The Evil that is 13....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wheelies happen because you have traction. How would traction control prevent a wheelie? :huh:
To sense whether the rear wheel is slipping under acceleration the TCS has to compare the rotation speeds of the rear wheel vs. the front. When you loft the front wheel it will slow down in comparison to the rear, which the TCS will interpret as wheel slip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wheelies happen because you have traction. How would traction control prevent a wheelie? :huh:
As soon as the front wheel slows compared to the rear, power is cut. Traction control doesn't really know if the rear wheel is spinning, it only calculates that it's spinning out of proportion to the front wheel.

Some great reading in following these two Gen III threads! Keep it coming! :D

Guess this means FJRTech.net will see new Gen III info flood in at some point? ;)

To sense whether the rear wheel is slipping under acceleration the TCS has to compare the rotation speeds of the rear wheel vs. the front. When you loft the front wheel it will slow down in comparison to the rear, which the TCS will interpret as wheel slip.
That occurred to me as soon as I got on the bike to go to work. So you'll be able to lift it but not ride it, probably?

Thanks for all the kind words of congratulations, folks.

(except for the jealous, newly gayed-up Skoot-Skoot! :lol: holy shit, this photo is a riot! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ScooterG.jpg
That's disturbing.
Amen Brother! This thing has showed up in my Nightmares. :unsure:

The system aims to keep both front and rear wheel speeds within a certain tolerance. On the supersport bikes, the systems aim to keep the front wheel on the ground by monitoring wheels speeds. When the front wheel comes up, it cuts power just enough to keep it on the ground.

Right Instrument Pod comments:

While the center instrument pod has the large speedo, fuel gauge, ECO, Sport and Touring indicators, as well as all dummy lights, it is actually the right instrument pod where most of the action is with regard to bike status, heated grips and windscreen operation.

fjr3.jpg

What you can't see in this photo below is a momentary switch (that resides where most bikes have their traditional "flash-to-pass" switch, in the forward part of the below control housing, typically actuated using the left index finger):

2013-Yamaha-FJR1300AS-EU-Magnetic-Bronze-Detail-004.jpg

This momentary switch has the word "Menu" associated with it, and allows the user to cycle between three (3) different function displays in the far right instrument pod.

The three displays are:

1) windscreen function display

2) Hand grip warmer function display

3) Information display selection function

When in Windscreen function display, this is the only way to raise/lower the windscreen. You use the '^' momentary switch key (seen in the photo above) to raise the windscreen, and the opposite key to lower it.

When in "Hand Grip Warmer" function display, this is the only way to actuate the grip warmers, and they have three different settings (lo-med-hi). You again use the '^' momentary switch key to increase the heat setting, and the opposite key to lower the heat setting.

When in "Info Display Selection", you now use these same '^' momentary switches to cycle through three different information panel displays on the far right Instrument Pod.

•  
  • The first panel has Odometer, Trip1 and Trip2 displays.

• The second panel has "Remaining Fuel range", "Avg Fuel MPG", and "Current (instantaneous) MPG" readouts.

• The third panel has "Ambient Temp", Engine Coolant Temp", and "Time Trip" readouts. This will be the panel I leave as my default display, as I am always interested in ambient temp and water temp. Both are set to "Fahrenheit" readouts, though it can be set to display in centigrade, if desired.

There are also a full menuing system for all manner of settings - dash light brightness, ten different hand grip warmth settings, clock setting, Maintenance reminder settings (you can set your own personal mileage reminders for oil changing and two other maintenance items of your choice, all based upon mileage), etc, etc, etc.

The Instrument Pod explanations take a full 16 pages of the Owner's Manual just by itself. :eek:

I have just scratched the surface in describing this Instrument Pod Display system.... it is a complex but very comprehensive menu-driven display system.
bling_cool.gif

Very nice. A lot of settings and stored values to be lost if your battery goes flat. Would be overkill I guess but I'd like to see an additional small dry cell type 12 volt battery included as a backup to ensure that the stored values are never lost.

