Too Easy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I certainly hope not but can't blame him if he did.
He brings up some idea on the kickstand and is dogpilled with "Operator error."

And someone else forgets to latch his bag and they come up with the pin idea and their a hero. No operator error there is there? What the hell is up with that? Just depends on who you are it seems.

Fred is a very active member of other boards and his efforts and contributions, which even include "how to" videos are well received.

Very foolish and arogant mistake by board members IMHO.
All depends on how you present yourself. You walk into someone's house and say, "Hey, your drapes let in too much light. They don't darken the room enough. This is how you should fix it..." (see, the drapes ain't broke, but the guest thinks they are), and your gonna get dog piled. Very arrogant of the guest, yes?

This whole thread needs to be pinned.
Pinning a thread that's mostly about glass half empty and full of flames? I don't think so. A thread that documents empirically the shortcomings of the FJR and what the community collectively would do about it? Maybe.
Great idea Ignacio. I think you get the spirit of what I was trying to say. You said it better than I did.

Last edited by a moderator:

And someone else forgets to latch his bag and they come up with the pin idea and their a hero. No operator error there is there? What the hell is up with that? Just depends on who you are it seems.

Fred is a very active member of other boards and his efforts and contributions, which even include "how to" videos are well received.

All depends on how you present yourself. You walk into someone's house and say, "Hey, your drapes let in too much light. They don't darken the room enough. This is how you should fix it..." (see, the drapes ain't broke, but the guest thinks they are), and your gonna get dog piled. Very arrogant of the guest, yes?

I'll agree with both sides of this. I've walked into soemone's proverbial house and told them it was crap (Councours Owner's Group) and was berated for it. However, I was also pointing out *facts* about what was cleary overlooked or underengineered by the manufacturer, and I was pointing out *facts* about how if the Concours didn't need work, the custom, Concours-specific update and farkle market wouldn't be so active and entrenched. And I got nothing but grief for it.

As for Fred's kickstand issue... Yeah, the kickstand *could* certainly stand to swing out farther. Yeah, you *can* get the bike to stand just fine with care. Both perspectives are accurate as just as "right" as the the other. *shrugs*

Too many people know it all and too many people have too-thin skin. Like everything, happiness is somewhere in the middle.

I used to fly with a plastic surgeon that said he had never seen a pair of breasts that didn't need correcting. Said he couldn't look at ANY, no matter how hot the package, without seeing this one needs to go up 2cm, that one is 3cm larger than the other...

People who have a taste for speed, performance and the finer things in life, will always strive for perfection, knowing the entire time it is unattainable, just like perfect tits!

But the damn ride is sooo much fun! And unlike Honda, Yamaha gives you full diagrams and lets you squeeze all the parts yourself!

Cut me and I bleed Yamaha blue!!!

:yahoo:

...and this concludes another forum riot.

The FJR is a piece of shit.....not it is not.....settled.

Or, more accurately, someone comes in, says "hey your're room is too bright. it was incorrectly engineered. let me brick in those ports over there because any other way is wrong."

the hard bag pins were more like, "hey, i fubard when i put my hard bags on. to avoid being an idiot again, this is what i did. i thought i'd share it with anyone who is interested." some people liked it and used it. many people found it an interesting solution to a problem that didn't exist and moved on. at the time, some of the discussion included simply checking to be sure you installed the bags right. at no time did the author present it as if it was a design flaw nor that anyone who disagreed was hiding their head in the sand. neither did the author react like you'd bitten the head off a baby when people chose to discuss their personal preference (or lack thereof) for his suggestion. the result was that no one responded in the form of a rebuttal. there was nothing to rebut.

Last edited by a moderator:
:D No bike is perfect and all can benefit from mods I suppose, not a big deal. As for this forum - when things get too introspective concerning the FJR - join in on the 'Harley Bashing' as a distraction, it's a form of the national pastime on the forum!

