The Evil that is 13....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're a bastage, Dale. Used to call you "Farkle Satan" for all you cost me on the XX and FJR platforms, but now it's proselytizing about a whole new platform!!!
:lol: "Farkle Satan".... ;)

Do you know if the exhaust systems are compatible from Gen I to II to III? Specifically, will my Gen I mounted Muzzy 4-2-1 bolt onto a Gen III? (Or would I have to sell it to CAJW?) ;)
Now, I seem to recall folks moving over their GenI aftermarket exhausts over to the GenII, but it really has been too long since I read about that, to know for certain. Perhaps a GenI-to-GenII owner can speak to this.

As far as Gen I to Gen III transfers, I am in a unique position to determine those items, since both bikes reside side-by-side in the garage. I'll do a quick visual comparo of exhaust mounting points tonight, and see if there are any obvious changes.

Thus far, it appears for certain that the Givi rack for the Gen I will NOT transfer over to the GenIII. While I haven't taken exact measurements on potential differences between the Gen II rear rack and the Gen III rear rack, a naked eyeball appraisal suggests -and only suggests - they might be the same. Don't take that as gospel yet, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thus far, it appears for certain that the Givi rack for the Gen I will NOT transfer over to the GenIII. While I haven't taken exact measurements on potential differences between the Gen II rear rack and the Gen III rear rack, a naked eyeball appraisal suggests -and only suggests - they might be the same. Don't take that as gospel yet, though.
This makes sense. Gen I and Gen II required different Givi mounting racks. Since Gen II seats seem to fit on Gen III my bet is the Gen II Givi rack will work on Gen III.

Don't have much to add to this thread other than congratulations on the new rides, but wanted to have a note on the 13th page to go along with the theme....

It's the 7th page for me. Pthpthpthpthpthpth.
I know your type, you are one of those setting messers. Things come set all nice in a default format and then you go and diddle with 'em. You are probably one of those techie guys that is always configuring and tweaking all day long ;) :lol: Default just can't be good, like stock can't be good.

I know your type, you are one of those setting messers. Things come set all nice in a default format and then you go and diddle with 'em. You are probably one of those techie guys that is always configuring and tweaking all day long ;) :lol: Default just can't be good, like stock can't be good.
I don't think I like your tone in this matter! :angry:

:lol:

Another little tidbit on the Gen III bikes are the rider pegs are different the previous generations.

First, the peg rubber has a different pattern than previous generations running 90 degrees and deeper into the material.

Second, the rubber piece is not solid....it's got an air space below it and you can squeeze the whole thing and watch it deform. It's not just the groove moving, but there's probably a 1/4" of space under it. I would think this will have an effect of transmitting less vibrations to the foot. I would note that Warchild has said the bike seems smoother overall and probably not just because of the foot peg change.

2013fjrfootpeg1.jpg

Thirdly, the bottom of the peg is different and is a two-piece affair instead of the three-piece on Gen II (and presumably Gen II) bikes. The earlier units were aluminum body with a steal reinforcement plate that a beefier sacrificial scraper bolts into. This one appears to be a more rounded tip affair that threads directly into the aluminum peg. The net result appears to be a peg that's probably an ounce or two lighter than the old pegs, but probably with some reduced strength.

2013fjrfootpeg2.jpg

I didn't measure the screw offset for fastening the rubber piece, but I bet they're the same making it possible to interchange various foot peg parts between Gen I/II bikes with Gen III. Regardless of those details--I'm sure the pegs as a unit are interchangeable where it bolts to the frame boss.

The passenger pegs look the same or very close to the same as previous generations.

From your photo the brake pedal pivot looks to be an open tube. The grease fitting upgrade may not work here.

Also, Fred W. should be happy now. The brake pedal and pivot shaft both have position pips to ensure that you get the pedal positioned properly on the splined shaft. Yamaha is listening it seems.

From you photo the brake pedal pivot looks to be an open tube. The grease fitting upgrade may not work here.

Also, Fred W. should be happy now. The brake pedal and pivot shaft both have position pips to ensure that you get the pedal positioned properly on the splined shaft. Yamaha is listening it seems.
I have alignment marks on the pedal and the shaft on my 2003..... So I don't need a new bike to keep up with the latest?

Why you nut case...only the 5th page for me...we haven't even gotten started yet!
I'm on page 13.
Ack! Another 13!
Do you know if the exhaust systems are compatible from Gen I to II to III? Specifically, will my Gen I mounted Muzzy 4-2-1 bolt onto a Gen III? (Or would I have to sell it to CAJW?) ;)
Now, I seem to recall folks moving over their GenI aftermarket exhausts over to the GenII, but it really has been too long since I read about that, to know for certain. Perhaps a GenI-to-GenII owner can speak to this.

As far as Gen I to Gen III transfers, I am in a unique position to determine those items, since both bikes reside side-by-side in the garage. I'll do a quick visual comparo of exhaust mounting points tonight, and see if there are any obvious changes.
All ears, here; I'd like to keep my oval StainTunes.

I took Paula out on the GenIII yesterday for a 100-mile romp in the Columbia Basin, mostly at my secret High Desert Proving Grounds.
bling_cool.gif
The scene is set...

To give you an idea of the relative quietness at speed compared to earlier generations, Paula and I (using the phenomenal Sena SMH10 Bluetooth intercoms) were able to exchanged and understand spoken words at 103mph indicated. That's extremely impressive... on the Gen I with stock windscreen, we really couldn't hold a meaningful conversation above 85-ish mph.
Yeah, impressive- but is it a GOOD thing?

Paula: SLOW DOWN!

WarChild: YEE-HA!

Paula: I said SLOW DOWN!

WarChild: I Heard You! I'm just having fun!"

As a Gen I Muzzy owner, that's my recollection, too -- that the Muzzy full system developed for the Gen Is fit the Gen IIs and no change was made in Muzzy's specs between Gens.

BTW -- when I tried to hit "reply" I had a brain fart/senior moment/coordination crisis and hit the negative feedback button for you. :huh: Or maybe paying bills and surfing the forum at the same time are incompatible activities? Sorry bout that. You'll prolly need an admin to fix that. :lol:

From you photo the brake pedal pivot looks to be an open tube. The grease fitting upgrade may not work here.

I have alignment marks on the pedal and the shaft on my 2003..... So I don't need a new bike to keep up with the latest?
+1 Those marks have been on all five of my FJRs.

From your photo the brake pedal pivot looks to be an open tube. The grease fitting upgrade may not work here.

Actually, all I said was that I couldn't remember if those marks had always been there or if I put them there. Either way they are a good idea to make it easier to find the same position. It was in the second paragraph of this post. Nothing much to get all worked up about. :unsure:

Dang.. and I went to all that work with a fine line permanent marker? :blink:

Dang.. and I went to all that work with a fine line permanent marker? :blink:
Is that the marker you paint your eyebrows on with??