Tyler down in serious condition in Idaho!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to see the group vid/teleconferencing thing, Brian. Not so much with the horn honking outside the hospital, but maybe that's just me. Ever see those old street signs: "Quiet, Hospital Zone?" Wonder if they still have those. :rolleyes: ON THE OTHER HAND, Tyler, if you're monitoring this thread and you read this, HEY, TY, HOW YA DOIN'? WE'RE ALL PULLIN' FOR YA!!

Good morning all!! Jaime here, back from vacation & happy to have been greeted by a big hug & (masked) kiss from Ty. So, first off, all apologies for not posting last night - I promised Sue I would, then completely spaced it after Shan & I got back from the hospital last night & fell into bed. (Still adjusting to being back in the swing of things...) Our visit with her was short & sweet as she was a little groggy & it was nearing princess' bedtime. She was shakey from chills & was running a bit of a fever, but seemed well other than that. Most of our time was spent going over "life details" now that I'm back and will be looking after Shan when she's not w/her dad (and school's starting soon!) Tyler's very much wanting to reorient to long-range details & planning, and justifiably curious about what can be expected in the months to come. To that end, I'll be endeavoring to talk with her main doctor(s) today to get an idea of how much longer our girl will be where she is, when they expect to be able to spring her, and where she'll need to go when they do.Her affect seems a little different than when I left, although she told me her spirits were good. I sense this long road is wearing on her a little (naturally) but knowing her, she will adjust gradually and respond gracefully in due time. Special thanks to "the three Sues" for their pachydermian devotion these last couple of weeks (elephants are a matriarchal society and they tend to their wounded/sick until she's able to rise & walk again on her own .... a fitting analogy here, methinks.) The mountain of cards, gifts (a crown - LOVE it!), drawings & window decorations from Ben's kids and a fabulous digital photo frame (thanks CC - you're a gem!) all do wonders to remind her how valued she is and how much support she has as she climbs this mountain, and we are very grateful to all of you for the massive outpouring. The initial trauma drama is over, and now begins the slow but important process of moving forward and maintaining that initial momentum.

Thanks to all of you who have communicated your love & encouragement to her, whether literally or spiritually. She's getting it, that's for sure. :)

Happy Monday!!! (rolling eyes) & we'll post more later.

Peace,

Jaime

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 1:40 PM, PDT Good afternoon,

Tyler and I had a great morning together. Though a wee bit sleepy when I arrived, she perked up when I told her I brought fresh strawberries. I was happy when she ate the lot as I doubled the amount I usually bring. She topped that off with a hard-boiled egg, which she requested from now on with her berries. Yes, your Majesty.

And now a story….. Susan purchased her a battery-powered toothbrush. She told me Susan had been after her to use it. I suggested we at least open it and see how it works. She agreed.

We had one heck of a time finding the on button. Tyler is holding the toothbrush; she is pushing everything that looks like a starter. She finds it. We both said WOW. She now hunts for the stop. We are giggling away. My head is near Tyler’s as we are both looking at the brush trying to find the stop button. In walks her cute, young plastic surgeon. He says, “look at that”.

And what do we do? Remember, our heads are close together and Tyler is holding this battery-powered toothbrush in front of us. We look at each other. Tyler raises her eyebrows and gives me that wide-open eye look that she does when she is, well, being Tyler. I am trying not to burst out laughing.

Thankfully her doc said he forgot something and stepped out of the room. We could hardly contain ourselves. Tyler says, “He’s young. It flew over his head”. Sad but true I replied.

We finally found the stop button. The doc came back into the room and finished his evalution telling Tyler see looked great.

This morning’s breakfast with Tyler will have me giggling all day.

That’s it for now. Look for another update later this evening.

Sue
Updated addy for those cards and letters -

Patient - Tyler Risk

Burn Unit 4th Floor

Santa Clara Valley Medical Center

751 S. Bascom Ave.

San Jose, CA 95128

Note -

The WFO raffle to benefit Tyler raised $460. Check's in the mail.

