The Evil that is 13....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dale i used the blue wire to trigger my relay so yes it is the same.

Cruise control sucks, well not really but 82!!!!!!!!!!

I like the way it handles too, i have made not adjustments yet and it handled great...

R

The number 13 is pure evil.... as in, the new 2013 FJR1300 model....

And now, I own the 13th FJR to come off the assembly line in Japan... #000013
I stopped by my local Yam/Suz dealer in Titusville (Spaceport Cycles); Check this out!:

Serial number 4!

2013FJR001.jpg

2013FJR002.jpg

The sales manager (Mark) said I was about the 5th guy in there taking pics LOL

Obviously, I am confused.

On Fairlainers post # 32, the picture of the mirror mounts show them to be recessed so the old aux light brackets won't fit. In Warchilds post #163 he shows what looks like the old aux light mounts.

Will the old aux light mounts work? Are there two different mirror mounts? Do I need another cup of coffee?

Howard

Warchild used washers to fill the depression so he could use the LBs. Coffee - no, glasses maybe? See post #177. :rolleyes:

I made him a set of spacers for more rigidity. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That is unbelievable to get the 4th production 2013 FJR, would be worth way more than later numbers,,, Wow.....
I know; in my dream world I would buy this and keep it as my around town bike, largely unmolested by the farkles that have engulfed my '09.

Then I wake up and add up my discretionary income.........Jeeesh!

This bike was just announced what like what? A month and a half ago? And we already have the very first bikes here in the states right off the assembly line? How long has Yamaha been planning this and did the C14 getting it's update or anything else influence their decision? People have been waiting and speculating about an update for ages and out of the blue they released a heavily revised and well sorted bike. Just wondering

Speedometer/Gas Mileage Report:

There is nothing overly earth-shattering to report here, except that the mpg calculation readout on the Info Pod appears to be mighty accurate.

The difference between Indicated Air Speed (IAS) and Actual Ground Speed AGS was uncharacteristically small. Meaning this speedometer is disturbingly accurate. All IAS numbers are right off the large digital speedometer; recorded AGS speeds were Garmin GPS readouts.

All numbers MPH: Miles Per Hour

26 IAS ----- 25 AGS

36 IAS ----- 35 AGS

46 IAS ----- 45 AGS

57 IAS ----- 55 AGS

67 IAS ----- 65 AGS

72 IAS ----- 70 AGS

82 IAS ----- 80 AGS (Maximum setting on Cruise Control)

93 IAS ----- 90 AGS

With only 300-ish miles on this engine, I didn't spend much time above 90 AGS....

Miles Per Gallon:

Two (2) 107 mile test runs were conducted, and unfortunately, both were done in "Touring" mode (though I had intended to switch to "Sport" mode for the second run, but forgot to).

Test #1: 107 miles, mostly interstate. Lots of experimenting with Cruise Control, so there was a fair amount of time in the 80+ mph range.

RESULTS: Indicated: 41.9 mpg Actual: 42.2 mpg

Test #2: The same 107 miles as above, just reversed. Cruise Control was engaged at exactly 72mph indicated (70 AGS), and the CC was engaged for at least 70% of this test run.

RESULTS: Indicated: 44.1 mpg Actual: 44.3 mpg

Obviously, I am confused.

On Fairlainers post # 32, the picture of the mirror mounts show them to be recessed so the old aux light brackets won't fit. In Warchilds post #163 he shows what looks like the old aux light mounts.

Will the old aux light mounts work? Are there two different mirror mounts? Do I need another cup of coffee?

Howard
I don't know about coffee, but reading comprehension would be *extremely* helpful in this case. :)

Speedometer/Gas Mileage Report:

There is nothing overly earth-shattering to report here, except that the mpg calculation readout on the Info Pod appears to be mighty accurate.

The difference between Indicated Air Speed (IAS) and Actual Ground Speed AGS was uncharacteristically small. Meaning this speedometer is disturbingly accurate. All IAS numbers are right off the large digital speedometer; recorded AGS speeds were Garmin GPS readouts.