My multimeter uses a simple 12 volt drycell (probably a packaged stack of watch batteries) for its primary power supply. I've thought about rigging one with diodes into the FJR's electrical system so that the backup voltage never dips low enough to lose the clock and other settings during an aberrant start-up.

But it's probably not worth the bother.

Right Instrument Pod comments:

While the center instrument pod has the large speedo, fuel gauge, ECO, Sport and Touring indicators, as well as all dummy lights, it is actually the right instrument pod where most of the action is with regard to bike status, heated grips and windscreen operation.

fjr3.jpg

What you can't see in this photo below is a momentary switch (that resides where most bikes have their traditional "flash-to-pass" switch, in the forward part of the below control housing, typically actuated using the left index finger):

2013-Yamaha-FJR1300AS-EU-Magnetic-Bronze-Detail-004.jpg

This momentary switch has the word "Menu" associated with it, and allows the user to cycle between three (3) different function displays in the far right instrument pod.

The three displays are:

1) windscreen function display

2) Hand grip warmer function display

3) Information display selection function

When in Windscreen function display, this is the only way to raise/lower the windscreen. You use the '^' momentary switch key (seen in the photo above) to raise the windscreen, and the opposite key to lower it.

When in "Hand Grip Warmer" function display, this is the only way to actuate the grip warmers, and they have three different settings (lo-med-hi). You again use the '^' momentary switch key to increase the heat setting, and the opposite key to lower the heat setting.

When in "Info Display Selection", you now use these same '^' momentary switches to cycle through three different information panel displays on the far right Instrument Pod.

•  
  • The first panel has Odometer, Trip1 and Trip2 displays.

• The second panel has "Remaining Fuel range", "Avg Fuel MPG", and "Current (instantaneous) MPG" readouts.

• The third panel has "Ambient Temp", Engine Coolant Temp", and "Time Trip" readouts. This will be the panel I leave as my default display, as I am always interested in ambient temp and water temp. Both are set to "Fahrenheit" readouts, though it can be set to display in centigrade, if desired.

There are also a full menuing system for all manner of settings - dash light brightness, ten different hand grip warmth settings, clock setting, Maintenance reminder settings (you can set your own personal mileage reminders for oil changing and two other maintenance items of your choice, all based upon mileage), etc, etc, etc.

The Instrument Pod explanations take a full 16 pages of the Owner's Manual just by itself. :eek:

I have just scratched the surface in describing this Instrument Pod Display system.... it is a complex but very comprehensive menu-driven display system.
bling_cool.gif
Ohhh Man that is Sweeet! Knees getting wobbly again. Ugly thoughts... Ugly thoughts... Getting kicked in the Gonads by surprise while drunk at 3am while on crutches! ..... Ok, I'm Good! :unsure:

... ECO, Sport and Touring indicators...
So there are 3 drive modes including "ECO?"

BTW, great info on the programmable screen, I'm kind of dreading the process but like most tech stuff, once you get the hang of it you can usually make it perform to your benefit.

... ECO, Sport and Touring indicators...
So there are 3 drive modes including "ECO?"

BTW, great info on the programmable screen, I'm kind of dreading the process but like most tech stuff, once you get the hang of it you can usually make it perform to your benefit.
No. From what Richard told me, the 'ECO' light is like a gas mileage indicator. Ride like a granny, and the ECO indicator will show. Ride like Richard and you'll never see those bloody three letters. Ever. Word. :p

Factory heated grips became standard in '10 or '11. You've been MIA for too long!
Yeah, well, as you know... it's been a somewhat, bleak, dark couple of years for Warchild.... a bloodbath divorce can take a serious toll on a man. It did for me. Pretty badly, in fact.... :(

But I'd say things are looking better.... a lot better.... :D

Yamaha-FJR1300-2013-11.jpg