What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not researched it through, but think I remember someone saying about reversing the bolt but I do not see how that is going to work and have my doubts, at least with the stock bolt length.
The reversing of the bolt is referring to one of the center stand bolts which ends up hitting the exhaust.
Yes, that. One of the bolts on the right side of the centerstand can't be removed without springing the right side exhaust pipe out of the way.

But also, folks will reverse the arm bolt that goes through the bottom casting. In the normal position it can not be extracted fully with the exhaust header still on the engine, and you can't spring the pipe enough to get it out either. You either have to cut it or remove the header. Bringing the bolt in from the left side is supposed to give you more room.

Using LAF's own picture (nice shot) the bolt to reverse is the one indicated below

RelayArmBolttoreverse.jpg

No need to cut anything, the bolt CAN be removed with the exhaust in place, I've done it on all 3 of my FJRs you have just got to be brave when it comes to "springing" the exhaust out of the way (works on gen 1 and 2 bikes)

fjrphotosrebuild023.jpg

fjrphotosrebuild024.jpg

fjrphotosrebuild027.jpg
I knew it had been done that way by many others, but chose to go another way. Great photos on showing how that is done.

Started 16,000 mile service at 16,060 miles. Changed the oil, oil filter,diff fluid, and blew out the air filter last night. Plan on doing the relay thing this weekend or some weekend soon when it cools off. Good on all of these picture. Thanks guys.

Showed my son (9) how to change the oil on a bike and then rode it to work, next up this weekend is the rear diff fluid.

Please give us a follow up report of how these work out for you, m'kay? :thumbsup:
Will do. Heading to Johnson City, Tn for the weekend so the gps will actually get some use.
Did the Johnson City, TN thing last weekend, about 680 miles at 50+ mpg. Had great weather and it was good to see old friends again. Used the gps with the newly installed NuShield anti-glare screen. I like it, it increases view-ability about 50% in direct sunlight.

Please give us a follow up report of how these work out for you, m'kay? :thumbsup:
Will do. Heading to Johnson City, Tn for the weekend so the gps will actually get some use.
Did the Johnson City, TN thing last weekend, about 680 miles at 50+ mpg. Had great weather and it was good to see old friends again. Used the gps with the newly installed NuShield anti-glare screen. I like it, it increases view-ability about 50% in direct sunlight.
What NuShield did you use, I have a Garmin 660.

Thanks for any help

Rode a little with a former coworker, traveled 200 miles and went absolutely nowhere. And I ordered https://www.nushield.com/, supposedly the best anti-glare screen for my gps. The kit comes with 2 so maybe I'll try it on my cell phone too.

Excellent!! I'll definitely have to try some.

Thanks for any help
See quote at top (it was back several pages of posts)

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed the N-Line dash shelf, but need to go find a well nut for the center arm and a couple more rubber washers to clean things up.
On your own for the washers, but I sent you a well nut :D

If you have a picture, please post, been debating a shelf for a long time. Still resisting!

Thanks for any help
See quote at top (it was back several pages of posts)
I'm not seeing it. I thought bent nail's OP was post 517 (quoted above). Looks like there is Antiglare, Dayvue, or Triple A "finish" options. I guess you got the "anti-glare"--it is confusing since all three have anti glare properties.

I just ordered the DayVu as it seems to be the right application for that.
Alright I admit it, I am stupid. I want to order this stuff so Fred W what did you order. I see they have cut your own. Is there one for a Garmin 660? If not what size did you order?

TIA

I just ordered the DayVu as it seems to be the right application for that.
Alright I admit it, I am stupid. I want to order this stuff so Fred W what did you order. I see they have cut your own. Is there one for a Garmin 660? If not what size did you order?

TIA
I used the DayView. Is your gps a Garmin Nuvi 660? If so, scroll down at the NuShield site to the nuvi section, your device may be listed there. If it is there will be no cutting needed.

Im about to re-do all the electrical for the accesories that were on my bike (properly), replace the heated grip elements, put in a G2 cam, add a fuzeblock fz-1 and wire harness, change the piaa light switch to a waterproof unit, install my garmin zumo 665 and xm antenna, and do a clutch soak....that should keep me busy this weekend.

What did I do to my FJR today?

Left it at home and rode the ZRX....with the rainsuit sitting in the left sidebag on the Feej. Guess who just got home, freezin' cold and soakin' wet???

Today I changed the oil and diff fluid. Both looked really good. Which always makes me happy.

I put new iridium plugs and removed the PAIR system and installed the cool "EOM 2011" block-off plates I bought from a forum member a while back. Those reed valves were filthy.

She idles great and runs like crazy. I love this stupid bike.

Getting ready for a longer trip, so gave it the COMPLETE service

1) New AK-20 Traxxion front forks 2) Tapered steering stem bearings 3) Perform ignition switch recall 4) New tires front and rear 5) Change oil 5) Change rear drive gear oil 6) Lube driveshaft spline ( first time and it needed it)

Of course this took a couple of weekends. But she is all good and ready to ride!

One coat of polish two coats of wax. I also used s100 engine cleaner on the plastic part of the panniers, it totally restored them and turned them back to dark black again. It even covered up minor scratches in the plastic

Last edited by a moderator: