What are you paying for insurance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should all consider yourselves lucky. Insurance hates me and I have been nothing but good.

My first car (bought and insured by me) was a corvette @ $5500 a year.

I drive an 06 dakota now and they charge $3500 a year for that.

I have a '93 CBR600F2 that I refuse to insure because they want 2200 a year for it.

The quote for an 08 FJR is second lowest of anything, at $1700 a year for minimal coverage (liability and coll/comp). Only the 06 and below concours beats that @ $900 a year.

Worst part of all of this, is I have a clean driving record with no accidents, or even claims. Those motorcycle quotes were through geico, and because I have an auto policy with them it saves at LEAST 1000 per quote. Progressive and farmers wanted 2x as much. Sucks to be 21 and male.

I pay $144 for my VTX 1800 and $208 for the FJR. Thats for 100/300 with $3000 accessory and $1000 riding gear coverage and a $500 ded. 12 mo. policy.

Ended up getting $248 from Dairyland (Sentry) for 12 month full coverage. Nothing could else could get near that. After reading all the posts, seems like age and location make all the difference - and I haven't cracked 50 yet! But it's a short riding season and they figure that in somehow. Oh well, just hope I never need to use it. :dribble:

Just got the bill due 4/18.

$408/yr for two bikes. Proformance Ins. The FJR has full coverage and the WR250F (registered) is liability only.

You should all consider yourselves lucky. Insurance hates me and I have been nothing but good.
My first car (bought and insured by me) was a corvette @ $5500 a year.

I drive an 06 dakota now and they charge $3500 a year for that.

I have a '93 CBR600F2 that I refuse to insure because they want 2200 a year for it.

The quote for an 08 FJR is second lowest of anything, at $1700 a year for minimal coverage (liability and coll/comp). Only the 06 and below concours beats that @ $900 a year.

Worst part of all of this, is I have a clean driving record with no accidents, or even claims. Those motorcycle quotes were through geico, and because I have an auto policy with them it saves at LEAST 1000 per quote. Progressive and farmers wanted 2x as much. Sucks to be 21 and male.
Sucks to be 50...I would rather be 21 and pay high insurance :angry:

I just saved $500 for this upcoming year and got more coverage by dumping Dairyland and going with Progressive. Apparently Dairyland doesn't want to insure FJRs very badly. My premium went from $932 to $428. Adios Dairyland.

Unless you compare your insurance to someone in the same zip code as you, your not going to be able to get a real comparison. Not only that, but age, type of ins, etc are big factors as well.
Gunny!!

Only riding 8 mos or so per year should have you paying much less. Texas and other states can be pretty cheap for insurance.

My premium went from $932 to $428. Adios Dairyland.
I know there is a lot of things to compare. But I have been very happy with my Dairyland Ins in MN. I'm paying 264.00 for Full coverage. I can't remember what the coverage numbers are but it not just liability. I can ride about half of what you guys do, so maybe thats where the savings are.

$453.00 a year for 50k/100k/50k and un/underinsured motorist and Sunny Day Discount thru Geico on an 07 AE.

Just got my insurance bill and they whant $456 for a year. Is this in line with what you are paying. Clean driving & riding record. This is with Farmers Ins.
I got a quote today from Progressive for a potential buy of an 08 FJR. It was about $370/yr for comprehensive/UI etc. but collision alone was $670 give or take a few $$. My current K7DL650ABS is about $200/yr and I don't carry collision on it. So I doubt I will pay over $1,000/yr for one motorcycle since my 2 motorcycles now and 2 cars run about $1600 combined/yr. :( North Carolina is a tough state for MC insurance.

JDP

Unless you compare your insurance to someone in the same zip code as you, your not going to be able to get a real comparison. Not only that, but age, type of ins, etc are big factors as well.
Vectervp1 is absolutely correct. It doesn't do any good comparing insurance prices if you live in a different State or even zip code. Then there are a number of options that really affect the price such as deductible, medical coverage, and liability amounts.

I just got hit from behind and my FJR was totalled. I have learned a lot about what we really need and what we don't need in motorcycle insurance. Uninsured/underinsured, which I did not carry would just about double my premium but may be worth it. We don't need to carry 300k in liability. Even if we hit a Lexus or Hummer we're not going to do that kind of damage. Some one mentioned they had $2000.00 in medical in case they are injured. I just had over $10,000.00 in shoulder surgery and emergency room expense and about $2000.00 to get me and my totalled bike home.

My insurance Dairyland is paying for my bike and equipment that was damaged. It seems that most of these insurance companies only pay about $50.00 to $100.00 for towing. It cost me $421.00 to get my bike picked up and taken 85 miles to their facility where a friend picked it up with a Uhaul on the way back from CA and brought it the 1200 miles home. A girl hit me in a center turn lane while I had my signal on turning left and was slowing down. Her off brand insurance company has not accepted liability and may not.The girl hit me in a center turn lane while I had my signal on turning left and was slowing down.

I suggest we all ask more questions about what we get and what we got so when we really need it we have it. Sometimes it pays to pay more not less.

Just got my insurance bill and they whant $456 for a year. Is this in line with what you are paying. Clean driving & riding record. This is with Farmers Ins.
I am paying $195.00 a year for full coverage 250/500 liability, under insured mototorist, uninsured motorist, $500.00 deductable on collision and comp. This is thru Foremost Insurance my bike is a 05 FJR with ABS. :clapping:

In the land of New York (Westchester) I pay 496 a year with 500 dect. I'm trying to get them to reduce since I do not ride year round.

In the land of New York (Westchester) I pay 496 a year with 500 dect. I'm trying to get them to reduce since I do not ride year round.
All bikes have 250/500/100 $100 dedictuble and I carry a 1 million dollar umbrella policy

2006 Harley Road Glide 450.00 year

2007 FJR $228.00 per year

2008 Harley Low Rider $378.00 yer

All through State Farm.

The only comparison worth a damn is a direct comparison of quotes YOU get from two different companies for the EXACT same coverage. Nobody else has your zip code, driving record, years of experience and all the other factors that go into determining the price. It might also be nice to deal with a company that people recommend for how they handle that "worst case scenario" rather than worrying too much about saving a few bucks up front. At least, that's how I see it.