The Evil that is 13....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Gen II mirror spacers from Twisted Throttle... look like they might work if the mirror is carried over from Gen II. You get stud extenders with that kit, and have the benefit of better rear view visibility.

My guess is that one of our forum members will likely find a good source for mirror stud extenders (if we don't have this info already), because I really do think those with the thicker GenII brackets will need them on the GenIII.

It would also mean the light brackets would be outboard more along with the mirror. Don't know if that's a good thing.
It is a good thing. As a general rule, the higher and more outboard one can mount aux lights, the better.

However, the latter has to be tempered within reason... the more outboard (away from the centerline of the bike) they are mounted, the more you increase moment arm forces. The greater the moment arm forces, the greater chance of eventual trouble wrt subframe failure or bracket failure.

Fortunately, with the advent of much lighter LED aux lamps that are becoming more prevalent in the Endurance Riding community, the moment arm issues can be minimized. When the relatively thick Gen II brackets were developed a decade ago, lots of folks were still running the hefty-ass PIAA 910 lamps, or similar. So the extra beef was need to prevent long-term bracket fatigue on those setups.

These 1800L LED lamps I am using in these test fitment photos are less than 9oz total, including its small attachment bracket.
thumb.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! (IE, I'm jealous!) I'm sure it will be farkled up to snuff in no time. (And will need new tires next week!)

I temper the above remarks with the following: all brand-new, off -the-showroom bikes will (obviously) feel marvelous, tight and firm, etc. So suspension impressions should wait a little until I have some miles racked up.
So how about now.

It's been DAYS!!!

Congrats on the new ride and getting through the crap life throws (again).

[*]Alternator output has allegedly been increased to just under 600 watts.
Congrats on the new bike! My local Yam/Suz dealer has one in the crate but it's not on the floor yet - but they told me about it when I was in getting rear brake pads last week.

The alternator output is the same as Gen II, yes? Seems to me GenI is 490, GenII is 590.

I did ask the sales manager if they had increased this, he knows me and we talk from time to time so knows my "wants", he didn't think it had changed.

I'm anxious to see how you & Fairlaner like your new bikes and if there are any teething issues. I'd love to get one, but my GenII still has lots of life left in it and more important, it's paid for! I am jealous of that factory cruise! My CCS100 died on the Wisconcin/NC trip. I bought a new kit from Murph's but it's still in the box awaiting R&R with the old one. It still isn't as good as a factory unit, but it works -usually...........

Holy crap...

Reno John, Catfish, beeroux...!!

They are coming out of the woodwork for this new 2013 model!! :p

Never thought I'd see Dale on a Gen III so soon. But then, he is reluctant to embrace his future GL1800 needs for two up riding. :lol:

Glad to see you having some fun with the new bike Dale. Congrats on things being ok enough to take that loan on so you and the SO can enjoy more riding time together w/o any stress of the old bike having issues and with some additional comfort items like the integrated CC. I am jealous of the CC.

Looks like the S/T mode is the same as the Super Tenere, only need the throttle closed in order to get it to switch. Doing that at speed is cleaner with the clutch in, so I don't know if that's a requirement or simply a result of not wanting to drop speed when I want to change modes at speed. (I've only done that on rare occasions as I just leave it in Sport mode 99.9% of the time.)

TCS is only on/off? Probably all that's needed on a street bike.

Skoot-Skoot and that pic. A. That's not a kilt, it's a skirt. I was there and saw the woman take it off, and Skoot-Skirt put it on. Ya should have seen him prancing about the Playa like a carefree 10 year old. What ever makes you happy!

I guess with all this '13 Gen III activity, Doug is going to have to do that server swap ASAP. Pretty soon there will be the usual surge of new owners joining the site and bumping up the forum traffic.

The alternator output is the same as Gen II, yes? Seems to me GenI is 490, GenII is 590.
We have heard speculation from Cypress that alternator output is unchanged, but we do NOT know that for a fact yet.

I am hoping it has been increased a little... there are a number of additional electronic packages on this model, compared to GenII. Fly-by-wire throttle system, TCS, Cruise Control, etc.