Or, more accurately, someone comes in, says "hey your're room is too bright. it was incorrectly engineered. let me brick in those ports over there because any other way is wrong."

the hard bag pins were more like, "hey, i fubard when i put my hard bags on. to avoid being an idiot again, this is what i did. i thought i'd share it with anyone who is interested." some people liked it and used it. many people found it an interesting solution to a problem that didn't exist and moved on. at the time, some of the discussion included simply checking to be sure you installed the bags right. at no time did the author present it as if it was a design flaw nor that anyone who disagreed was hiding their head in the sand. neither did the author react like you'd bitten the head off a baby when people chose to discuss their personal preference (or lack thereof) for his suggestion. the result was that no one responded in the form of a rebuttal. there was nothing to rebut.
Brilliant analysis of the situation. +1000

Some people are happy with a bike just as the manufacturer makes it. I know I was with the previous cruiser. Sorta fat dumb & happy, ya know ?

So tell me, is your Gold Wing perfect ?

(edit)

I just went to 1800goldwing.com, registered, logged in, tried to access the forum topic labeled "Overheating, frame cracks & other general complaints about the bike", got the message:

"Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum. "

Seems like they're not accepting any new members, either that or they're a little sensitive...

(/edit)
Mine isn't. It's brand new (6.5k miles on her), but I think they solved the cracking frame, super lean burn and overheating issues.

Don't quite get your point about not having access to one 1800 forum, but here's one that will let you in, if you're interested: GoldwingRiders Of course you will see the same bickering, whining, bragging, etc. that goes with various egos on the internet.

Like I said my GL1800 ABS sure isn't perfect, but it's one hell of a machine, just like my FJR1300. I just love both of them. It would be tough to have to choose one.

So check out that link. You will see that about the only difference is the brand/model of the bike they are discussing. Same old bullshit.

I remember the days before the internet. We were pretty much on our own as far as the bike learning curve went, whether it was wrenching, farkling or choosing a brand or type. Of course there weren't that many choices way back when.

I have followed this forum for a couple of months now. I am amazed at how nonchalant FJR owners are about buying a bike that costs $12-13K and needs to be torn apart after a few hundred miles to balance throttles, disconnect throttle return springs, and make Barbarian mods that mean cutting wires and altering connectors. It takes a couple of thousand miles to shift smoothly and reliably. What gives? It's as if any price is not too high to pay for 150hp or "all of that torque". Kick stand needs to be watched very carefully so that you don't drop the bike? No problem. As long as excellent wrenching skills can fix the problem it's all good. One year warranty? What's with that?
You can tell the Goldwing riders in the group. They think that this stuff should not be. You guys cut Yammy way too much slack.
Newsflash, this just in,

Although I've had my FJR for 4 years, my 600 mile check is still due. Actually my 26k valve is also due, but I'll probably skip it, since I've never had a shim under bucket issue with any of the many bikes I've owned.

Yes, I'm 'guilty' of disconnecting the main throttle spring. You see I do have physical issues with my throttle hand from 40+ years of riding and probably a couple of decades of computer work contributed. The throttle disconnect helped considerably. Have I ever had problems with the throttle hand prior to the FJR? Youbetcha!

Needs to be torn apart to do a TBS after a few hundred miles? Think again. I did mine after 5k miles and I suppose there was a difference, but it is optional to us FJR enthusiasts, not required. Have you ever seen an FJR sitting on the side of the road because the owner didn't do a TBS after 'a few hundred miles'? :yahoo:

Yes, I am also guilty of the Barbarian mod :( Sorry. Again, it is only a tweek and not necessary, but I take pleasure in getting down into the bike and digging around to see what makes it go. The Barbarian mod is easy - I didn't have to cut any wires. Just move a wire to another spot and jump a connection. Took all of five minutes. Yamaha isn't guilty of a screw-up to require this mod. One can blame CARB. If you don't know what that is, Google it. Many of the newer bikes with EFI 'hunt' a bit, including your venerable 'Wing (had a recall on that one, due to the whining of owners) and the super fine BMWs, again, lots of whining by owners and a lot of foot dragging by the manufacturer.

