What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rode it to work today...
Good for you Joe, I also rode to work today. The riding season has officialy started for me. Take it a step at a time.

Dave
Sheeez, some poeple believe everything they read on the innernet...happy 4-1 every body...
punk.gif

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, today I rode her to work. Empty fuel light was ringing at 2.4 miles and on the way back from work I put some gas in her and rode her home. Me thinks sometimes soon I may needs a new front tyre.

.....amongst other things....like new fork seals and a new rear shock and....and..............and.

Rode to work today also. 23 balmy degrees on the way in. Gosh, I love my hand warmers and handguards.

lost count on the shifts, Can't count that high.
not_i.gif

Dave

TBS last night.

Before

3PlcE2.jpg

After

2cyjcl.jpg

I still need to change the fork oil (waiting for the cap removal tool), lube the steering stem bearings and install my aux tank, but that stuff will have to wait. I need to ride.

Some how, some way, I screwed up my front forks
mda.gif
. Dunno know how...

Using this procedure and the FSM I replaced the my fork oil. 92 mm from the top of the inner tube to the top of the oil, with no spring in it and with the inner tube fully compressed in the outer. I made sure as well as I could that the inner tube remained as fully extended as possible while attaching the inside rod and cap.

So now, on the center stand with the front wheel just off the ground the measurement to a convenient arbitrary point from the ground is 28 1/4", i.e., forks fully extended. I let the front end down and wait a few. The distance measurement from the ground becomes 25 1/4". I'm using 3" of fork travel just sitting on the center stand? WTF?

I used 10w oil from my local Honda dealer.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe, glad to see you on two wheels!

I looked at the new tires in the garage as I went for supplies.

70 Sunday, and I'm tearing up two rooms for paint and wood floors?

@Rbentnail, you should move your post to the technical section do others will find it and hopefully help you!

Today, I had my rear tire changed after only about 5k miles and riding in AR last weekend: I usually get 7.5k miles.

Some how, some way, I screwed up my front forks
mda.gif
. Dunno know how...
Using this procedure and the FSM I replaced the my fork oil. 92 mm from the top of the inner tube to the top of the oil, with no spring in it and with the inner tube fully compressed in the outer. I made sure as well as I could that the inner tube remained as fully extended as possible while attaching the inside rod and cap.

So now, on the center stand with the front wheel just off the ground the measurement to a convenient arbitrary point from the ground is 28 1/4", i.e., forks fully extended. I let the front end down and wait a few. The distance measurement from the ground becomes 25 1/4". I'm using 3" of fork travel just sitting on the center stand? WTF?

I used 10w oil from my local Honda dealer.

Any ideas?
It has to be the springs, not the fork oil. Maybe you left out spacer or something.

I still need to change the fork oil (waiting for the cap removal tool), lube the steering stem bearings and install my aux tank, but that stuff will have to wait. I need to ride.
What "cap removal tool" :uhoh: ? It's a wrench. Or maybe a deep socket. I used the former.
I have the GP 25mm cartridges which uses their cap. It requires an Ohlins-type cap socket.

I wheeled my FJR closer to the garage door. Then it snowed overnight. It will be a few more days before I can get out the driveway. Winter just refuses to let go this year.
cold.gif

Installed the new Zumo 660, replaced the spare 25 amp fuse I lost at last years track day when I disabled the headlight, and FINALLY dug out the connector for the windshield retractor to disable THAT PITA "feature". Mine was buried so deeply in the dash I thought I was going to lose part of my hand getting it out.

There is so much sand on every road here it's like riding over BBs. I took her out for a ride around the block last weekend and it was unnerving.