Thank you Glenn at Clearwater Lights!

Thank you SacramentoMike for your efforts.

And of course, an especially huge thanks to all of the WFO attendees who kindly purchased tickets.

I note that most of y'all weren't too concerned about winning anything, but rather just wanted to

do whatever you could for the benefit of Ms. Tyler.

You folks are the best.

Thank you.

(Am I correct in understanding that a BMW rider won the lights? :huh: )

https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tylerrisk/journal

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:42 PM, MDT

Wednesday, 10PM

Good evening everyone,

Can Tyler’s day get any better? It sure can.

Susan came up with a fabulous idea to “lift” Tyler’s spirits. Via the SBR forum she organized a balloon releasing party. About 30 people gathered at the hospital carrying balloons, helium tanks, string, kids, cards, and notes. We spent almost an hour filling balloons and surgical gloves, writing notes on them and tying them to string. We watched the wind direction and hoped her bandage change would be completed just as the sun was setting. Happily it was.

John, Tim, Scott, Ben, and a few others manned the balloons. They held the balloons outside her 4th floor room. Bobbing and blowing about, the balloons caught the attention of patients in a neighboring building.

John having the largest bouquet controlled with a kite handle had us all in stitches. Yanking on the string and walking along the edge of the building making sure the balloons were right outside Tyler’s windows.

Jaime and Shannon were in Tyler's room watching the show. Tyler was delighted. We even had a group phone conversation via my cell phone. Hoots, hollers, and well wishes rang out from the crowd.

There were a number of get-well messages written on the balloons. My favorite was from little Colin. He wanted Miss Tyler to know he had a loose tooth. His first. When I told Tyler about the message she beamed from ear to ear.

Our closing act was to cut the string off the balloons to hand release them right below her window. Mother Nature was watching over us as the blue, pink, and purple balloons floated gently past her windows. It was a sight to see.

See the photos posted here:

https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showt...2188&page=5

https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82257

https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82262

https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82254

Tyler continues to improve. Her fever is down. Her kidneys have stablized. Her color is better. Her appetite is growing. She particularly enjoyed my pot roast and sauté zucchini. She finished her meal with a pluot and was soon drifting off.

Tyler had a great day.

Night night,

Sue

That's what I said so I looked it up:

A pluot (plü-ot) is a tradename for a fruit developed in the late 20th century by Floyd Zaiger.[1] In the United States, the fruit is known by most regulatory agencies as an interspecific plum[2]. It is a complex cross hybrid of plum and apricot, being ¾ plum and ¼ apricot in parentage. The pluot, like the aprium, is derived from the ½ plum ½ apricot hybrid called the plumcot.

The fruit's exterior fairly closely resembles a plum's. Pluots are noted for their sweetness (due to a very high sugar content) and for their intense flavor. They are also extremely juicy. Pluots are also rich in vitamin A.

"Pluot" is a registered trademark of Zaiger's Genetics.

Friday, August 14, 2009 9:00 AM, PDT

Good morning,

I apologize for not posting last night. I had guests in for dinner, which meant wine and lots of food that lead to falling asleep when I sat down with a cuppa tea.

Yesterday morning Tyler was still bubbling with joy from the balloon event. We shared the experience from our perspectives, she inside, me outside. I showed her the photos and video. The morning nurse was way impressed and sorry she missed it.

Tyler took her morning meal on her throne. But before that her physical therapist, Maria, made her work hard for the fresh peaches and berries. I was happy to see Maria gave Tyler the “that’s all you can do? I thought you were a dancer”. Maria asked for music. I jumped up and searched the iPod and guess what I found. Think about it. A bit more. Yep. Dancin’ Queen.

Tyler’s nurse, Lorraine, was diddling with some sort of tube and quickly joined in the dancing and singing. I was twirling about, Lorraine swinging her hips, Maria stretching Tyler’s ankles, and the Dancin’ Queen was smiling and shaking her head.

