What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rode it! It's been a little while since I've been able to do this. Took a little 2.5 hour ride to let her stretch her legs on a mixture of slab and curves.

Now have 850 miles on the odometer and will perform oil and filter change #2 (did the first one at 350 miles and was surprised an the grunginess of the oil) then will continue every 4k miles, per manual.

How about "What did I do to my FJR this week?"

Monday = new Givi SR357 topcase rack installed.

Tuesday = attached Givi V47 and wired up the Admore lighting LEDs.

Wednesday = installed new Kuryakyn ISO grips.

Thursday = wired up the Gerbing's dual temperature controller.

Friday = installed Cee Bailey's +6 +2 windshield.

Saturday = took the new-to-me bike for a ride to test everything.

.....then will continue ..... per manual.
That's a strange one, have you noticed? The MOM says replace the filter every other oil change. You're not going that route are you?
I do. Why not? How much crap do you think your engine throws off in one oil change? Do you think that filter is full of dirt in 4k miles?

Changing the filter every time may make you feel good, but beyond that it isn't really accomplishing much. When the design engineers at Yamaha said to change the filter every other oil change (IOW 8k miles) I'm sure they determined that it could go at least twice that long safely and set the spec on the safe side.

As for getting a "complete" oil change, there is almost a full quart of dirty oil left behind inside the engine even when you do change out the filter. How dirty does that make you feel?
tonguesmiley.gif

It's been raining for a couple days, so no riding.

Yeah, I know. It's pretty silly - but with 340+ days per year without rain - people around here don't know how to drive in the rain.

Since I'd done Lucille's cooling system a couple weeks ago, I did Rose's.

And I let Lucille watch.

They both said I was a pervert.

But we all had fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed the HyperLites Brake Lights I pulled off my FZ1 before selling it. And Plasti-Dipped the side cases, after removing the reflectors.

Did all of the 4000 mile service stuff (4419 miles) cept the oil change (did that at 3700)

About 4 hours of quality time in the cave :)

... just gotta put the new rear rubber on, and maybe wait for the thermometer to go above 11 degrees...

Yamaha Touring screen installed,

Canyon Cages Installed,

Givi Tail Bag Mount Installed

MV Risers Installed,

Waiting on the Givi V47

Admore Trunk Light kit

Yamaha Hand Protectors

Still to do:

GPS ? TomTom Rider I think

Battery Tender Lead

Radar Detector and Mount?

This concludes the last weekend I have leisurely time to spend on the bike before I ride to Jax for the IBA party and SS1000. 59,600 miles on the clock.

I entered this weekend with a maintenance list, all completed now.

Install Vibranator bar ends CLICKY (I put these on a few days ago)

S05-B02-R06-N02-M01-T150-BRT-2T.jpg

Thermostat gasket seeping..install new thermostat and change coolant.

I did this yesterday and rode around a bit, allowing 3 or 4 warm up cycles.

Today I popped the cap and topped up less than a cupful. I'm sure it would have burped into the overflow bottle, but I feel better now.

Install new Iridium plugs.

30k miles on the last set and NO visible wear. Great looking burn color!

I slightly warmed the engine (1 bar) before pulling the tank The plugs loosened very easily.

Also I had coated the inside of the boots and the area of the plug boot that seals in the valve cover with dielectric paste last service (after a mighty battle). The boots popped out like I had only installed them an hour ago.

Balance throttle bodies at 3k rpm and idle.

I had not done this in 30k miles. Holeshot full exhaust system also added since.

Cylls 2&3 were even. 1&4 were even but lower than 2&3 (at 3k rpm)

Changed oil and diff fluid.

Today's rain rolled out just as I finished allowing me an hour or so for a test ride. The bike was strong and smooth.

I think they like a little attention, like scratching a dogs belly.

Time will tell how much good the Vibranators and TB balance do my right hand numbing. With a 24 hour ride just around the corner, I'll take any reduction in vibration I can get.

A choice that actually means less work and reduces time to completion on The Shop!

I just tested the Lepai amp with the iPhone through only the pair of ceiling-mounted speakers.

Some Leo Kottke.
A little Cat Stevens.
Just a dash of Bruce Dickinson.

NiN, Primus, 1812 Overture, and some other stuff.

After adjusting up the bass a little (even after using the high-freq cut switch as shown on the web photos) it was more than sufficiently loud even at partial volume. It was also surprisingly well defined given the amp and speakers chosen for their cost-of-entry.

Energy RC-6W speakers (I just learned that Klipsch is the parent company)
Lepai 2020A+ amp.

No need to mess with painting the other boxes, installing the speakers and mounting them in the loft. I'll simply coil up those wires and tuck them into their boxes behind the face plates (unused).

Updated interior shots with speakers and electrical trim all installed.

back.jpg

front.jpg

Amp

audio.jpg

Energy RC-6W speakers

speaker04.jpg

I sure hope that door is big enough to get the Feejer through. This was built with the FJR in mind wasn't it? It would make a kool club house though. Where's the kegarator?

Nice job,

Dave

I looked at a kegerator and it's cost prohibitive. I looked at mini fridges and they all currently have poor ratings (plus it would simply dump more heat into the space during the summer). An ice chest will work, is on-hand, is affordable, and can go up in the loft when not being used.

The FJR can get through with the bags off.

I have joked about a rotating turntable to have the FJR slowly turning when people enter.
biggrin.png

Have to say changing the oil but leaving the old filter on is like taking a shower and putting on dirty underwear afterword.

For $5.00 or so why bother leaving on the dirty one? I know it's not filled with dirt but it's still dirty

You're also mixing dirty oil (which your changing because it's not good anymore??) with new oil, that doesn't make sense to me. Whatever floats yer boat but that's my take on it.

Put on a new "Go Cruise" on the grip.

.....then will continue ..... per manual.
That's a strange one, have you noticed? The MOM says replace the filter every other oil change. You're not going that route are you?
As for getting a "complete" oil change, there is almost a full quart of dirty oil left behind inside the engine even when you do change out the filter. How dirty does that make you feel?
tonguesmiley.gif
You sure about that Fred?

When I change the oil and filter I refill with about 4 and a half quarts of oil, can't be about a quart of dirty oil in there otherwise I'd be waay over the top line??

Engine oil
Lubrication system Wet sump
Type YAMALUBE 4 (20W40) or SAE20W40
Recommended engine oil grade API service SE, SF, SG type or higher
Engine oil quantity
Total amount 4.90 L (5.18 US qt) (4.31 Imp.qt)
Without oil filter cartridge replacement 3.80 L (4.02 US qt) (3.34 Imp.qt)
With oil filter cartridge replacement 4.00 L (4.23 US qt) (3.52 Imp.qt.)

Total amount (dry engine) is a quart more that the change volume.