Tyler down in serious condition in Idaho!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just came across this bad news. Tyler, when you can read this, please know that even those of us a few thousand miles away wish you to make a full and speedy recovery.

So sorry to read this!!! Judy and I were in Idaho Friday from Missoula south to Boise and then west to Caldwell for the night. I've been offline until this afternoon, but we must have been close by. Terrible news.

Please get well soon, Tyler!

Just as a reminder people...

Jamie ( Tyler's sister ) says she took over 3 gallons of blood so far in her recovery. That's a big hit on the local blood supply.

It doesn't matter where you call home, the Red Cross has sent out an urgent appeal for blood donations. If you can find it within you, please schedule a donation sometime this week.

Tyler's case shows how much we all depend on the emergency medical system in this country.

nuff said.

Brodie

Canadian Blood Services accepts donations everry 56 days. I'm a regular donor :)

Just as a reminder people...
Jamie ( Tyler's sister ) says she took over 3 gallons of blood so far in her recovery. That's a big hit on the local blood supply.

It doesn't matter where you call home, the Red Cross has sent out an urgent appeal for blood donations. If you can find it within you, please schedule a donation sometime this week.

Tyler's case shows how much we all depend on the emergency medical system in this country.

nuff said.

Brodie

T -
The world of recovery will challenge your inner-most being. I know of what I speak.

And from that memory I wish you inner strength, a strong network of family and friends,

and most importantly,

patience.

Recovery will take time T, time.

Know that you will be better, you will ride again, you will laugh and smile.

My deepest prayers are with you T -

dc
What DC said... I was once told... "he'll never walk again"... **** 'em, you will, can't wait to meet you.

from just recent https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tylerrisk/journal

Sunday, June 28, 2009 6:01 PM, MDT

No news is good news, folks. :) Tyler is still plugging along, steady as she goes. I read all the new guest book entries to her early this afternoon as she rested. She got a visit from Susan & Michael today & opened her eyes in response to their voices. She is still "following commands" & wiggling her toes like the dancer she is. I've also noticed her trying to nod a bit when we talk to her.

The nurse is right now trying to use a sponge implement to "brush" her teeth & swab the interior of her mouth to prevent bacteria from getting into her lungs (it's all about pneumonia prevention, gang). The nurse noted Ty hates this procedure, so I'm sure you'll all be shocked to hear that Ty tries to bite the implement the nurse uses because she doesn't like it. That's our girl...

She's not currently showing any indication of infection, but she is at a very high risk of one, either in her lungs or the locations of her injuries, so they're treating her with antibiotics as though she has one in order to prevent it from actually happening. She's getting a new bed later tonight that is a "deluxe" version (she would expect no less, I'm sure) that is better suited to relieving pressure from her body & preventing bed sores.

That's all for now. Your well wishes have buoyed us tremendously, and your attention & involvement mean the world to us now & will mean the world to her when she's more with us. Thank you.

-Jaime

There's no shortage of blood supply, just a shortage of donors.

WTF? It's the least expensive and most philanthropic form of charity one can give, and the vast majority of people still won't go unless there's some kind of natural disaster nearby. I even get free Twinkies & juice when I donate! I have given every eight weeks for the last 25 years, mostly, but my eligibility doesn't come up again until 7/22. Somebody else is gonna have to step up on this one.

My blood type is O-CMV-, which means anybody in the world, even those with no immunities, like premature babies and HIV patients, can have it.

Just do it. The life you may save might be appreciated by their loved ones....

<virtual hug> :friends:
Ditto for certain!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh! Just heard! Today has been glorious, ...'til now! What a drag! No idea how I missed this, ['til Old Michael passed it along], ...thanks man. Lotsa prayers & positive thoughts to "our Forum's own little ray of sunshine" & all those close to her!!! This place is gonna be boring w/o Tylers posts [snide remarks & sly observations] and especially ride reports, for a spell! Here's to a Speeeedy Recovery young lady!!

WTF? It's the least expensive and most philanthropic form of charity one can give, and the vast majority of people still won't go unless there's some kind of natural disaster nearby. I even get free Twinkies & juice when I donate!Just do it. The life you may save might be appreciated by their loved ones....
+1 million, gunny, and I second what Toecutter says. Blood supplies are at low to critical levels all over the country. Strict safety criteria has ruled out some of the donor pool (e.g. living in the UK in the 1980s disqualifies you to donate blood in the US, due to fears of BSE / CJ syndrome). One critically ill or injured patient can wipe out a hospital's whole supply in a short time. Thanks to generous donors, Tyler is still able to carry on her fight to live, and to recover. During her hospital stay, Tyler may need more blood products.

Every day, in hospitals all over the country, blood products are used to save lives. Each donation is split into components then used to save multiple lives e.g. red blood cells, platelets, plasma, cryo-precipitate.

I can no longer donate blood, but I can get up here on my soapbox and hopefully persuade some of you eligible people to help. You meet good hearted people AND you get free juice and cookies.

I'll throw my small add-on to keep this effort in people's minds. I give blood regularly at work and yes, it hurts a tiny bit. But no more than monkey butt, and for a hell of a lot less time. As a nurse I have seen what whole blood and blood products can do to save lives.

