What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I removed the windshield, panels, and cowling to lube the studdering power shield guides with lithium grease. I also disabled the auto retract while I was in there. It's all a PITA removing the cowling the first time. It will be much easier the next time around, however, I'm not looking forward to it. I thought I was being extremely careful to organize the fasteners. Lucky me. I have one black screw left after the project and I have no idea where it goes. So if you thought I had a screw loose, you'd be right. I know that thing belongs up under the cowling somewhere. I'll see what rattles on my trip this weekend to NY. ;)

Jeff

I almost forgot about last weeks mods. I installed Road Runner's (Art's) 4 grounding cables, wired up a Garmin Zumo 665 on a ram mount. I added a ram mount cup holder, and purchased four new plugs, four Yamaha oil filters, and an air filter. Also picked up two gallons of Rotella T and a quart of Rislone ZDDP additive. I guess I'll start adding some more Zinc to my oil. Gotta keep up with the Jones. And just for the hell of it, I bought a pair of LD Comfort shorts. Too many good reviews not to have the LD Comfort products. Believe it or not, I also found a Tour Master Flex Jacket on Craigslist for $25. Even though I wasn't in need of another riding jacket, that deal was too good to pass up. The jacket has a rain liner, quilted liner, and the jacket itself has zip out panels that make it a mesh jacket. Sweet! :yahoo:

There are probably a lot of things folks do to their FJRs that may not warrant a whole new topic. This thread is a place to post such things.

I'm kind of surprised there isn't already a thread like this here already, so mods feel free to delete this if I missed it somehow.
Put the Gripster tank grips on ....

Changed the Oil/Filter and installed the WynPro BigFoot kickstand piece.
I just did the same, as I have to park on black asphalt at work. It has worked well. Two days ago when it was 100 my co-worker parked his new VFR1200 on the center stand, which is what I used to do so the side stand did not sink in, and his right leg of the centerstand which was in the sun sunk in and his bike tipped over.... jacked up the bag and plastics pretty good...

Then later that day my FJR and his tipped over bike got hit by a bunch of industrial paint overspray by some contractors who are painting the outside stairs. Luckily they are covering a detail shop to remove it. The whole bike is covered in flat black flakes and it feels almost like orange skin all over. SUCKS, but sounds like a guy that knows what he's doing with claybar can remove it. I wax often so hopefully that helps.

I did some cleaning under the tank...

abqosi.jpg
Shit, I didn't even know dirt could get under there. :blink:

There are probably a lot of things folks do to their FJRs that may not warrant a whole new topic. This thread is a place to post such things.

I'm kind of surprised there isn't already a thread like this here already, so mods feel free to delete this if I missed it somehow.
Put the Gripster tank grips on ....
Those look like something I would like...what material did you go with?

Did the throttle spring unwind, but the spring failed to unwind 1 complete revolution, stopped about a quarter inch from reseating on the tang. So, I put it back to stock setting. The reason for trying it was some numbness experienced in fingers of my right hand during a 1200 mile, 2 day ride. I like to grip the bars with my fingers rather than palms, more like a golf grip rather than a hammer grip. So I'm thinking the numbness is caused more by vibration rather than too tight a grip. The fjr is my first inline 4 bike and the vibration feels more buzzy than I'm used to. I'll try heavy bar ends, and maybe risers. I do the yoda position as much as possible, and consciously relax my arms. For now, I'll just reduce daily mileage and take more frequent breaks. That's not such a bad thing.

Changed the final drive gear oil...easy as pie!

Service manual says to change it every 16,000 miles (or every 24 months) so mine was do. It was definitely old & dark black. Nice to put the new clear stuff in there.

That crap is pretty expensive. A local metric dealer wanted $30.00 for a small bottle of it. But make sure you get the Yamaha FJR1300 specific final drive gear oil. Yamaha makes it specifically for the FJR only.

Cheapest is on EBay for $15.00 a bottle that I can find Part# 9079E-SH001-00

Changed the final drive gear oil...easy as pie!

Service manual says to change it every 16,000 miles (or every 24 months) so mine was do. It was definitely old & dark black. Nice to put the new clear stuff in there.

That crap is pretty expensive. A local metric dealer wanted $30.00 for a small bottle of it. But make sure you get the Yamaha FJR1300 specific final drive gear oil. Yamaha makes it specifically for the FJR only.

Cheapest is on EBay for $15.00 a bottle that I can find Part# 9079E-SH001-00
$23.50 shipped... damn... I think I'll stick with the Walmart synthetic stuff! /oildiscussion

I want this thread closed. It keeps costing me money. I ordered a Gripster Kit today.

Don't you people know I have almost no self control when it comes to farkles.
mad.gif