What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wind blowing 25mph so I only did 140 miles today.

I Love this bike!

So smooth from 80-100.

Stayed within the break in rev rules but it was tough.

Haven't been out of Touring Mode yet either.

TomTom works great with Scala G9 and phone. Mounted TT on the MV Supplied Ram Ball between the Bars.

Still learning which buttons to push on the Scala to get stuff working.

Love the heated grips, a first for me as well.

Lots of sand on the twisty roads so haven't played in the corners yet at all.

Taking a cruise at the end of the month with my wife, want to get the break in done before we leave.

Snow in the forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday
sad.png

Sprintime on the Prairie, weather changes every 15 minutes

Last edited by a moderator:
Took most of the fairing off, troubleshot a bad R/R. Though it was a beautiful day for it- clear and 60s- I would have rather been riding!
Jack at CLICKY carries the RR's and also makes a replacement RR harness that cures one of the FJR's weak links.

After waiting over a month in limbo, we finished the valve inspection, new gasket, new CCT, new plugs, new coolant, and fired that baby up!!!
punk.gif

At 68k miles, the original shims are still good, and the original TBS was practically perfect. Gotta love an '03 w/ no issues!

Special thanks to 2fast and Rich Reid! (It was a great day)

Installed my Russel i bought from ABQFJR and went for a short 50 mile ride, im definitely higher (even on lowest setting) than i was with the corbin it replaced , so getting some wind noise from the top vent on the shoei ( have a calsci large, may need to consider an XL) , the seat is comfy though definitely an improvement -

Riding up to banff in july ( 3k round trip) , so also ordered hiway peg mounts from Garauld , just need to decide if i want a cramp buster or not

Rebuilt the forks complete, at 49000, they were shot. I was surprised to see how worn out the bushing were. The lower bushing on the right was about 1/2 the thickness of the new one, the oil was muddy to say the least. The left side was about what I expected, some wear, not too bad, and fairly clean oil. Why do you think the right side was worn allot more then the left. I was a flat tracker back in the day, I must be "steering with the rear"
punk.gif

Rebuilt the forks complete, at 49000, they were shot. I was surprised to see how worn out the bushing were. The lower bushing on the right was about 1/2 the thickness of the new one, the oil was muddy to say the least. The left side was about what I expected, some wear, not too bad, and fairly clean oil. Why do you think the right side was worn allot more then the left. I was a flat tracker back in the day, I must be "steering with the rear"
punk.gif
I dunno, but it is interesting that a lot of the folks who report "blown" or leaky seals, it seems to occur more often on the right side also.

Got my rear seat re-worked by Rocky @ BMS Saddles. Now my wife has a big fat, flat, rear seat to 'enjoy the ride'. (all puns intended)
rolleyes.gif

I recommend his front seat too.... best thing since his Dad invented the RDL. www.billmayer-saddles.com did right by me!

Rode it in the warm sun while dodging salt and gravel piles in the twisties.

Tomorrow rain and snow are predicted, so the break was appreciated.

Told it I was sorry for not riding it because I was layed up and injured.

I swear it said "WTF you could have wiped me off"

Promised to take the forks off for new cartridges.

Completed first valve clearance check @ 42K Km. All clearances within specification, and all pretty much equal. Next up: full coolant flush & 'blow job'

Really hoping the rest of the ice/snow will be gone from my yard by next week...

Unless you are changing to a different type of coolant, there is no point in removing every drop of the old stuff via the blowjob. Drain it, refill it with 50:50 and forget it until you do the next valve check. Coolant doesn't really wear out although some of the additives may become partially depleted. It should not pick up significant contamination with a properly functioning engine i.e. no head gasket leak.

Completed first valve clearance check @ 42K Km. All clearances within specification, and all pretty much equal. Next up: full coolant flush & 'blow job'

Unless you are changing to a different type of coolant, there is no point in removing every drop of the old stuff via the blowjob. Drain it, refill it with 50:50 and forget it until you do the next valve check. Coolant doesn't really wear out although some of the additives may become partially depleted. It should not pick up significant contamination with a properly functioning engine i.e. no head gasket leak.

I agree with you Ross, but the last line of silver spirit's post explains all:

Really hoping the rest of the ice/snow will be gone from my yard by next week...
'Tis the season for recreational maintenance!
wink.png

I agree with you Ross, but the last line of silver spirit's post explains all:

'Tis the season for recreational maintenance!
wink.png
You're both right. I think I'll just refill the cooling system, and move on to some other minor maintenance items, such as lubing the lever pivot points.

Also, I'll install the most excellent rear subframe stiffy kit from Garauld, and maybe try once again to fit those PIAA slimline horns.. perhaps bending the horn brackets ..?

Ice is almost gone! Woohoo!

Done!

The FedEx truck arrived at about 1230. I installed the new-to-me Gen2 shock and went for a shakedown ride.

Going from a Gen1 shock with >65,000 miles to a Gen2 shock with <1500 miles... even a dolt like me can tell a difference!

I thought about how I missed Ginger when I rode over 400 miles yesterday going from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West. The aftermarket suspension was great but cruise was necessary to keep my wrist and hands from screaming the next several hours.

Little dyno time for a baseline and a run with Holeshot slip-ons on just to see how bad they play with the A/F curve with out a tune.

dyno_runs_FJR.jpg

Commuted for the first time this season to work....146 miles round trip. Dang it if it wasn't chilly though. Couldn't help but think to myself about what a cheap bastage I am for not having heated gear.

But it felt soooooo good to be riding again!