What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed a set of black anodized 7 click adjustable levers.
Got a link?

Installed a set of black anodized 7 click adjustable levers.
Got a link?
Knock-offs from the2wheels is frugal option. I've got about four sets of these in various colors / lengths rattling around.

--G
I confess to going with the cheap ones from the2wheels . You can use the link kindly provided by escapefjrtist. I did not realize exactly where I was ordering them from (China) but I loved the way they looked in the photos. Of course they look different in person, the grooves machined into the levers on the website were not present on my levers.

I liked them well enough that I will be ordering a set for Dad's '07 but I will either go with the Pazzo or the AVS.

Received my new (and first ever) Russel Day-Long saddle two days ago. I went all out on this one for the girlfriend and I.
punk.gif

It is a work of art!

Unfortunately, though the jury is still out I think it will be going back sooner than later.
sadsmiley.gif
I don't have a problem thinking that the seat might have to be redone. You having a girl friend on the other hand, kinda hard to believe.
no.gif

Unfortunately, though the jury is still out I think it will be going back sooner than later
Rut-roh...what's up Skoot?

--G

Well, after a whopping 200 miles.......... it's too high! My ass seems to be happy with the shape though I think I would like another 1/4" - 1/2" rise in the front to keep from sliding forward, but it is too high! Feels like I am 1.5" - 3" higher than stock. Even in low seat position it is much higher than stock in high position. I went to from easily flat-footing to barely not being able to. But I can live with that. But raising my whole butt and torso makes me lean forward more and is making things uncomfortable for the arms, wrists, and shoulders. It puts me in more of a sport bike position. This even with the Heli riser triple clamp. And it feels like I am too high over the windshield.

I am going to ride it for another 1,000 miles or so and let it break in but I anticipate it going back for adjustment. The g/f's rear seat looks absolutely wonderful though she hasn't tried it yet. One of the reasons I went with the leather Russel is I have sat on Fairlaner's several times and love it. I don't remember it being all that much higher than stock.
Hey Greg,

Yeah, the Russell does raise your pelvis up quite a bit. Your seats look almost identical to mine, same pattern and full leather. With you being a bit shorter of leg than me, you may want to try to develop the habit of sliding forward in the seat when you come to a stop, which gives your leg a straighter shot to the ground. I have to do that on my Manstrom after having the Russell made for it. Most of the time I just use the one foot down, unless I need to back the bike up. Then it's a slide up on the seat, or dismount and yank from the side.

The seat will definitely get slightly lower as it breaks in, and the wings start to become pressed lower over time too, especially with the leather cover, which will stretch out some with saddle time. But you may want to send it back and have them scoop out some of the foam from the seat "pocket" in the back if you feel that are sliding forward into the tank. I had the same issue and had them do that on my 1st Gen FJR seat, and afterwards it was fantastic. It doesn't take much change to make a big difference in that regard. And since so much of your weight is supported by the wings and front of the seat you really don't need a lot of foam padding in the back there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, though the jury is still out I think it will be going back sooner than later

--G

Well, after a whopping 200 miles.......... it's too high! My ass seems to be happy with the shape though I think I would like another 1/4" - 1/2" rise in the front to keep from sliding forward, but it is too high! Feels like I am 1.5" - 3" higher than stock. Even in low seat position it is much higher than stock in high position. I went to from easily flat-footing to barely not being able to. But I can live with that. But raising my whole butt and torso makes me lean forward more and is making things uncomfortable for the arms, wrists, and shoulders. It puts me in more of a sport bike position. This even with the Heli riser triple clamp. And it feels like I am too high over the windshield.

I am going to ride it for another 1,000 miles or so and let it break in but I anticipate it going back for adjustment. The g/f's rear seat looks absolutely wonderful though she hasn't tried it yet. One of the reasons I went with the leather Russel is I have sat on Fairlaner's several times and love it. I don't remember it being all that much higher than stock.
Hey Greg,

Yeah, the Russell does raise your pelvis up quite a bit. Your seats look almost identical to mine, same pattern and full leather. With you being a bit shorter of leg than me, you may want to try to develop the habit of sliding forward in the seat when you come to a stop, which gives your leg a straighter shot to the ground. I have to do that on my Manstrom after having the Russell made for it. Most of the time I just use the one foot down, unless I need to back the bike up. Then it's a slide up on the seat, or dismount and yank from the side.