Tyler’s doctors have talked to her about the road ahead. She will have at least 2 more skin grafts. She will be in the burn unit for another month. From there she will go to the hospital rehab center, as her wounds will still need care. Here she will be focused on physical and occupational therapy. She is looking at a 2 month stay. From there it will be the ride home or to another transitional location depending on her progress. Though her road to a full recovery is long, we all know Tyler will travel that road with grace, courage, and style.

Susan reports Tyler slept through the evening visit. After all the singing and dancing, I’m not surprised.

Happy Friday!

Sue

Friday, August 14, 2009 10:54 PM, PDT

Friday 10:30PM

Greetings,

Yep, another late update.

Tyler is facing another challenge. Her kidneys have been working overtime and are stressd. She is not processing potassium correctly and has been on a low potassium diet for the past few days. Though the potassium levels in her body are stable, it is still too high. Today, the doctors tested her more frequently. Based on the results, Tyler may need to have dialysis for a short time to help her kidneys recover. Tyler asked me to let you all know she needs mojo and prayers for her kidneys.

Despite her new challenge, Tyler’s strength and humor shine through. Today we talked about the new fancy schmancy mouse she received as part of her computer gift. It is some hold it in the air and point it at the computer thingy. I turned it on…the button was obvious….and whoa, it has an orange display of sorts. Way cool.

Tyler looked closely at it, held it up in the air and started making circles in the air and said…..think about it….."wax on, wax off". I started to laugh. Then she stopped and said….try to guess again….."stop, in the name of love". By this time I am laughing far too loud. I was worried about being thrown out by Nurse Ratchet.

Tyler’s bandage changes have been reduced to 3 times per day. Doing so allows her to get more sleep and take less pain medication. She is pleased with that to say the least.

She was in good spirits this evening. Her chicken dinner and fresh blackberries for dessert pleased her.

I left her as she was drifting off to sleep.

Tyler needs our prayers tonight.

Sweet dreams,

Sue

Dialysis is unnerving news - hoping it's a one-time, small glitch in an otherwise steady recovery.

My Best Wishes!!

Saturday, August 15, 2009 9:34 AM, MDT

Good morning Tyler Fans,

Susan G. here, just thought I’d give Jaime and Sue P. a hand with this momentous task of updating all of us eager beavers waiting for a Tyler update. Just think about it, the Tyler news of the day has to be written about, not giving too much personal information, with a sense of humor and all the while using proper English, grammar and pronunciation, all delivered to us on a semi daily basis. Wow, hold the presses, it’s gonna take me a while just to get my thoughts together, let alone down on paper and published on the Careingbridge site.

Oh and BTW a shameless plug for the Careingbridge providers, if you’ve benefitted from their (Caringbridge) services, i.e. being able to find out the latest Tyler news, please take a moment and press their "donate" button. This site has been invaluable to all of us that care about Tyler’s progress, I can’t imagine what news, misinformation, rumors or silence would be moving thru the lines without Careingbridge.

And now on to the Tyler News. Tyler is actually doing quite remarkably considering what she’s been thru and how long it’s been since her accident, 52 days ago. She’s had her up days and then followed by the down days, you know kinda like a roller coaster of sorts. Well we’ve all heard "life’s a roller coaster ride" and that’s an understatement in the life of Tyler right now. Don’t get me wrong, all’s stable today, however that doesn’t mean there won’t be another bump in the road tomorrow.

At least two more grafts are in her future. Each time they do a skin graft Tyler’s body has to go into recovery mode. They up her pain meds and she sleeps a lot, which is good, besides being unaware of the pain, her body concentrates on healing.