Along these lines, Paula and I did some casual electrical testing yesterday afternoon before I reassembled the bike. She held voltmeter leads on the battery while I cycled through various combinations of headlight settings, Heated Grips, windscreen operation, etc, etc. At 2000 rpm, with the bike in its nominal configuration, the voltmeter pushed a steady 14.46v.

Throwing on the heated grips momentarily dropped it to 14.2v, then climbed back up to 14.46 within 3-4 seconds. This happened regardless of the heated grip setting: lo, med and high all behaved the same.

Windscreen activation barely budged the voltmeter readout.

Tried various combo's of brake lights, turn signals, windscreen and heated grips... each time, the voltmeter would momentarily dip a few tenths, then go back up to the 14.4v range.

Biggest single drop was the *concurrent* use of brake lights, heated grips on highest setting, and windscreen activation, which brought it down to 14.1v.

This is far from conclusive testing, but the results were interesting nonetheless. I was impressed with the heated grip findings... I expected a bigger voltage drop on the highest setting, but the drop was slight, and only momentary. B)

14.4? Wow! Never seen over 14.2 on my Gen I.
I did on my Gen I.... for a few months. :rolleyes: Then it was more like 14.2 in its nominal configuration.

Installing the ElectroSport stator made an additional 50-ish watts available, but as a consequence, dropped the voltage readout down to ~ 13.9v, which is about where it is till this day.

Skoot-Skoot and that pic. A. That's not a kilt, it's a skirt. I was there and saw the woman take it off, and Skoot-Skirt put it on. Ya should have seen him prancing about the Playa like a carefree 10 year old. What ever makes you happy!
OH GOD OC!! You had to confirm it didn't ya! That's a Skirt!! A girls Skirt! Now I'll Never get that image out of my head! Where's the Tequila?! :blink:

!
We have heard speculation from Cypress that alternator output is unchanged, but we do NOT know that for a fact yet.

I am hoping it has been increased a little... there are a number of additional electronic packages on this model, compared to GenII. Fly-by-wire throttle system, TCS, Cruise Control, etc. <snip>
I'm hoping you're right too! It would be great to see the output massaged a bit, and have the part back fit on previous yrs.

Time will tell; youse is the pioneers!

NEWS FLASH: Warchild Ride Report in Progress

Somewhere in Eastern Washington, 14:23 PDT

by: Ignacio

Warchild called me via cell and I'm relaying as close to verbatim as I can.

It is with a sad and heavy heart that I must report that the cruise control does appear to be limited to 80 mph on the top end. Where I had noted initially I thought it held in excess of 80....I discovered that it sets at a maximum of 82 mph indicated on the speedometer and that corresponds to solid 80 mph as verified by Mr. Garmin. :( :(
I tried several combination where I set the cruise near and tried to raise it higher--with no luck. And also to try and set it at 90 mph and continually as it dropped. It just won't set for any speed above an 82 indicated or 80 actual.
He didn't say it and won't do it himself, but agreed when I suggested the call needs to go out to forum immediately: Let the cruise control hacking begin!

Warchild also reported:

I will have many more things to report tonight after I return from Ellensburg including many things to say about aerodynamics.
Warchild is an early Gen I owner based out of West Richland, WA and the second FJR forum member to purchase a Gen III FJR, and regularly reports with snarky detail on his LD adventures, farkles, and FJR opinion. When he's not combing his thick and luxurious head of hair-he's a full-time computer nerd and father of a gaggle of children.

is there a factory TPMS option?

how hackable is all this electronic EMS? Is it time to do a dump of the central processor and start modding all bike behavior in software instead of buying hardware bits? :p

Warchild is an early Gen I owner based out of West Richland, WA and the second FJR forum member to purchase a Gen III FJR, and regularly reports with snarky detail on his LD adventures, farkles, and FJR opinion. When he's not combing his thick and luxurious head of hair-he's a full-time computer nerd and father of a gaggle of children.
Wait, he had money for hair plugs too!? Awesome! You GO Dale. :clapping: :clapping:

;)