a great privilege to. A finer company just does not exist. Madmike, you do “meet the nicest people on an FJR”

I’ll try to answer some of the direct questions in your posts. It’s not as though I don’t have the time (I could get used to this luxury... :D )

Windjammer: upon the (RH) side impact, the Yammy OEM top case broke the retaining plastic bar of the mounting plate (located just aft of the passenger seat) and flew off. I consider that a good thing, actually, or Chris may (or may not) have been still in her seat when the bike flipped and dove wheels up down the slope to become entangled in brush and small trees some 20 ft below the road surface. That possibility is pretty scary and I really don’t want to go there...

Luke: here’s what I wrote to my old-time friend and fellow FJR-rider Jim from Raleigh, NC who put the same question to me. “A round chunk of resin, paint and clearcoat is missing from the RH side of my Shoei full-face and the visor's scratched to hell. My Hein Gericke jacket is torn at the right armpit and the RH shoulder has hit the ground at some speed (scuffing and tearing) . No sign of impact at the elbows. My riding pants are almost intact, save for a round earth stain and scuffing right there where the knee protector is (thanks little guy). The same trouser leg is burned at the shin where I came into contact with the exhaust (was it when I followed the bike down the slope?). Be interesting to check the exhaust system for a black spot and place me on top of that.

Gloves are somewhere, can't locate them yet. I found a big fat blister on my left hand at the root of my index finger that I just can't explain...

The ankle boots I was wearing did good. The right one has been sliced up (but not through and through) atop the big toe. Babe's a goner but died to save me from the brake pedal.

In all, a big thank you to protective gear and to me for wearing it. 2 guys in our group were wearing jeans and one boy/girl crew was wearing open helmets. Uh...oh. Hellooo..? I can just mentally transfer the gouges and cuts I saw on our helmets' chinguards and place them on our faces. So can our friends by now, I bet.”

To sum it up, both Chris and I wore ¾ length riding jackets with shoulder and elbow inserts + padding over ribbed back protectors by Dainese with shoulder slings and a waistband. (Pictures from the day before made me look like a fat hunchback in this attire but I’m glad I stuck with it). We both wore riding trousers with knee protectors. My inserts were chafing my shins when I walked but were perfectly snug when I took my riding position. The right one took a direct hit just below the knee and I don’t even have a bruise there.

Finally, we both wore riding boots. Hers were leather AlpineStars touring boots, mine were Brand-X leather touring boots (€39,99 in Germany) that were however somehow reinforced (that light-colored layer). As you can see from the picture, they were cut (probably by the brake pedal) but not pierced open.

Boot.JPG

I reckon nothing short of Moto-X hard boots could have kept my foot from being crushed.

Both our helmets were fiber, no ABS or other thermoplastic material.

Bikerskier: right now I’m sipping on Chateau Mineral (due to the medication). Some full-bodied red wines are however in my plans for next week.

Madmike: I did not have any problem locating my FJR off the road, since I landed on top of her. But I can relate to that walking-in-a-daze feeling as someone walked me to the opposite side of the road, made me sit on the topcase and gingerly took my right boot off and started tending to my injuries.

Right then, a couple street bikes (R6?) negotiated the very same bend at a lower speed (maybe 20MPH) and one nearly went down, too.

Techniques? I’d love to agree with you that I reacted as I was trained. Truth is, I don’t know. Did I do something stupid instead and lose the front wheel? That “blacked out time” as Dana called it covers those few instants and will probably never release them.

As for the FJR, I’ve polled my buddies via e-mail on the damage they saw and we’re almost 100% agreed on the shopping list for parts and repairs. Unless some structural damage surfaces, the bike is not totaled at all and will most likely be back in service at the end of April. I now need to get the bike out of that farmer's shed and back home...

Rentaroo, Chris and I will be in the States for most of the month of August but we’re definitely gonna hook up with you in Italy come September.

Thanks again everyone from Chris and me..

CS.jpg

PS: This is exactly what we were wearing last Sunday... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Stef you will be back in saddle in no time and that also goes for your bride . be positive and god bless .

Wishing you and yours a speedy recovery. Hope the bike makes it too. It's not always easy to share these type experiences, so thanks; it grounds oneself when certain things happen to others.

My wife and I don't have riding boots, I didn't think boots as important as pants, jacket, and helmet. You changed my mind we will be buying them today.

God Bless and heal fast!

Nate

Hey Stef - you stole my jacket. That looks like a Hein Gericke Tuareg jacket. I'll be adding the back protector as you did. Great jacket... thanks for testing it for me. :D

I completely missed this post Stef. I'm glad you came out well enough to post your accident. I was very lucky to escape injury on my crash, so I'll send some you some of the healing powers I didn't need.

I'll be tracking this thread to see how you, your wife and your bike fare.

Get well quick.. :D

I would be the first to offer Free Chiropractic Services for you both if you are ever in Seal Beach, California, USA. Until then, Get checked out by a Chiropractor over your way, it will shorten the healing time for sure!

Hope to hear from you again.