Teerex bites the dust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang, get home from a trip and see this. :eek: So glad you and your bride are for the most part okay! Sounds like the Feejer is a pretty tuff beast as well. Thanks so much for the detailed report.....particularly about your safety gear!!! God bless and speed for your recovery.

Stefano, haven't I told you not to do that???!!! Thanks for gearing up. Sorry it happened but glad you and the wife were able to limp away. Hope you like Vicodin.

My last get-off went "Oh shit! Oh... I'm getting up so I must be OK. Better turn off the engine." Probably not anything you want to remember anyway, especially going over the edge.

Maybe that tour of the Milano wineries would be good for some pain relief. Get the frame and subframe checked. Hope you and the wife heal quickly.

As all the others I wish you a speedy recovery. We hope the repairs go as planned.

Maybe you could post pictures of the helmet damage, that some good can come of it. TJ

Damn Teerex you really know how to show a girl a good time! Glad to hear you two are on the mend. Might think about sueing the government for putting that milepost marker in your way though. :D

Well, Stef, how did the surgery go (assuming it was "outpatient" and didn't require a hospital stay)? Still on meds? Can you find some saddlebags to hang on the crutches?

Well, I've left the hospital and I'm home now.

It was just a 24h stay (2 of which in the OR). My right foot needed a bit of attention, but it sure hurts more now than it did after the crash. :rolleyes:

We'll haul the FJR back home on Monday, with our helmets and all so I can post some interesting pics. I know the one of my Shoei will be a sobering sight... :eek:

Thanks guys! It's nice to be back home and have a great Forum again...

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! The plastic surgery didn't help after all, eh? :haha: Glad your back to at least hobbling 'round the house... :good:

Orthopedic surgery sure does suck. It does give a person time to learn new hobbies and skills as you heal though. Hope you heal quick and Teewrecks51 becomes Teerex51 again soon :)

Stef, having bones operated on isn't fun. Enjoy the pain meds and use them. Bones hurt! Now you know why I wrote a letter to the Olympic Comittee suggesting they not include "Pavement Diving" as an Olympic Event. :D Lots of people on the forum are cheering for your quick recovery. I hope Chris is healing from the bruising she received.

The pictures should be, uhm,er, interesting. :unsure:

Good luck Teerex w/your recovery! Like you said, it hurts worse after surgery! I know what your saying. I had left foot surgery 10/22/04 and it took me an entire year to fully recover. It was w/out a doubt the most painful thing I have ever gone through. The surgeon advised me of such before the operation, that it was the worse recovery of any surgery he performed. What I had done vs. what you had done are completely different and I hope your's will be much shorter and less painful. Keep us posted on your progress. You don't know how much you need healthy feet until you miss one of them. Try to go 1 day w/out and you'll see what I mean.

Guys, I just read about Larry Winter's fatal accident and I've got a banged up foot and a cracked rib for much the same thing that killed him.

There but for the grace of God go I.

I'd gladly limp for another year if I could only nudge his bike back on track. But it just doesn't work that way.

Chris and I will be fine soon and thank you all for your concern. It has helped us a great deal to know there was a whole bunch of good people in our corner. Larry was there, too, and we find it very touching that his last post was to wish us a speedy recovery.

Chris & Stef

Teerex51 -

Whew. Glad you and the better half are OK. So often we read posts about fella's eating asphalt and don't really think about what it could have been. :bigeyes:

Besides.. you HAVE to stay awake until I have chance to cruise URUUP with ya.. ;)

Stef,

Sorry I took so long to post my best wishes for a speedy recovery for the two of you both. I think that you will be adding a St. Christopher medal to your riding gear from now on. I (like many other forum members), have enjoyed your spirited riding video and hope you will soon be fit enough to make some new ones in your beautiful country! I suppose it will be a while before you will be able to ride again, comfortably. It may be a bit before you will be able to wear a matching pair of equal-sized boots. May I suggest puttering around in a lightweight Vespa for a while as you continue healing. I hope that your wife will regain her composure soon and continue to keep you company on the bike. Some women may not regain their comfort in the saddle for a while, particularily after such an accident, don't try to hurry her too much, eh?

I was supposed to take my mother and family to Italy this spring to visit her home town of Como. It looks like we will have to delay her trip till next spring as she is undergoing corrective heart surgury soon. If you get to the Detroit area look me up, I have plenty of bikes in my stable. :)

just caught your thread...(been working too much) Stef?! Down?! No way!

Best wishes in your recovery...listen to the docs, allow your body to heal, keep up the great attitude and don't stray far from the keyboard!

Regards

Brad

Stef,

Another batch of late good wishes. Somehow missed this thread with all the activity this weekend. Sad to see it here, but glad you were the one writing it.

Anyway, let me just second (3rd, 97th?) the wishes for a fast and easy recovery for you and your wife.

ATGATT is the way to go...

Gee Stef, what's going on? I haven't been on the board for a few days and people are falling of their bikes left and right. I guess it's the start of the season.

Glad to hear that you and your wife are alive to tell. Hope you both heal fast. I have been there myself.

Another round of best wishes from your Forum friends on the other side of the Pond. Be well Stef and Chris.

Hey, Stef, did you get down to see the bike today? My elder brain seems to remember you were going to try and get it home this weekend.

Mike,

You remembered correctly. I decided not to post and let the thread die down, however, as I thought our little misfortune was nothing in comparison to Larry's passing.

I did ride down with my mechanic buddy and we picked up the bike. He treated me to a CSI-like reconstruction of the accident based on the tracks still visible on the road and the telltale signs he (alone) saw on my bike.

Here's how it went down. Some fine grit lay on the roadway past the apex of the right-hand bend and it was all but invisible in the shadow of the trees. I entered the bend at a reasonable lean angle and was pro'lly doing 25mph. When I had my line, I opened up some and thereby unloaded the front wheel. Enter grit patch and suddenly my front tire floats.

Handlebars shake in my hands and I roll off the gas. Front tire regains some grip but I'm kind of traversed on the road and I can't hold her up.

We go down hard on the RH side, wife flies off and I'm momentarily caught under the Feejer, Moko slider bends and drags and almost shears off. We careen together across the opposite lane and the rear tire karate-chops and dislodges an old-fashioned granite milestone (see it in the foreground in the first pic). Bike flips and slides down the hillside and I somehow land on top of her (mmh...those headers are hot!). For some reason my Shoei helmet shows a hard hit on the left side and a patch of resin, paint an clearcoat has exploded off it on the opposite side (probably as the helmet returned to its shape after the impact). My own recollections only begin again now, as I scramble up the hillside.

Wreckedbike.jpg

One of our guys rides down to the next village and enlists the help of a local guy with a winch-equipped 4x4. Within 15 minutes of hard work (they had to keep me away from the scene at gunpoint), the Feejer regains the surface. My wife Chris is standing on the road's edge (all dressed in black, white shirt collar) and still does not know her right hand is busted.

Wreckedbike1.jpg

Bike now stands on the side of the road and the damage is clear. Fairing's a mess on the RH side, metal frame inside is also FUBAR, mirrors, sliders -- everything must go. We're in a for a complete respray as the dry timber scratched the bike all around. But the initial verdict on the frame and fork is positive.

Wreckedbike2.jpg

This afternoon I'm gonna hobble down to the garage and start removing the fairing parts and hope to find no further surprises...

Stef