In the 4 years that I have owned my FJR, no issues with the kickstand, other than it got a bit stiff going up and down. I didn't complain to Yamaha, I just squirted some 30 weight on it and voila', just like new. Slicker than snot on a doorknob! As far as issues with the sidestand, I just don't understand that at all. I think that is just a numbnuts factor kicking in with people who aren't paying attention to what they're doing. Hope they are more alert when on the road. From what I've read, only way to safely park some Ducatis is to lean them against a tree... :)

A couple of thousand miles to break in the shifter? Have you ever had a new bike that didn't need breaking in a bit? My FJR shifts as smooth as silk (with a bit of the Yamaha 'clunk' - which is standard on Yamahas). Now when I first started riding my GL1800 and shifting I was saying "WTF?" with all the clunking, false neutrals and missed shifts. But it went away as I broke the bike in. One has to make much more determined shifts with the 'Wing than on the FJR, so don't try to sling that shit on us.

One year warrantY? Just about all they need. I'm an original owner of a U.S. vintage FJR and I have yet to hear of an FJR owner being stranded by a factory defect. I did blow out a fork seal. I have the YES extended warranty, but I knew that the fork seal was a wear item, like brake pads or tires, but I told my dealer that I could buy seals and DIY or they could install them and make a few bucks from Yamaha. They called Cypress and Mama Yama agreed to replace the seals under a 'Goodwill Warranty' since the dealer told them I was a good customer. Dealer told me I would be charged for new fork oil, but when I picked up the bike, they just handed me the keys and said I was good to go. That's the only time in 4 years this bike has been in the shop, except for when they took it out of the crate, everyone went oooooohh and aaaaaw and they put it together. So do I have any complaints about the one year warranty? Nope. Would I buy another FJR? Yup, but it's going to be a long time, if ever before this one wears out.

Complacent? Hardly! You just haven't been around very long. Hundreds, maybe thousands of complaints about heat, #1/2 exhaust valves ticking (quite rare and Yamaha always fixed, even out of warranty), wimpy (490 watt) alternator, etc. Far from being complacent of silent on what riders feel is a shortcoming, but then what brand is there that owners don't complain about?

As long as excellent wrenching skills can fix the problem it's all good.
Well, if you call TBS or Bararian Mod 'excellent wrenching skills' you probably have to call a buddy to help change a lightbulb :lol:

You can tell the Goldwing riders in the group. They think that this stuff should not be.
What? Goldwing owners are the biggest group of whiners and bitchers in the universe!

Bottom line: I think you're TROLLING...

Bingo! Well said, Bounce. If I have said it once, I have said it a million times. It's usually not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it.

Best twenty minutes I'm going to have all day reading this thread. From the bottom of my heart, kids....thank you....thank you....thank you.

I have followed this forum for a couple of months now. I am amazed at how nonchalant FJR owners are about buying a bike that costs $12-13K and needs to be torn apart after a few hundred miles to balance throttles, disconnect throttle return springs, and make Barbarian mods that mean cutting wires and altering connectors. It takes a couple of thousand miles to shift smoothly and reliably. What gives? It's as if any price is not too high to pay for 150hp or "all of that torque". Kick stand needs to be watched very carefully so that you don't drop the bike? No problem. As long as excellent wrenching skills can fix the problem it's all good. One year warranty? What's with that?
You can tell the Goldwing riders in the group. They think that this stuff should not be. You guys cut Yammy way too much slack.
Yeah, this bike sucks: I was warming my bike up sitting on the centerstand this morning parked next to a tree.

I shifted 55 times in a minute; then the throttle got too sensitive; the seat was too hard, my grips were too hard the throttle spring was too hard and it started ticking and roasted my left leg so I put the sidestand down to take it off the centerstand. I pulled the front brake lever in until it touched the grip.

When I was lowering it off the centerstand, the sidestand collapsed and it landed on my metal slider which broke my frame causing my Metzeler tire to fail and both sidebags to unlock and fall off. The car swerving into my lane couldn't hear my wimpy horn and there was no grease on my spline. It was wobbling at 48.5 mph and the buzzing was making my hands numb. I couldn't hear anything 'cuz of the static in my intercom.

