The Evil that is 13....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys and your electrical needs. I feel like I fell into a deep pit of electricity on my FJR coming from my Gen I FZ1!

NEWS FLASH: Warchild Ride Report in Progress

Somewhere in Eastern Washington, 14:23 PDT

by: Ignacio

Warchild called me via cell and I'm relaying as close to verbatim as I can.

It is with a sad and heavy heart that I must report that the cruise control does appear to be limited to 80 mph on the top end. Where I had noted initially I thought it held in excess of 80....I discovered that it sets at a maximum of 82 mph indicated on the speedometer and that corresponds to solid 80 mph as verified by Mr. Garmin. :( :(
I tried several combination where I set the cruise near and tried to raise it higher--with no luck. And also to try and set it at 90 mph and continually as it dropped. It just won't set for any speed above an 82 indicated or 80 actual.
He didn't say it and won't do it himself, but agreed when I suggested the call needs to go out to forum immediately: Let the cruise control hacking begin!

Warchild also reported:

I will have many more things to report tonight after I return from Ellensburg including many things to say about aerodynamics.
Warchild is an early Gen I owner based out of West Richland, WA and the second FJR forum member to purchase a Gen III FJR, and regularly reports with snarky detail on his LD adventures, farkles, and FJR opinion. When he's not combing his thick and luxurious head of hair-he's a full-time computer nerd and father of a gaggle of children.
Shouldn't this be an issue that Yamaha USA should resolve, as it won't even maintain the speed limit on the new toll way in Texas :)

Grady

Last edited by a moderator:
"Officer, I had to test the Audiovox CCS100 cruise control to ensure it would set while riding at 112 mph".

"What, are you an idiot? Do you know how fast you were going?"

"No, seriously, ossifer, my bud Warchild from the FJRForum just reported that the brand new 2013 Yamaha OEM CC wouldn't set above 80, and this is the first ( ;) ) time I've tried to set the 80 dollar aftermarket CC to such an excessive and unsafe speed. I had to test it, for scientific reasons!"

"What, you know Warchild? I've been after that hooligan for years now.

You're going to jail son."

Please post bail. I need to ride.

..and yes, the AudioVox will set and control at 80+ :lol: so if you want to trade that POS Gen3 for a marvelous low mileage Gen2... ;)

Skoot-Skoot and that pic. A. That's not a kilt, it's a skirt. I was there and saw the woman take it off, and Skoot-Skirt put it on. Ya should have seen him prancing about the Playa like a carefree 10 year old. What ever makes you happy!
So who is the homosexual that posted a picture of Skooty in the skirt and NOT the girl who just took the skirt off?

Is there an idle adjustment knob?

These servo controlled throttle valve engines may not have an idle adjustment. The computer adjusts the idle rpm automatically by manipulating the throttle valves.

Wonder if the idle is much steadier and smoother than on the earlier models?

A little late to the party here -- but CONGRATS dale on # 13 :clapping: :clapping: May all your farkling be excellent :) ................ think I'll wait for the sale of a fully farkled Gen 3 :lol:

Congrats Dale!!

Had a chance to look at the tail structure?

Hopefully upgraded from the Gen II

:poster_oops:
Howdy, Councilman!!

Are you referring to the rear tail light area?

rearTailLight.jpg

Or are you referring to the rear sub-frame region?

UnderSeatArea.jpg

RearSubframe.jpg

TEST QUESTION for youse Gen II guys (assuming this assembly is identical to Gen 2).... see the three wires going into that brake light holder below? Is is samey-same as Gen II? Blue, Yellow and brown wires.... is not the blue wire running light, and yellow wire the brake light? Yes? No?

RearConnector.jpg

TEST QUESTION for youse Gen II guys (assuming this assembly is identical to Gen 2).... see the three wires going into that brake light holder below? Is is samey-same as Gen II? Blue, Yellow and brown wires.... is not the blue wire running light, and yellow wire the brake light? Yes? No?
Assuming it's the same as GenII (looks like it), then yes, that's correct

Is there an idle adjustment knob?
There is no idle adjustment knob.

These servo controlled throttle valve engines may not have an idle adjustment. The computer adjusts the idle rpm automatically by manipulating the throttle valves.
Wonder if the idle is much steadier and smoother than on the earlier models?
My idle stays dead-nuts right on 1050 rpm, never waivers. And it is exceptionally smooth (thought is should be, with only 500 miles on the bike.)

Sooooo, looks like they did re-tool the tail light/signals, but no LED's.......
Correct, they are still all incandescent in the rear taillight area.

But aside from the H4s, all other lights on the bike are LED.

Congrats Dale!!

Had a chance to look at the tail structure?

Hopefully upgraded from the Gen II

:poster_oops:
Howdy, Councilman!!

Or are you referring to the rear sub-frame region?

RearSubframe.jpg

RearConnector.jpg
Does the brown wire enter about 2 o'clock? Then it is the same. Loaned my service manual out so I can't look at the diagram :(

Well, the good news is the Givi rack looks as though it will fit or the subframe will look like this-

That's with a large Givi top case and 3 IBR's

:rolleyes:

image.jpg

Triangle gussets added after '07 rally and the bar-strut was added after '09. Givi rack installed for '11 and it seems to be doing the trick.

:glare: :glare: :glare:

Here's what the subframe looked like after the '07 IBR ready to go to the welder

Looking at the cracks, skipping the triangle gussets and doing a strut from the top of the outside triangles forward to the area of the fender abs mounts may have been a success. I don't think the welder understood the load path.

Ironbuttrally260.jpg

There are some perks to be had when you are in tight with your friendly Yamaha dealership!
bling_cool.gif

The 4-foot x 6-foot 2013 FJR1300 marketing poster, just outta the box and unrolled in front of the garage door:

Poster_4x6.jpg

A closer shot of the bike....
thumb.gif

Poster_closeup.jpg

This will be going up on my garage wall somewhere....
bling_cool.gif
bling_cool.gif
bling_cool.gif

RearConnector.jpg
Does the brown wire enter about 2 o'clock? Then it is the same. Loaned my service manual out so I can't look at the diagram :(
Blue wire should be 12V positive to the running lights. Yellow wire will be the 12V positive to the brake lamps. Brown is the positive going to the left turn signal. Green is the positive going to the right turn and black wire is ground or if you prefer negative since we are talking a 12 V DC loop that is referenced to the negative terminal of the battery.