The Evil that is 13....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears that the upper fairings came off without removing the entire nose as a unit, unlike previous gens. Either that or Dale has some busted-ass bodywork.....

Hey, it looks like they came off before the lower fairings. On previous gens, you started with the lower sides....

It's all goofy!

It appears that the upper fairings came off without removing the entire nose as a unit, unlike previous gens. Either that or Dale has some busted-ass bodywork.....

Hey, it looks like they came off before the lower fairings. On previous gens, you started with the lower sides....

It's all goofy!
Not sure what you mean by upper fairings but the A,B,C,D panels that are on a Gen2 have been reduced to A,B,C panels on the Gen3 with the B panel running the entire width of the bike.

I have to say that i was a little intimidated by them this morning but they are actually easier to R&R than the Gen2....

R

Well, here we go....
bling_cool.gif

BracketTest1.jpg

BracketTest2.jpg

thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
How come there ain't no bugs on the front of that beauty?

Oh, yeah....you've spent the better part of the week playing instead of riding!

I forgot!

:p :p :p

So then, given higher capacity alternator and all, has Yamaha increased the wire gage from RR output to main fuse?

If it's still 12 gage, ya'll are in for trouble assuming you keep the bike more than a couple of years and ride it more than 120k or so..

Very interested to see if the RR output connector is different and if the output wire gage has decreased (bigger).

Of course, sure would not blame you if you don't care to pull it apart to look either. ;)

How solid is the mounting area for the front blinkers? How about a panel that goes between the lens and fairing for a HID light set up? :unsure:

It's all goofy!
Not sure what you mean by upper fairings but the A,B,C,D panels that are on a Gen2 have been reduced to A,B,C panels on the Gen3 with the B panel running the entire width of the bike.

I have to say that i was a little intimidated by them this morning but they are actually easier to R&R than the Gen2....

R

My bad. It appears that there's actually not any upper fairing pieces, the side fairings go all the way to the inner panels. That certainly would make life a bit easier!

But since I don't have one to tear down, I'm at a bit of a disadvantage here! :p

I've just sped-read, dribble-drooled thru 15 pages of this and Richards 2013 arrival threads but don't see the answer......is there an upper speed limitation on the cruise control ?

thanks and congrats on snagging the new ride.

I've just sped-read, dribble-drooled thru 15 pages of this and Richards 2013 arrival threads but don't see the answer......is there an upper speed limitation on the cruise control ?

thanks and congrats on snagging the new ride.
Funny, I found it in about 12 seconds searching the thread on "cruise".
thanks, I did find that comment, but it indicated some further testing or confirmation might be needed.

Upper limit has not been found, and both Fairlaner and Warchild haven't been carted off to jail. All good so far. :D

You know....that we know of.

would have to ride it for that to happen......

Tomorrow i am heading down to San Diego so who knows...... :rolleyes: I do have Radar now so all is good.

R

Dale are they just washers?

R

thanks, I did find that comment, but it indicated some further testing or confirmation might be needed.
So, you are caught up then. No change in the past 56 hours.
Let's give these poor guys some time. They manned up and bought the bikes. Then they gave a "First Ride Impression". They immediately tore them apart and took multiple excellent pics. They have posted their findings and their pics. They have taken time to answer all our questions without once sounding like they were bragging. They have not snapped (Yet!) and said, "Go buy your own damned bike if you want to know that bad!" I hope they take some time to actually ride them.

I am truly impressed. I am not even ready to upgrade yet but I can't stop following these two threads.

I am done dinking around under the bodywork for a while... spent way too much time with the bike torn apart since bringing it home.

It is totally reassembled now, and I am going to keep it that way until I finish the initial 600-mile maintenance this Sunday afternoon.

I'm sure I'll have a lot more observations to share by then. :D

Mine is almost back together too, i did add a little weight today though......probably slowed it down to 04 specs now......... :clapping: :clapping:

R

Dale are they just washers?
For now, yes, just washers. Took about 5 washers to clear the leading edge of the recess (which is deeper than the aft section).

I am starting to get concerned about youse guys that have the Gen II brackets that are heftier/beefier than the modified Gen I bracket you see in these test fitment photos.

The reason is: I am *just* clearing the bodywork in this setup, but still barely had enough threads remaining on the mirror bolts the run the fastener down sufficiently. Y'all that have the thicker Gen II brackets may - possibly - have to end up procuring new brackets, or deal with trying to go with longer attachment hardware. Maybe. Don't know for sure yet.

Another close-up for y'all:

BracketTest3.jpg

I am starting to get concerned about youse guys that have the Gen II brackets that are heftier/beefier than the modified Gen I bracket you see in these test fitment photos.

The reason is: I am *just* clearing the bodywork in this setup, but still barely had enough threads remaining on the mirror bolts the run the fastener down sufficiently. Y'all that have the thicker Gen II brackets may - possibly - have to end up procuring new brackets, or deal with trying to go with longer attachment hardware. Maybe. Don't know for sure yet.
Correct. Apparently Yamaha changed mirror vendors or production plans. I have 3 original 2006 mirrors and 2 mirrors bought in 2011. The stud length on the 2011 mirrors are about, iirc, 4-5 mm shorter. I had to grind ~ 1/3 to 1/2 of the Skyway bracket thickness and spacer to make the mirror fit. Then the subframe broke again, but that's a different story.

Pix and writeup here

I have the Gen II mirror spacers from Twisted Throttle... look like they might work if the mirror is carried over from Gen II. You get stud extenders with that kit, and have the benefit of better rear view visibility. It would also mean the light brackets would be outboard more along with the mirror. Don't know if that's a good thing.