So to all that are wondering and asking "when will we get to visit" just let me say she is as anxious as any of us, really more anxious to be up and about, visiting as she pleases. Just yesterday when I thought she woke up for a brief moment while I was picking up her room and getting things ready for her evening bandage change and meal, she was saying that she’d been making plans to go home. I said really, maybe I’d better go get you a pair of tennis shoes because your gonna need them to run fast if you think your leaving tonight. In answer she promptly gave me a loud (I mean lady like) snore and mumbled a few more things, which I think they’ll censor if I put them in writing. In other words please, please be patient, as soon as things look good for her visiting she’ll be right there ready and waiting upon her throne.

In the meantime we’ll just have to be satisfied with reading semi daily updates, taking motorcycle rides (some in her honor), having balloon rallies, sending cards and positive mojo (or whatever you call it) and writing messages in her guest book (which is read to her every morning) till she progress to the point that infection is not one of her worst nightmares. When we get thru this, we’ll look back and remember the rides, balloons, cards and love that’s been sent and not so much the time this journey took.

BTW, anytime someone asks me to give Tyler a hug and kiss from them, I’m right on it!

Me thinks this is the time to ratchet up support for Tyler. She is in the dog days of recovery, where it's been so long and have 30 eternities to go. I know, I've been there. So buck up boyz, send more cards, upgrade the good thoughts, let her know we're still 100% with her. Oh, flowers are good too, just sayin'..

Love ya T!

Sunday, August 16, 2009 7:17 AM, PDT

Sunday, 7:30 AM

Good morning,

Just a quick update this morning. Tyler's kidneys are stable at this point thus no decision has been made about dialysis.

Family dominates her weekend visits so I only spent a few minutes with the Queen yesterday. Up until the reduction in the number of bandage changes, only her morning visits were filled with raucous laughter and Tyler antics. Now, evening visitors are seeing the Tyler I saw every morning. Tyler did not disappoint her visitors yesterday. She was bright, cheery, and eating her fresh fruit treats.

Tyler’s medical staff and visiting team lit up when a yummy package of goodies prepared by Tyler’s friend Pamela arrived at the hospital. Pamela is a master in the kitchen. Thank you Pamela.

I’m off to yoga. I will post another update this evening.

Have a lovely Sunday.

Sue

Sunday, August 16, 2009 11:48 PM, MDT

Sunday, 10:30PM

Greetings,

Another quick update. I promise more tomorrow.

Today’s tests indicated Tyler’s kidneys are still stressed. She spent more time sleeping today and it took more than a gentle nudge to wake her up for a meal. Tonight she was promised giant strawberries if she ate a few bites of stew, rice, and carrots. She complied and was rewarded. Within an hour she was nodding off so I departed knowing she needed a rest before her next bandage change scheduled for a short later.

Hope you all had a lovely weekend.

Night night,

Sue

Monday, August 17, 2009 10:53 PM, PDT

Good evening all you Tyler Fans, I promised Sue P. that I would give the Tyler update this evening so bare with me on this one.

For the past month and a half, we’ve been reading about Tyler’s daily progress, and I know how important these reports are to so many people out there. People out there who check in most every day to see her progress and challenges. I’m in charge of her mail, so I get to see the return address on the cards that come in and it’s amazing how far and wide Tyler has touched people. Many of the cards are from people that have never met Tyler but have heard of her from a friend or relative as is the case in my family. Most every day I get a call from one of my family members and it never fails that they ask me how Tyler is doing. I’m sure that it’s the same for many of you out there reading this today. Please pass on to them that Tyler really appreciates all the outpouring of prayers, love and good wishes that she has received. Keep the mojo, or whatever you call it coming.

Tyler’s weekend crew said they too were blessed with her gentle snoring (we say gentle to be polite, but let me tell you I’ve heard a couple of biggys coming from her highness). Lots of sleeping going on in that room. Doctors explained that because her kidneys weren’t working up to par, the meds were cycling thru her system at a slower rate, and this is probably why she’s sleeping so much.

As of Monday morning there hadn’t been any change in the kidney function so Tyler continues the restricted diet and sleep, sleep, sleep. Rest on my dear, hopefully sleep helps with the healing process. Her blood count is also down so she’ll be receiving some more blood and that should give her a boost too.

