The Evil that is 13....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont understand the issue with the filter though as there are NO clearance issues......

file-28.jpg

At least not till i put the highway pegs on.

R

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont understand the issue with the filter though as there are NO clearance issues......

R
How about the issue of exposure to rocks and road hazards? The end of the oil filter is very exposed on the 2003-2012 models and I have always carried an extra oil filter under the seat so I would have a replacement if I were to hole the filter on a trip.

The million dollar question is: Can we be SURE there are no other spec changes between the filters other than length?
Can I be sure you're really a man and not really a skinny triple-breasted whore from Mars that's had them all lopped off ? No, I'm very SURE you're not a man. :p

And at the risk of adding to a destined-to-be NEPRT OIL thread I plead that it's the first time this very narrow point has come up and shall endeavor to speak of it only once.

We've learned long before the 2013 that the FJR can use multiple oil filters including long and short versions. In Bosch parlance (not that I'd use a Bosch) the FJR equivalent is a 3323 that is supposedly 3 1/4" long. . Bosch also sells a shortened version called the 3300 at 2.5" and has reportedly worked over the years. (that's 19mm difference BTW) Supposedly screws on the same, seals the same, and works the same except the obvious reduction in filter media. It's the short bus of oil filters!

3300 Short Bus

bosch3300%281%29.jpg

3323 Normal Bus

bosch3323%281%29.jpg

So, my prediction is we're going to build a rip-roaring piddly-ass argument rage over time on this forum--right up there with whether or not to grease splines or how many times you should purge coolant in the FJR blow job....is twice enough or too many times?

Staking out my personal belief.* I think it's going to be fine to use either the short version or the long version and that there always has been more than enough filter media in either version for the FJR. Using slippery oil and changing it regularly is likely far more important than which model or length of filter you use. And that if somebody feels the slight bit of stress they should use the OEM filter and move on.

* Unless Jestal returns and sets us truly straight.

R
How about the issue of exposure to rocks and road hazards? The end of the oil filter is very exposed on the 2003-2012 models and I have always carried an extra oil filter under the seat so I would have a replacement if I were to hole the filter on a trip.

It looks like that bottom part of the fairing is going to protect it..

R
Yes, but you are most likely are looking at the short filter on your 2013, what if the filter was 20mm longer?
Yeah!!

Lord knows, if I'm about to hit a deer or run over an errant wheel/tire assembly, I'm stressing about my oil filter surviving!!

And NONE of these fuckers had ANY 10w-40 Mobil 1 in stock. None, Nada. Zip. Zero.
FWIW, the Great Satan is the only place near me where I can find Mobil 1 10w-40.

I rode over to the Iron Pony during lunch today to see if they have a '13 FJR. They didn't. The sales dude said that they know it's on the way and they expect one sometime in November.

R
Yes, but you are most likely are looking at the short filter on your 2013, what if the filter was 20mm longer?
I don't know Steve...... Me thinks you are barking up the OCD Tree here. In over 350k miles of FJR riding including dirt roads and such, never an issue...........

R
I don't know Steve...... Me thinks you are barking up the OCD Tree here. In over 350k miles of FJR riding including dirt roads and such, never an issue...........
I've never had an issue with an exposed oil filter either....but a few others have. Actually, I am not concerned about it, I am throwing a rationale against the wall that might explain why Yamaha is now recommending the shorter filter for the FJR. I am going to continue to use the long filter as long as it is less expensive.

i have ove 80,000 miles on the FJR and have never had an oil filter problem.....

Now the Wing on the other hand is a different story..

IMG_0234.jpg

R

Part # change is probably as simple a thing as factory inventory rather than spec change on the bike. Yamaha knows it's interchangeable so they simplify their own lives by using a common filter for more bikes.

Everybody relax, now.

Also, having had the bike down twice on the left side, with no oil filter damage whatsoever, I submit that if the filter were to be damaged by some road incident, said filter would be the least of your problems. When the bike falls, the stator cover hits first.

Yabbut...

MCRider007 is just lookin' out for us in the FJR Dual Sportin' crowd. You wimps that just ride the Feejer on the street don't have nothin' to worry about.

Disclaimer: This is coming from a guy that doesn't even protect the oil filter on his DL-1000 V-strom, which sees lots of off road duty. And did you ever see the oil filter location on a V-strom? clicky :eek:

Part # change is probably as simple a thing as factory inventory rather than spec change on the bike. Yamaha knows it's interchangeable so they simplify their own lives by using a common filter for more bikes.
I can just about guarantee you that when Yammie changes a part number it's not for something trivial like 'factory inventory'.

...You wimps that just ride the Feejer on the street.....
That's me!

Disclaimer: This is coming from a guy that doesn't even protect the oil filter on his DL-1000 V-strom, which sees lots of off road duty. And did you ever see the oil filter location on a V-strom? clicky :eek:
That's right where the filter is on my Super Tenere. I have been off road on that a bunch in 11,000+ miles and it doesn't have so much as a dimple in it. I've never even given the oil filter a second thought on the FJR, for a rock to hole that thing would be practically impossible.

Okay...

Here's some stuff just gleaned from the owners manual, the link to which seems to have disappeared from the forum after Constant Mesh posted it? :huh:

First off, all talk about new transmission gearing is completely false. The gear ratios of the transmission are in fact identical to those in all FJRs since the very first rolled off the line on 2001, and the final drive ratio is the same as every one of the 2nd gens. No change. None. Nada. Forget about that, it ain't there.

I seriously doubt that there were any changes made to the transmission, it wouldn't make sense.

There are new spark plugs specified!!! Probably needed to be compatible with the "coil-over-plugs" change. The new plugs are NGK CPR8EA-9. The main differences in this spark plug compared to the old CR8E are :

P - Construction: Projected Insulator Type

A - Firing End Construction: Special Design

9 - Spark GAP: 0.9 mm (.036")

Based on the NGK web site data, there appears to be no iridium plug available for this application (yet). Who cares?

The final drive no long calls for the unobtanium Yamalube whale jizz. The manual now calls for: SAE 80 GL-5 Gear lube!!

I'd bet dollars to donuts that the rear end on this bike is identical to any 2nd gen FJR. There is absolutely no credible evidence to suggest otherwise. But now they are specifying a totally different gear lube?

Why? Because that is the current stuff that Yamaha is now peddling under their yamalube label, and...

it doesn't really matter. :eek:

Yeah, Yamaha wouldn't change the oil filter part number unless it was important.

Important to whom, is the salient question.

The forum overlord moved the Owner's Manual download reference to the pinned 2013 thread.

--------------

"Parking" position on the ignition switch --

The '13 has this new feature. From the Owner's Manual:

The steering is locked, and the taillights, license plate light, auxiliary lights and position lights are on. The hazard lights and turn signal lights can be turned on, but all other electrical systems are off. The key can be removed. The steering must be locked before the key can be turned to "Parking".

------------

Also noticed that the Gear Indicator on the display now shows an "N" for neutral in addition to the individual Neutral LED indicator. I don't recall the Gen II's offering an "N" in the gear display, just a blank display for neutral.

Is there a reg that requires a separate green light for a neutral indication?