What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I married a unicorn. 10 hot / .5 crazy and I get to do what I want...mostly.
[cough] Umm, Phil... The reason they call them unicorns is not because they are difficult to find. That would be more like a Pangolin, or a Yangtze Finless Porpoise, or something.

They call them unicorns because they do not exist and never have.
wink.png

You guys convinced me I might be crazy so I took another look at the seat and it definitely works if you put the front tab into the high slot and slide the seat back a little so that the rear peg (?) goes into the low hole. It leaves a bit of a gap at the front by the tank and has a slight wobble but is securely latched so it isn't going anywhere.
I liked the feeling of having the front elevated but decided after a few rides that did not overcome my dislike of the slightly "unstable" feeling side to side.

At least I know I'm not crazy but agree it isn't "supposed" to work that way so you have to decide for yourself if it's worth it or not.
Aha!! I tried again (following your instructions this time) and sure enough, it can be done. But like you said the front of the seat is wobbly and there is a good size gap between the tank and seat.

I guess if you wanted to get rid of the wobbling up front you'd need to fab up some kind of support blocks that would be the same height as the plastic support frame, and position them underneath where the two rubber bumpers are on the bottom of the seat when in the rearward position. It would be right behind the ones that are on the plastic frame when in the forward (low) position.

I can see where that seat position would be good for keeping you from sliding forward, for those with longer legs that like to stay back on the seat. I might have to give that a try!

Last edited by a moderator:
First, my Unicorn and I got out for a ride yesterday on the FJR......she's 3.1 crazy because anything less than that is a DUDE

I married a unicorn. 10 hot / .5 crazy and I get to do what I want...mostly.
Second, that video was of a local detective (Franklin Tennessee) so that just confirms that we southern gentlemen were the first to get it figured out.

Changed the oil & filter today and rode it another 25 feet from one side of the garage to the other. Only 4 shifts. I had to back up twice. That's if Odots counting. We are getting close to launch. Wednesday might be the day. 06:30

Dave

Removed the left side fairing for the first time. Did a coolant flush, replaced all the bleeders with speed bleeders and replaced the hydraulic fluids.

Everything went perfectly until the last screw (right side headlight adjuster knob). Dropped the screw, think it went in the right side fairing. Removed the adjustable air wing piece and the metal clip that the quick release clicks into fell apart (it was already broken).

So now I need to find a $0.05 screw for the headlight adjuster knob and a clip for the quick release bolt.

All in all, I'm happy to get the maintenance items done, but now need a few small replacement parts.

Two days ago, I put Tech-Spec tank grips and saddlebag protectors on.

Yesterday, I replaced the old PR2 front with a new PR2. I only got 18,093 miles out of that one. Mostly freeway.

Can finally see some bare ground in the neighborhood and the driveway is clear again, so time for spring maintenance.

Did the lube service on the relay arm and swing arm bearings. Also did the drive shaft splines and universal joint. Which led to lubing the shifter arm. Also mounted a new rear PR2.

Next up is putting a new T30 GT on front wheel. And lubing the rear brake lever pivot. It may be time for a spark plug change, I'll have to check my logbook.

So happy that riding season is finally upon us after this cruel winter. First time I can remember not riding for this length of time due to weather.

Rode her into work today and set my all-time-low temp ride.....16 deg F.

Wasn't too bad, but there were a few times during the 27 mi. commute I had thought maybe I should get heated gear.

Rode her into work today and set my all-time-low temp ride.....16 deg F.
Wasn't too bad, but there were a few times during the 27 mi. commute I had thought maybe I should get heated gear.
Gotta get heated gear here! Turn those 'acceptable, not too bad rides' into comfortable rides!