The glovebox wouldn't open and the suspension was too mushy.

Picking it up, I tore my bicep, wrenched my back, both knees and got monkey butt....

Furthermore: my hands are soooo sensitive I can tell if there are 2 or three springs on the throttle. I'm like a surgeon--I can detect the minutest vibrations at precise rpm ranges. My highly calibrated ass can determine if the throttlebodies are 1 or 2 mm out of synch. My riding skills are better than Rossi and I can scrape my pegs off turning into my garage. I find some tire tread patterns unacceptable because of the dangerous wobble in my handlebars. I can tell just by shifting which brand and what weight of oil is in the bike.

Really, it's the bike that is sooo finicky....

I really don't see how the unwashed masses of riders can even sit on it stock!

Yeah, this bike sucks: I was warming my bike up sitting on the centerstand this morning parked next to a tree.
I shifted 55 times in a minute; then the throttle got too sensitive; the seat was too hard, my grips were too hard the throttle spring was too hard and it started ticking and roasted my left leg so I put the sidestand down to take it off the centerstand. I pulled the front brake lever in until it touched the grip.

When I was lowering it off the centerstand, the sidestand collapsed and it landed on my metal slider which broke my frame causing my Metzeler tire to fail and both sidebags to unlock and fall off. The car swerving into my lane couldn't hear my wimpy horn and there was no grease on my spline. It was wobbling at 48.5 mph and the buzzing was making my hands numb. I couldn't hear anything 'cuz of the static in my intercom.

Picking it up, I tore my bicep, wrenched my back, both knees and got monkey butt....

Furthermore: my hands are soooo sensitive I can tell if there are 2 or three springs on the throttle. I'm like a surgeon--I can detect the minutest vibrations at precise rpm ranges. My highly calibrated ass can determine if the throttlebodies are 1 or 2 mm out of synch. My riding skills are better than Rossi and I can scrape my pegs off turning into my garage. I find some tire tread patterns unacceptable because of the dangerous wobble in my handlebars. I can tell just by shifting which brand and what weight of oil is in the bike.

FINALLY.....someone who understands!!

OMFG! That's the funniest fucking thing I've read in a long, long time. Thank you! I needed a smile today.

OH YES !! :lol: Great stuff.

I am not sure how to start this but

I bought the FJR as a tool to commute to work but found that unlike the previous bikes this one was way too much fun just to commute so I play on it as well and as no bike is perfect for me ( arms too short legs too long for my height) I have done some farkles and have noted the shortcomings of the FJR . One of them being that a moments lapse of attention or even a pretty girl in micro skirt walking by at wrong time and it is possible for the FJR to fall off its side stand. This I can state catergorically in a high pitched voice as I caught it on the way down and now have a pair of bollocks in my throat. I was pissed off with the way Fred was treated and dont care if you all revile me for that.

I also think that this bike with any and all shortcomings is the best of all that I have ridden , but this hasnt stopped me from changing the rear suspension at 24k miles as the back end felt tired . Now I can be heard going round bends at 95mph going wheeeeeee.

It shouldnt be about the way you say things but about what was said

and now I will climb under the table and close my eyes and cover my ears

It shouldnt be about the way you say things but about what was said
Really? I couldn't disagree with you any more.

This is the internet. I don't know you. How two different people communicate identical information will lead me to draw conclusions as to whether your a reasonable person whose input I value, or an asshat, whose contributions I will ridicule, question, or ignore.

Same goes for all personal contact we have in our lives.

Sorry, but the "HOW" part of communication speaks volumes of the person it's coming from.

Human nature 101 stuff.

Damn that's good shit. Ooooh, sorry I cursed. I mean sugar.

-BD

The ride is worth the momentary light afflictions. Throttle bodies on my bike were right on, I don't have a prob with my return spring, smooth shifting, or lack there of, was my fault not the bike's. Careful with the kick stand, just use common sense. Used to have a GW, 8 months and only 3700 miles later, I sold it, nice for it's purpose, but I felt old each time I got on it and it just didn't fit me as well as this bike does.

Mike