All numbers MPH: Miles Per Hour

26 IAS ----- 25 AGS

36 IAS ----- 35 AGS

46 IAS ----- 45 AGS

57 IAS ----- 55 AGS

67 IAS ----- 65 AGS

72 IAS ----- 70 AGS

82 IAS ----- 80 AGS (Maximum setting on Cruise Control)

93 IAS ----- 90 AGS

With only 300-ish miles on this engine, I didn't spend much time above 90 AGS....

Miles Per Gallon:

Two (2) 107 mile test runs were conducted, and unfortunately, both were done in "Touring" mode (though I had intended to switch to "Sport" mode for the second run, but forgot to).

Test #1: 107 miles, mostly interstate. Lots of experimenting with Cruise Control, so there was a fair amount of time in the 80+ mph range.

RESULTS: Indicated: 41.9 mpg Actual: 42.2 mpg

Test #2: The same 107 miles as above, just reversed. Cruise Control was engaged at exactly 72mph indicated (70 AGS), and the CC was engaged for at least 70% of this test run.

RESULTS: Indicated: 44.1 mpg Actual: 44.3 mpg

Interesting, thanks for the report.

Btw, "airspeed" would not be the correct term to use here, but I'm assuming you already know that.

100-mile 2-Up Ride Report

I took Paula out on the GenIII yesterday for a 100-mile romp in the Columbia Basin, mostly at my secret High Desert Proving Grounds.
bling_cool.gif

She reports numerous, significant changes for the pillion compared to the original FJR. Chief among them is the *substantial* reduction of pillion helmet buffeting from the windscreen. She remarked about this several times. We experimented with raising/lower the windscreen incrementally and then ran thru various speeds, everything from residential speeds of 25 mph, up to supra-legal interstate speeds of 85+ mph.

She claims that when the windscreen is completely down, that's the position that is the most quiet, and that's the position of the least helmet buffeting at supra-legal speeds.

I have the rider's seat in the highest position (not because I have a ginormous inseam, rather, I am doing everything possible to extend the distance between hips and my ate-up, increasingly problematic knees). Because we are coming from the Gen I, which did not offer a height-adjustable seat, she also claims that she is protected more by my body - she thinks that is also a significant factor for the less wind noise observed. I should note that, at 5'8" and ~ 140lbs, Paula is not a tiny waif of a female. A lot of her height is in her inseam, so I am waiting to see if she has any complaints of leg room over time.

We did some brief triple-digit speed runs with the screen all the way down, and all the way up. In all instances, it was noticeably and substantially improved over the GenI. Yamaha has done a LOT of homework with this windscreen design. It appears to sit at a noticeably steeper angle than earlier generations; it probably mimics the angle that the Rifle Tuning Block guys used to rave about a decade ago. To give you an idea of the relative quietness at speed compared to earlier generations, Paula and I (using the phenomenal Sena SMH10 Bluetooth intercoms) were able to exchanged and understand spoken words at 103mph indicated. That's extremely impressive... on the Gen I with stock windscreen, we really couldn't hold a meaningful conversation above 85-ish mph.

Another highlight: I can now tell you without any reservation that the rear shock is *substantially* reworked from earlier generations. The big main spring appears noticeably larger than prior model years. Yamaha must have done a lot of work on shock internals as well - the ride seems much more compliant is every way. Paula is quite happy with the ride comfort back there, and remarked that is was a considerable improvement over rough roads, railroad crossings, etc.

All the above flowery shit having been said - 2-up riding for us on the GenIII is not without a couple of niggles (though nothing severe). We both know these stock seats aren't going to cut the mustard for the kind of Endurance runs we have planned. At the end of the 100 miles yesterday, Paula said there is NO WAY she would want to repeat the SaddleSore 1000 we did last August (on the way to the IBA National) on the GenIII stock rear seat. Me, I had already come to this conclusion on a 200-mile test jaunt last Friday... we will undoubtedly be motoring to see Rick Mayer come the latter springtime, when the northern California passes are snow-free.