Oh and thanks to whoever it was that sent the card "Queen of Fricken Everything" Tyler got quite a giggle out of that one in particular.

One last quick story. I arrived at my normal time... Tyler’s nap time. Tyler was sawing logs pretty good so I decided that I would just putz around and clean up her room, turn on her music, peel a piece of fruit for her, help the nurse set a pic line... (who really knows how to spell that one) anyway I try to wake her up a couple of times to no avail so after an hour I decide to wait in the waiting area for her evening visitor to arrive, mainly because I’m dying of heat prostrate. it’s so darn hot in her room. One of the drawbacks of having a room that gets the perfect view of sunsets. I wanted to let them know she hasn’t eaten lunch or dinner yet. When I returned to her room her evening visitor was there with Shannon too. As Shannon held Tyler’s hand Tyler began to say something about Shannon portraying Michael Jackson in a upcoming production that’s in the works.... we all got a good laugh out of that one. The only thing we could figure out is that because Shannon is wearing the blue hospital gloves, somehow Tyler put that together with a production she's been working on with the help of those good drugs.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:51 PM, PDT

Monday, 9PM

Good evening,

It has been a great day in Tyler’s neighborhood.

Tyler’s renal team report her kidneys are improving. Woohoo!! Though she is not scheduled for dialysis, she is still on a restricted diet and diuretics. Tyler asked me to thank all of you for the extra mojo and prayers.

Susan and I traded visit shifts today so I could attend a morning yoga class and she could have dinner with her family. Susan reports that even though it took a good while to wake our girl up, Tyler was bright and chatty this morning. Her breakfast of scones and raspberries pleased her Highness.

During my visit this evening, I wasn’t as patient as Susan. Tyler and I have shared a hotel room or two on many rides over the past few years. I’m a morning girl, Tyler is not. I’ve learned how to wake her up. A gentle nudge followed by some humming. Wait a bit. Nudge again. Fuss about the room talking about anything. I use the same technique when I visit her.

Now now, I’m not being mean or anything. I always visit during meal times and it is extremely important that she eat. I’ve taken getting her filled with good food on as a personal mission…along with getting her to do her exercises.

This evening Tyler made that “ick” face at her turkey, carrots, and rice. Thank goodness I brought snap peas, one of her favorites. She ate her meal while chatting. She was pleased to have the company.

Her medical team showed up for a bandage change so I said my good nights.

Hope you all had a good day.

Sue

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 10:22 PM, PDT

Good evening,

Tyler’s neighborhood is growing.

Tyler and I shared a lovely two hours this morning. Chatting about SBR gossip, reading her Guest Book postings, eating, opening her mail, and doing a few exercises filled the time. In fact, we exercised together since I too have launched into a new phase of my recovery process. Traveling this road with Tyler is an honor.

I joined Susan for an evening visit as I was requested to bring BBQ chicken and snap peas for Her Highness’s dinner. I arrived to find Susan tidying up Tyler’s room and Tyler snoozing. Susan and I chatted a bit and decided it was time to wake the Queen for dinner.

After a bit of gentle jostling Tyler was awake and joining in the conversation. More SBR gossip, news of Shannon winning a spot in a fashion show, and Tyler’s latest accomplishment had the three of us celebrating.

Yep. Tyler reached a milestone today. She swung her legs over the edge of the bed. It may not sound like a big deal to most of you but, for those of us who have been though recovery from a major injury knows different.

I listened to Tyler describe how difficult it was to schooch her legs and butt closer to the edge of the bed. I asked her how it felt to have her back exposed to the air and she smiled at me and said, “It felt great”. I know how great it feels. Not only physically, but emotionally and spiritually. Well done Tyler. You are my hero.

Tyler’s neighborhood now includes the edge of her bed.

Sweet dreams to each of you.

Sue