The seat will definitely get slightly lower as it breaks in, and the wings start to become pressed lower over time too, especially with the leather cover, which will stretch out some with saddle time. But you may want to send it back and have them scoop out some of the foam from the seat "pocket" in the back if you feel that are sliding forward into the tank. I had the same issue and had them do that on my 1st Gen FJR seat, and afterwards it was fantastic. It doesn't take much change to make a big difference in that regard. And since so much of your weight is supported by the wings and front of the seat you really don't need a lot of foam padding in the back there.
I tried and tried to like the RDL I had. Nope, simply too tall. I was not comfortable adding yet more riser, possibly lowering the bike, having the seat re-done remotely (not a ride-in), getting a taller windhield, etc.- all the things skoots mentions. Buying a RDL seat was IMO a big mistake mostly b/c the bike suddenly became too tall for my comfort and the seat was no more comfortable to me than the stock one. I felt it was too hard and I was sitting on it like a wooden cushionless kitchen chair instead of in it like a nice lounge chair. I also had to slide all the way forward and off the seat to the left, not easy with the wings, just to get my left toes down. I sold it to someone else to try, definitely not for me.

Why does anybody need to flatfoot a bike? Ever?

Never could. Never gave it a second thought.

Greg, ride it until the foam compresses to your precious ass's shape and you can flatfoot again to your hearts desire.

You must be from the south side of Wheaton!

Greg, ride it until the foam compresses to your precious ass's shape and you can flatfoot again to your hearts desire.

I think it's a subjective comfort thing. Why does anyone need to replace the seat? Why does anyone need to replace the windshield? Why does anyone need to install a throttle lock? Or a cruise control? Or a cramp buster? Or aux lighting? Or hyper lights? Etc., etc. ad nauseum. Besides, I never said anything about flat footing. I said with the RDL I could barely reach with one set of toes and it was a struggle to do so. Reaching the ground with one solid foot is IMO important, at least to me. Maybe you're currently an avid unicyclist- I was in my teenage yrs but the ol' static equilibrium is going down the same path as the hair and the hearing: random at best
wink.png

I think it's a subjective comfort thing. Why does anyone need to replace the seat? Why does anyone need to replace the windshield? Why does anyone need to install a throttle lock? Or a cruise control? Or a cramp buster? Or aux lighting? Or hyper lights? Etc., etc. ad nauseum. Besides, I never said anything about flat footing. I said with the RDL I could barely reach with one set of toes and it was a struggle to do so. Reaching the ground with one solid foot is IMO important, at least to me. Maybe you're currently an avid unicyclist- I was in my teenage yrs but the ol' static equilibrium is going down the same path as the hair and the hearing: random at best
wink.png
My comments were directed towards my buddy Greg in particular. If my scatter pattern went wide, I apologize. I have a 30 inch inseam, so flatfooting with my Russell seat never happened. Didn't matter. I couldn't even flatfoot my first bike, CB550F. I

--G

Hey Greg,

Thanks for the input Fred. I will continue with some miles and see how things go. As it is now, SkooterG is skooting forward to the very front against the tank to get my feet 'almost flat-footed'. Though not preferential, I can live with that. Only worried while heavily loaded, two-up, and having to back up with any kind of incline. After 450k miles on FJRs I will have some adjusting of habits and muscle memory to do.

What I won't be able to live with if it doesn't break in enough is the higher pelvis causing the more forward lean. Then it will be off for an adjustment. While not bad right now, I still think I would like some additional 'slope' to keep me from sliding forward under hard decel. And I'll see how I adjust, but I don't like the feeling of how high I am above the windshield. With the Gen III's improved wind management I was thinking I might be able to live with the stock screen, but need more miles to verify. But with this seat, I have to lift the screen too much to get it where I like. None of these issues with the Rick Mayer seat I first got for my Gen I, the Bill Mayer seat I inherited for my Gen II which is built for someone shorter, nor my Bill Mayer seat for my Gen I that I had them build a half inch higher for touring comfort. On that seat they nailed it right form the git-go on a ride-in. And finally, it was sitting (and farting) on Fairlaner's Russel and not feeling much higher that made me go with Russel and the extra $$$.