Now that I think about it, towards the end of the ride, Paula did mention that it is *possible* that she has lost a bit of legroom compared to the Gen I. Since I was able to retain my original FJR, we still have it available to test her theory. Like I say, at 5'8" and a 32-inch inseam, Paula already is behind the curve regarding legroom, compared to a lot of females. Possibly, a set of passenger footpeg lowering brackets is in our future.

Headlight Beamcast Update

I am increasingly unhappy with the beamcast while in low-beam setting. :angry:

There is a very large "cone of darkness" emerging from both sides of the low-beam that many night-time riders of GenI/II bikes will not like. As you sit on the bike, these "cones of darkness" emerge at the same angle as the mirror stalks. The darkness is substantial. Me no likee. Further investigation is indicated. :unsure:

Thanks Dale, for the positive spin on everything. So great to read objective seat-of-the-pants reviews. I was just going to ask about buffeting and there it is. Is there still a 4th gear whine ? I ride around town in 4th alot, traffic moves pretty slowly here, and am used to that straight cut 4th gear whine, still there? Thought ya oughta know, 13 is aluminum's atomic number too , so its all good then !

Bobby

Thanks Dale, for the positive spin on everything. So great to read objective seat-of-the-pants reviews. I was just going to ask about buffeting and there it is. Is there still a 4th gear whine ? I ride around town in 4th alot, traffic moves pretty slowly here, and am used to that straight cut 4th gear whine, still there? Thought ya oughta know, 13 is aluminum's atomic number too , so its all good then !

Bobby
While I believe Yamaha has tweaked on the tranny a little bit, yes, the straight-gear whine is still prevalent. I actually like it... it's comforting to hear. ;) :lol:

When I say Yamaha may have tweaked on the tranny, recall when the bike first came out, many remarked about the substantial "clunk" sound when stepping on the shifter to go into first gear. I have something new to report here (unsure if the Gen IIs had this): when the GenIII bike is *cold*, there is no "clunk" sound stepping into first gear whatsoever! However, when the bike is up to operating temp, the familiar "clunk" sound stepping into first gear is still there, though it *seems* to be a little less severe. On my Gen I, you got the "clunk" sound cold, hot, or anywhere in between.

Warchild, Did your wife think there was more (or less) space for the pillion? My '03 crowds my wife (similar size as yours) and I have considered a Gen2 just to please her.

Or....is it the factory trunk (pad is removed) pushing her forward on her custom Bill Mayer saddle? I would prefer to skip a step and upgrade to the Gen3 and get all the additional upgrades to boot!!!

You're a bastage, Dale. Used to call you "Farkle Satan" for all you cost me on the XX and FJR platforms, but now it's proselytizing about a whole new platform!!! Trying to be strong, and until I sell some other things, susceptibility is limited, but there are a few items in your report that REALLY sound attractive.

Do you know if the exhaust systems are compatible from Gen I to II to III? Specifically, will my Gen I mounted Muzzy 4-2-1 bolt onto a Gen III? (Or would I have to sell it to CAJW?) ;)

Warchild, Did your wife think there was more (or less) space for the pillion? My '03 crowds my wife (similar size as yours) and I have considered a Gen2 just to please her.

Or....is it the factory trunk (pad is removed) pushing her forward on her custom Bill Mayer saddle? I would prefer to skip a step and upgrade to the Gen3 and get all the additional upgrades to boot!!!
Paula would be quick to point out that she is my Significant Other, not my wife. ;) :lol: Though it is entirely possible that could change in the future. Just not anytime soon.

Regardless, I will pose your questions to her, and see what she says...

FYI: while she was using a Russell saddle on the Gen I, we don't have the Yamaha top box, rather, we have the Givi V46 without the passenger pad installed.