The Evil that is 13....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From you photo the brake pedal pivot looks to be an open tube. The grease fitting upgrade may not work here.

Also, Fred W. should be happy now. The brake pedal and pivot shaft both have position pips to ensure that you get the pedal positioned properly on the splined shaft. Yamaha is listening it seems.
I have alignment marks on the pedal and the shaft on my 2003..... So I don't need a new bike to keep up with the latest?
Dang.. and I went to all that work with a fine line permanent marker? :blink:
Is that the marker you paint your eyebrows on with??
'Zilla, it's also the same one he uses to draw the Happy Face on his Ass! So Armadillo Fucker, are you going to purchase a GenIII? I sure am tempted, I have to see one in the flesh first and so far there are none on the damn showroom floors here in Phoenix!

I could have missed it in the digital reams that are this thread, but I didn't see it in any of the Yammie pics either, and a search didn't reveal. As a likely buyer soon, is there a gear position indicator? Thanks.

I...As a likely buyer soon, is there a gear position indicator? Thanks.
It where was on the Gen II and has made it on the Gen III also.

Edited for those picky mid westerners who always want to know, "Where is it AT."

It was on the Gen II and continues its presence on the Gen III's newly enhanced multifunction display.

I dunno if I just posted in a hurry or if the very helpful automatic spelling correction contributed to mashing my text.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan, is this "East Coast Hip"? Or some other NH slang?
Decoded it, just for you. :) Scroll back to the post and enjoy the rewording.
Hey, thanks for the over the top editorial. :D

I'm a little disappointed though. I thought you was trippin' and I caught you in some alter ego rappin' slang. Now that's where it's at...you dig?

So...you gonna bust out and buy one of these here 2013s...or are you still gonna wait until the GEN III.1 models come out with the retrofitted harnesses and...

I could have missed it in the digital reams that are this thread, but I didn't see it in any of the Yammie pics either, and a search didn't reveal. As a likely buyer soon, is there a gear position indicator? Thanks.
Funny what is important to people. After 350k miles on Gen Is with no gear indicator I'm like who needs this stupid thing on my Gen II! It's taking up valuable display space!

I know some people like to know what gear they are in.

That has never held any purpose for me. I just try to keep it in the power band in the curves, and can tell by the tach if I am accidently cruising in 4th gear after getting through some traffic on the interstate. :)

Funny what is important to people. After 350k miles on Gen Is with no gear indicator I'm like who needs this stupid thing on my Gen II! It's taking up valuable display space!
I was once of this same mindset... with only 5 gears on the transmission, after enough experience on the bike it's easy enough to know what gear you are in, given one's prevailing road speed and engine tach readout.

But in late 2007, when I first score my (six-gear) Hayabusa, I quickly discovered that it was pretty damn nice to just take a brief glance at the instrument panel to see what gear I was in.

It is equally nice on the GenIII.... the gear indicator is predominately displayed at the top of the right Info Pod at all times, regardless of which display function is selected at the time.

I was once of this same mindset... with only 5 gears on the transmission, after enough experience on the bike it's easy enough to know what gear you are in, given one's prevailing road speed and engine tach readout.

But in late 2007, when I first score my (six-gear) Hayabusa, I quickly discovered that it was pretty damn nice to just take a brief glance at the instrument panel to see what gear I was in.

It is equally nice on the GenIII.... the gear indicator is predominately displayed at the top of the right Info Pod at all times, regardless of which display function is selected at the time.
Excellent. Thank you. I don't require it either and never seemed to miss it on my ST1300, but on my 6 speed FZ1 and FZ6 without it I occasionally downshift into a turn thinking it's 2nd, but it's placing me in 1st--oops!--miscounted!

...So...you gonna bust out and buy one of these here 2013s...
Yesterday I was thinking I may snap up a lightly used '13 when one becomes available. An hour ago I left a meeting here at work where our largest customer told us they are opening up their own assembly department and as of 1/1/13 they will be pulling out nearly 50% of our yearly revenue. I don't think I'll be making any big purchases in the near future.......

Now, back to the Evil 13 thread.

Digital Speedo --

I've no experience with one. Does it use data averaging or smoothing to keep the number from fluctuating up and down when you're going at a near constant speed?

I'm assuming it shows a rolling average or some average rather than the actual stream of data. Maybe it updates only once a second.