...and living in AZ...it's probably a good thing you invested in the heated option
fool.gif

Hey! It gets below 60 degrees here in Arizona don't you know! And I need to keep my buns warm or I start to get cranky!

And Wheatie....................

finger.gif

Hey, one more thing to consider, Greg, and any others dealing with the custom seat position thing...

We all seem to desire a rearward shift to get our "boys" clear of the tank front "squish zone". Just keep in mind that the further you slide your butt backward on the seat the more inclined your upper body is. Especially true for those with shorter arms.

Maybe this was a bit too pedantic to even have mentioned, but some may not realize how when you slide the bottom back the angle of the reach to the bars gets more severe. Depending on one's actual dimensions, moving away from the tank may not be your best choice.

Did someone say there was a free lunch here?
wink.png

Went out and played the Pennsylvania Tag -O-Rama.

Yes, that's me riding in the ice and snow on a day with a high of 19 degrees. Whoo Hoo!

It did not look promising this morning

D2AEFC3B-48FD-4D51-9477-A140BF7EBF8F.jpg

But I got out and placed the tag at the Haymaker well

44FDABC8-27CB-488F-AD34-747632045F0F.jpg

Don Stanley is a pussy...JSNS
punk.gif

Hey, one more thing to consider, Greg, and any others dealing with the custom seat position thing...
We all seem to desire a rearward shift to get our "boys" clear of the tank front "squish zone". Just keep in mind that the further you slide your butt backward on the seat the more inclined your upper body is. Especially true for those with shorter arms.

Maybe this was a bit too pedantic to even have mentioned, but some may not realize how when you slide the bottom back the angle of the reach to the bars gets more severe. Depending on one's actual dimensions, moving away from the tank may not be your best choice.

Did someone say there was a free lunch here?
wink.png

Yes, a valid point and one I considered. In all my other FJR experience I have not liked being close up to the tank - due to the heat of the tank itself and the area around it, and not liking the position it puts my legs in. So when I had my Rick Mayer and Bill Mayer seats made I had them make the pocket biased towards the rear. Same thing I told Russel.

I confess to going with the cheap ones from the2wheels . You can use the link kindly provided by escapefjrtist. I did not realize exactly where I was ordering them from (China) but I loved the way they looked in the photos. Of course they look different in person, the grooves machined into the levers on the website were not present on my levers.
I liked them well enough that I will be ordering a set for Dad's '07 but I will either go with the Pazzo or the AVS.
Both the2wheels and the Pazzo levers only have the brake lever listed for 2015 FJR. I interpreted that as "no clutch lever for 2015 yet" ... but now I guess the clutch lever for any year works on the 2015? Little help, please?

Both the2wheels and the Pazzo levers only have the brake lever listed for 2015 FJR. I interpreted that as "no clutch lever for 2015 yet" ... but now I guess the clutch lever for any year works on the 2015? Little help, please?
The 2003 FJR had a difference in one of the levers, after that they are interchangeable from the '04 to the '15. Also, the2wheels levers are sold as a set, at least that is what I found when I followed a link from this forum to that website.

I will add that my OEM clutch lever had what looked like a bearing at the pivot point, the much cheaper lever from the2wheels just pivots metal to metal around the screw.

This ^^^^ has been my main complaint with the RDL as well, exact same observations Greg.

Tried Hudson's [broken in] seat and I felt like I was waaaaay up there and sitting on a basketball. Contrary to wheatie, I like to get the balls of my feet at least close to the ground for those occasions when stoppage is required. Adding a touch more ride-height on the Penske doesn't help in that regard. Pillion on board helps with height, but that doesn't happen all the time.

A few months ago I had the opportunity to check out another RDL on Irish Phil's bike. It was much better and one I could actually live with.

Let us know how it turns out!

--G