Hell, they even give you a nice bed to lay on and pretty colored cling for your arm. And I know for a fact you can ask for another cookie and they won't say no. With a little luck the phlebotomist or nurse will even be easy on the eyes....

Maybe your blood won't specifically help Tyler, but everywhere there are Tylers and their families worried to death and quietly thanking all those who give: I have heard families thank unknown people through their nurses and doctors for the strangers that cared enough to save lives by their donations of blood, marrow, organs, etc.

<virtual hug> :friends:
ditto, though a gentle hug for the time being, and prayers. I was wrapping up my Lap of California and met up with George and Matt in Morro Bay, CA yesterday when George told me (thank you George).

Tyler - best wishes for the physical and mental challenges that lay ahead for you. Also praying for patience and comfort for your family and friends.

It is terrible to read of such accidents, but it is important to remember that is the risk we live with when we ride. For some of us, we Ride to Live, and Live to Ride. I just completed an 8-day, 3150 mile Lap Of California. Tyler - get well so you can do such a ride yourself!

My blood type is O-CMV- (snip)
Yo...Toecutter (Bob), I am going to "seek" you out as a riding buddy more often!

Kudos on the "blood donations" over the years! It's time for me to go make one of my own.

This IS turning into a "REAL" thread, so thanks in advance (TIA) for the idea everybody!

Last edited by a moderator:
from just recent https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tylerrisk/journal
Sunday, June 28, 2009 6:01 PM, MDT

No news is good news, folks. :) Tyler is still plugging along, steady as she goes. I read all the new guest book entries to her early this afternoon as she rested. She got a visit from Susan & Michael today & opened her eyes in response to their voices. She is still "following commands" & wiggling her toes like the dancer she is. I've also noticed her trying to nod a bit when we talk to her.

The nurse is right now trying to use a sponge implement to "brush" her teeth & swab the interior of her mouth to prevent bacteria from getting into her lungs (it's all about pneumonia prevention, gang). The nurse noted Ty hates this procedure, so I'm sure you'll all be shocked to hear that Ty tries to bite the implement the nurse uses because she doesn't like it. That's our girl...

She's not currently showing any indication of infection, but she is at a very high risk of one, either in her lungs or the locations of her injuries, so they're treating her with antibiotics as though she has one in order to prevent it from actually happening. She's getting a new bed later tonight that is a "deluxe" version (she would expect no less, I'm sure) that is better suited to relieving pressure from her body & preventing bed sores.

That's all for now. Your well wishes have buoyed us tremendously, and your attention & involvement mean the world to us now & will mean the world to her when she's more with us. Thank you.

-Jaime
Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:04 PM, MDT

Okay, the new bed is *awesome* & very definitely fit for the queen that our Ty is. It inflates at 20 min intervals, first one side, then the next, then both sides together. The point of it is to move the fluid in her lungs in to the center so it'll come out easier, as well as change pressure points on her body which is easier on her skin. They were having to move her manually before, and it was a pretty jerky process. Much better for our girl now.

She will continue to be on the ventilator until she's better able to extract oxygen from the air she's taking in. We normally breathe air that's about 21% oxygen but they're having to pump her w/a 60% oxygen mix to keep her blood oxygen level up where it should be. They said her lungs are weak due to the trauma & the fluid still in there. Her lung functioning seems to be one of the big focal points in their treatment right now (as well as dressing changes, infection prevention, etc.) [Disclaimer: I'm regurgitating what was told to us - apologies to medical folks if I got that wrong. :) ]

She's still opening her eyes in response to voices. Big moment for Shannon tonight when Ty squeezed Shan's hand as Shan was talking to her. (Oh God, I'm getting all veklempt right now as I type this - I'm still getting used to these spontaneous waves of emotion - good times.) She's quite a trooper and it's an honor to be here to help her through this in the limited way I can.

Several of you have asked questions re: donating blood. She is no longer receiving units of blood herself, but please, if you are able, go to your local blood bank & donate to help the next person in need. The Red Cross has some great info on their website re: the hows & wheres.

I feel like I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but truly, your comments and emails are like a life raft sometimes. They are an absolute joy to read, both to her, and to ourselves when we need a boost. She's puttin' up some big numbers on this website and truth be told, it's kinda fun to brag about her posse to the med personnel. You guys are great. Have a good night. Will post again tomorrow.

-Jaime

Jaime and Shannon,

I know we are all focused on Tyler right now, but take care of yourselves, also.

I hope the hospital there is helping you out. If not, start asking what facilities they have for you.

I sat with my wife in intensive care for 10 days, sleeping in a waiting room chair, and didn't find out for a week that there was a place to take a shower.

Just a thought, as night falls.

So you're lying in your hospital bed, heavily drugged, but still in sickening pain.

The nurses have done the shift change, the visitors have come and gone,

the lights in the hallway are dimmed,

and now it's you and the ceiling, ...and the IV, and the monitors.

You wonder if life will ever be the same, or if you'll ever be the same.

We're with you Tyler. You'll be better.

Good night kid.

Last edited by a moderator:
OM ~

I'm glad I got to read your thoughts just now. How true they are, as you well know (as do I, unfortunately).

I'm off to bed now, and will take your thoughts with me, and feel better for Tyler because of your sharing.

Lots of good folks here... all pulling like hell for T's complete recovery!

Don