The Evil that is 13....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And NONE of these fuckers had ANY 10w-40 Mobil 1 in stock. None, Nada. Zip. Zero.
Not that it helps much Dale, but on the wet side Mobil 1 10-40 is everywhere. My local O'Reilly stocks it and the 20-50 V-Twin. Next time you're on this side stock up. ;)

Great feedback and first impressions on the '13, thanks for the efforts.

--G

Dale,

I've gotta ask: Why are you looking for 10W40? I know the old 1st gens called for 20W40, but I thought that all of the more recent FJR owners manuals recommended 20W50, which I think it readily available as Mobil1 at Satan's Discount (Wally world).

There's always Shell Rotella T6 in 5-40. Congrats by the way. Seriously thinking about upgrading to a Gen III. Keep the feedback coming. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dale,

I've gotta ask: Why are you looking for 10W40? I know the old 1st gens called for 20W40, but I thought that all of the more recent FJR owners manuals recommended 20W50, which I think it readily available as Mobil1 at Satan's Discount (Wally world).
The 2013 Owner's Manual takes a much more pragmatic approach.

All of the following viscosity combos are recommended for the GenIII:

• 10w-40
  • 10w-50
  • 15w-40
  • 20w-40
  • 20w-50

I'll run Mobil One 10w-40 in the winter, and 15w-50 in the summer... which is pretty much what I have always run in the FJR for the past decade. :D To my knowledge, Mobil One doesn't come in the 20w-50 variant.

My local Wally World re-stocked Mobil One 10w-40 last night, so I scored a gallon of that.
thumb.gif

Hoooooo, BABY!!

The garauld GenIII Aux Light Bracket Spacers arrived... they look mighty awesome!!

Pics of them tonight... :D

Noticed they changed the part# of the '13 oil filter and bumped up the MSRP 14%.

2012 5JW-13440-00-00 $10.66

2013 5GH-13440-20-00 $12.20

That must thrill the dealers to have to add another part to their inventory.

Noticed they changed the part# of the '13 oil filter and bumped up the MSRP 14%.

That's the same oil filter Yamaha uses on many models including the Tenere. It appears to be the same oil filter as the old one, but about a half inch shorter to fit in a tighter space.

Sorry folks, there's been a slight setback on the spacer dealio, so photos will have to wait for a bit.

It's past 'tonight'!!! Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot, over.

:p
<sniff-sniff... wiping a tear away> I hope the lack of photos doesn't affect you riding your new GenIII, there, Sparky!
csm.gif

:lol: :p

That's the same oil filter Yamaha uses on many models including the Tenere. It appears to be the same oil filter as the old one, but about a half inch shorter to fit in a tighter space.
So you could use the cheaper oil filter? It would still spin onto the bike?

So you could use the cheaper oil filter? It would still spin onto the bike?
The 2013 filter appears to be identical to the 2012 filter except that it is 20mm shorter. The Tenere needs a shorter filter because the filter is mounted in the front of the engine and there is limited clearance between the engine block and the engine guard. I can't see any reason that the 2013 FJR needs the shorter filter, the mounting place is the same and there isn't any new plastic or anything else in front of the filter....however the shorter filter would be much more protected from road hazards.

The million dollar question is: Can we be SURE there are no other spec changes between the filters other than length?

so i could just order some tenere filters...

Cool i just added 6 of those to my order.....

R

The million dollar question is: Can we be SURE there are no other spec changes between the filters other than length?
I would be willing to bet that the Tenere filter is a lot closer to the previous FJR spec filters than any of the universal, one filter fits all, aftermarket filters that many FJR riders buy to save a buck or two. I can tell you that the inner, filtering material appears to be identical and I doubt there is any difference between the 2013 FJR engine and the previous engines filtering requirements.