Nobody uses a straight data stream, there is some form of filtering or slower data sampling rate to smooth the readings. The digital speedo in my car was useless during rapid speed changes (which it could do really well). Stepping on the soap box: IMO, the speedo and tach are two indicators that should be needle movement gauges. Even in electronics there are times where a needle movement meter will show what a digital meter can't. The two gauges in both Gen I and Gen II were digitally driven but supplied analog readouts. There should have been no reason for the digitally driven gauges to be any less (practically) accurate than a digital numerical display.

Allow me to vent my frustration in what was a completely pointless exercise during lunch today.... :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I have been wanting to do the initial 600-mile maintenance on the GenIII for a couple days now, and something always pops up to prevent it... such as discovering I only had one quart of 10w-40 Mobil 1 oil left in the garage last night. So at lunch today, I first went to Schuck's Auto... then Fred Myer... then finally out of desperation, I checked the Great Satan (WalMart).....

And NONE of these fuckers had ANY 10w-40 Mobil 1 in stock. None, Nada. Zip. Zero.

In fact, Schuck's Auto and Fred Myer no longer appears to carry it at all. The Great Satan at least had an empty shelf spot for it... but all depleted.

Son. Of. A. Bitch. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Additionally, none of these places carry the classic Mobil 1 75w-90 Gear Oil we use in place of the Yamaha Whale Jizz gear oil.

*sigh* Damnation, I guess I am gonna have to be a slave to mail order if this crap keeps up... <_<

Alan, is this "East Coast Hip"? Or some other NH slang?
Decoded it, just for you. :) Scroll back to the post and enjoy the rewording.
Hey, thanks for the over the top editorial. :D

I'm a little disappointed though. I thought you was trippin' and I caught you in some alter ego rappin' slang. Now that's where it's at...you dig?

So...you gonna bust out and buy one of these here 2013s...or are you still gonna wait until the GEN III.1 models come out with the retrofitted harnesses and...
Fo' realz mang!

Allow me to vent my frustration in what was a completely pointless exercise during lunch today.... :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I have been wanting to do the initial 600-mile maintenance on the GenIII for a couple days now, and something always pops up to prevent it... such as discovering I only had one quart of 10w-40 Mobil 1 oil left in the garage last night. So at lunch today, I first went to Schuck's Auto... then Fred Myer... then finally out of desperation, I checked the Great Satan (WalMart).....

And NONE of these fuckers had ANY 10w-40 Mobil 1 in stock. None, Nada. Zip. Zero.

In fact, Schuck's Auto and Fred Myer no longer appears to carry it at all. The Great Satan at least had an empty shelf spot for it... but all depleted.

Son. Of. A. Bitch. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Additionally, none of these places carry the classic Mobil 1 75w-90 Gear Oil we use in place of the Yamaha Whale Jizz gear oil.

*sigh* Damnation, I guess I am gonna have to be a slave to mail order if this crap keeps up... <_<
WC, first off congrats on the most premium 2013 FJR. Been watching this thread with interest and enjoy the comments and feedback.

Concerning the 10-40w oil you probably already know, about "no one" is carrying this weight oil any more in any brand. Since I use this weight oil in all my vehicles, including my bikes,I just ordered it up at the local parts store where I also work and had a case in a day. And no shipping costs.

Also with the gear oil. Our store and many others only carry gear oil in the newer GL-5 grade but I also was able to order the GL-4 grade which has less sulfates that can possibly cause problems if any components are brass or bronze materials. Take care, PM. :)

...(unsure if the Gen IIs had this): when the GenIII bike is *cold*, there is no "clunk" sound stepping into first gear whatsoever! However, when the bike is up to operating temp, the familiar "clunk" sound stepping into first gear is still there, though it *seems* to be a little less severe.
My Gen II has been like this from day one to the present. AND, if you hold the clutch in for a count of 4 before shifting from neutral to 1st, you will almost always be rewarded with a clunk free snick into 1st even when at full running temp.

Many thanks for a very informative thread.

As I said in the other thread, I'm almost certain that a Gen 3 will replace my Busa now.

I had a Gen 2, and have always loved the Feejer...

:)

...(unsure if the Gen IIs had this): when the GenIII bike is *cold*, there is no "clunk" sound stepping into first gear whatsoever! However, when the bike is up to operating temp, the familiar "clunk" sound stepping into first gear is still there, though it *seems* to be a little less severe.
My Gen II has been like this from day one to the present. AND, if you hold the clutch in for a count of 4 before shifting from neutral to 1st, you will almost always be rewarded with a clunk free snick into 1st even when at full running temp.
What he said. I just completed a clunk free shift into first about 2 hours ago.

GP