The Evil that is 13....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Warchild, lookee what I found today!!!

DSCN0557.jpg

Your bike was one number away from being a show whore.
Notice that is JYARP24Y6DA... I suspect it's either a CA- or Euro-spec machine. (Fairlainer?)
Where the hell are you from? Where did you buy it?

So far, what I have been able to gather:

Kali VINs are JYARP24Y0DA

Non-kali VINs are JYARP24E4DA

Yours does not fit either of those, so now I am really confused. Unless Fairlaner provided me with the wrong VIN. :blink:

Other than Kali and non-Kali FJRs, I don't see any other reason they would have different model designators in the VIN. Weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Warchild, lookee what I found today!!!

DSCN0557.jpg

Your bike was one number away from being a show whore.
Notice that is JYARP24Y6DA... I suspect it's either a CA- or Euro-spec machine. (Fairlainer?)
Where the hell are you from? Where did you buy it?
Oregon, Oregon (Power Yamaha, Silverton).

Kali VINs are JYARP24Y0DA

Non-kali VINs are JYARP24E4DA
The important part is Y or E- the next digit is a checksum digit.

SO here's the take-away: They started sequencing for each model designator (CA or 49-state), yeah?

SO here's the take-away: They started sequencing for each model designator (CA or 49-state), yeah?
Duh! <headslap> Of course you are right about the check digit.

As for sequencing, I don't think so. I think there is only one number sequence. Still trying to figure that out. Wish I knew what the changes in the one digit for model designation is. There seem to be many of them.

Would you send or post a photo of your VIN sticker? I am starting a collection.

Whoa whoa whoa....waitaminutethere!

So...Warchild has the dark side of number 13 and Fairlainer gets what?

mine is JYARP24Y0DA000025 so i dont know.....

R
The force is strong with these two! :D

**** me i got YODA........

I wish i had seen that before i changed my plate...

Oh well.

R

Don't be hatin on Yoda. It fits. The FJR is the bike that others look at and don't know the potential it has for owning them, just like Yoda. :D

As for sequencing, I don't think so. I think there is only one number sequence.
Spotted at International Motorcycle Show (I think in Florida):

DSCN0557.jpg

Sitting in my garage in Oregon:

VIN.jpg

As for sequencing, I don't think so. I think there is only one number sequence.
Spotted at International Motorcycle Show (I think in Florida):

DSCN0557.jpg

Sitting in my garage in Oregon:

VIN.jpg

Very interesting. Out of all the '13 VINS the Houston Motorcycle show is the only one to have the 'Y' after the '24'. All the others have an 'E'. I wonder if this is not a north american FJR? Or perhaps a Canadian FJR?

The 4th to 8th characters of all 17 character VINs are the VDS group - Vehicle Descriptor Section. The 5 characters in this range may be used by the manufacturer to identify vehicle attributes and/or features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc. Each manufacturer has a unique system for using this field and apparently Yamaha isn't sharing their coding.

The 4th to 8th characters of all 17 character VINs are the VDS group - Vehicle Descriptor Section. The 5 characters in this range may be used by the manufacturer to identify vehicle attributes and/or features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc. Each manufacturer has a unique system for using this field and apparently Yamaha isn't sharing their coding.

Yup. Well aware of that. I started a thread about this a long time ago that is around here somewhere.

Not that it makes one damned bit of difference, I am just curious if all '13 FJR VINS are sequential, or if the build sequence 'numbers' will repeat as in the above photo. I think the Houston Motorcycle Show FJR may be a 'special' FJR not for retail sale. If the build sequence numbers DO repeat, I wonder in what circumstances a new sequence is started?

If it matters, my VIN is JYARP24E7DA000240...so I got the 24E coding.

Yeah, so far other than that one exception every '13 VIN I have seen has the 24E coding.

What is different on lots of the VINs is the digit right after the '24E'. So far I have seen a 2, 4, 6, and a 9 there. And now with yours, a 7.

Edit: Never mind! The VIN 'check digit' caught me up again. That number will change.

So all the VINs have been the same except for the one from the Houston Motorcycle Show, and then obviously the sequential number.

So I am willing to go out on a limb and say for U.S. and perhaps north american FJRs, there is only one sequential number system.

...(unsure if the Gen IIs had this): when the GenIII bike is *cold*, there is no "clunk" sound stepping into first gear whatsoever! However, when the bike is up to operating temp, the familiar "clunk" sound stepping into first gear is still there, though it *seems* to be a little less severe.
My Gen II has been like this from day one to the present. AND, if you hold the clutch in for a count of 4 before shifting from neutral to 1st, you will almost always be rewarded with a clunk free snick into 1st even when at full running temp.
Thank you sooo much for this little tidbit of advice. I have tried it and I am indeed rewarded with a "clunk-free" shift damn near every time now. I am thinking that it has got to be a little easier on the tranny this way. Thanks again.

So all the VINs have been the same except for the one from the Houston Motorcycle Show, and then obviously the sequential number.

So I am willing to go out on a limb and say for U.S. and perhaps north american FJRs, there is only one sequential number system.
Ummmm but mine is 24Y so that blows your theory.......

R