What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...tried to start it using the hazard warning switch! That's what 15 years of operating an FJ1200 does for ya!

Amazingly that's the first time I've done that in nine months of owning it.

Also noticed the 'Menu' button doesn't flash the headlight anymore?!

All good fun!

P7140621_zpszaz2dudm.jpg

P7140625_zpsfqlww9xr.jpg

Ugh - I have to do this sooner or later due to a tip over. How long did it take you?
Don't know exactly, I did it over about three days, but many interrupts for domestic activities, I'm still having to support my Better Half who's recently had a knee replacement. Probably around six or eight hours, but taken quite slowly. (I do everything quite slowly these days.) Hmm. Only took the surgeon about an hour and a quarter to replace Her knee.
Some (currently un-annotated) pictures I took here (not including removing the side fairings).
You did a great job of documenting the big job, but might I suggest next time, just epoxy it in situ. I did this quite successfully without too much fuss. It will break somewhere else next time (mine has due to an 'incident')..... that casting is very thin and poorly designed. Of course, look at the broken part and assess the job first.........

... Probably around six or eight hours ....
You did a great job of documenting the big job, but might I suggest next time, just epoxy it in situ. I did this quite successfully without too much fuss. It will break somewhere else next time (mine has due to an 'incident')..... that casting is very thin and poorly designed. Of course, look at the broken part and assess the job first.........
I agree up to a point, however I sometimes ride with a group of riders into some difficult road situations that occasionally necessitate help in turning the bike round. The normal help is for one person to stand in front of the bike, grasp the mirrors and push. If the epoxy failed under these circumstances, I can see the fairing plastic cracking, and possibly the bike going down again.
I'd thought of trying to repair it with a piece of angle iron behind the casting, nuts and bolts holding it through the front face, the mirror studs and nuts from the side. I think this would have worked, but in the end She said "Just buy the bit you need". Who am I to argue?

As for it being a poor design, I couldn't agree more. The previous Gen has what is effectively a wire frame that bends under these conditions, and is readily straightened.

[cynical comment]

But the new design is probably cheaper in terms of the bike's manufacturing cost. And Yamaha probably make a nice profit on the replacement frame, their dealers can charge lots of money to change them.

[/cynical comment]

Last edited by a moderator:
This weekend changed the front pads. Before I stored her had a bit of a fork oil leak which I took care of with a seal mate but got some on the pads that I cleaned up but they were a little off so new EBC pads and she's like new or even better than new, Just worried now about rotors being prematurely worn out. Oh well.

Just worried now about rotors being prematurely worn out. Oh well.
Why? I have had EBC HH pads on my 2007 for just about the last 100,000 miles. Rotors are still OK. Pads last about 2/3 or more of the lifetime for the OEM and work just as well. Locally, I can get the EBC for less than half the price of the OEM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just worried now about rotors being prematurely worn out. Oh well.
Why? I have had EBC HH pads on my 2007 for just about the last 100,000 miles. Rotors are still OK. Pads last about 2/3 or more of the lifetime for the OEM and work just as well. Locally, I can get the EBC for less than half the price of the OEM.
^this^ EBC HH pads haven't worn out my rotors either. IMHO that's just another neenerwebs rumour.

July 16th 520pm from Seven Fields PA, to Locust Grove, VA, return trip Sunday after the Open was over 1:45 to 8:00ish after stopping to see parents on the way home as well.. 640miles round trip.. Hit a 10 minute soaker at Deep Creek MD.. Thank You AeroStich!

wheatonFJR posted: Rode the Icefields Parkway with wifey. Watched other people get pulled over for speeding.
Did you leave out this part? "... while we were also pulled over for speeding."
coolsmiley02.gif

Icefields Parkway. Sounds like just the place to escape 98-degree heat.

Well that's good to know. After I ordered the pads I read some posts about premature rotor wear but I'm loving the new pads. It just gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling when the old girl is runnin they way she should.
smile.png