What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swapped in a set of half-used tires for the mostly used up ones that were on the bike since NAFO. Need some rubber for NERDS. I'll go get the state inspection done this afternoon. I'll be out of town for a week and the bike needs to be ready for NERDS when I get back. :yahoo:

I pretended it was a truck and hit up some junk yards in search of Camaro parts.

IMAG0339.jpg

I washed 3k miles worth of grime and bugs off, did a carnauba wax trial run, then changed oil* and filter** and installed the Wynpro foot extender.

* Mobil Super Synthetic 10w30, best deal I could find at the local car parts place

** OEM

Also spilled oil everywhere getting used to the process nuances for the FJR :unsure:

* Mobil Super Synthetic 10w30, best deal I could find at the local car parts place
Without turning this into an oil thread, best be careful when selecting automotive oils that there is no "Energy Conserving" in the ratings (like the one below).

220px-Energyconserving.JPG

That generally means that the oil has friction reducing additives that are not compatible with a wet clutch, and may cause slippage.

The Calsci web site has a pretty good treatise on oils, and how to choose one for a motorcycle. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without turning this into an oil thread, best be careful when selecting automotive oils that there is no "Energy Conserving" in the ratings (like the one below).

That generally means that the oil has friction reducing additives that are not compatible with a wet clutch, and may cause slippage.

The Calsci web site has a pretty good treatise on oils, and how to choose one for a motorcycle. YMMV.
Thanks Fred. That was a detail that I missed.

Too true, Fred....but you'll never need a "clutch soak." :lol:

The way I see it, if any two plates are stuck together (won't slip), then the clutch won't operate at all.
You know, I've never really thought about it before. That is a totally valid point. The friction drive plates are interleaved with the steel driven plates. None of them could be stuck together or else you'd never disengage the clutch. Brilliant!

Which raises the question: What is all of this clutch soaking business about then?

Maybe the plates are just dry, so their friction is too much? :unsure:

The way I see it, if any two plates are stuck together (won't slip), then the clutch won't operate at all.
You know, I've never really thought about it before. That is a totally valid point. The friction drive plates are interleaved with the steel driven plates. None of them could be stuck together or else you'd never disengage the clutch. Brilliant!

Which raises the question: What is all of this clutch soaking business about then?

Or maybe we're just a bunch of whining bitches who are making stuff up to fix. Me included, but I'd swear my bike shifts better since I did the soak. Probably placebo effect...

Maybe some plates are a bit sticky for whatever reason, or some of the plates are slightly warped. You could try pulling in the clutch lever and revving the engine a bit to try to get some oil in between the plates, or run some thin auto oil for a short time. I have never tried either of those ideas. My '08 slams into first gear but doesn't lurch forward. If I operate the clutch a few times before putting it in first it will slip smoothly into gear (at least it does when cold, never tried hot).

Installed my Second Big Foot. One thing I found is the bottom of the stiletto Yamaha calls a kick stand is rounded on the bottom. I took a file to it a bit and got fresh metal showing, packed the big foot with RTV and screwed it on with blue lock tite. I had worn the first one out and had a screw showing on the bottom. Love these things. Block off plates are very nice too!

I also went after my Zumo 660 wiring. For those who do not know the mount you can buy has a 6 foot pig tail on it with the Traffic connection, and then a mike, and audio out, located at various lengths of the wiring harness. I wanted the audio out connection to plug into my Mix It Amp. I do not use the voice routing commands from Garmin on Bluetooth as it wants to hog the ADP2 channel on the Sena. So I wanted to integrate into the Mix It so it just cuts in on a hard wire into the Mix It. Off that Mix It hangs a Bluetooth dongle that I use my Ipod to Sena on the ADP2 channel. Now direction just interrupts my Ipod without the Bluetooth Channel involved.

Of course since I run a Twisted Throttle electrified tank bag I had to drill a hole in it and insert a 1/8" connector to get to the Mix It inside. It came out really well I used a solid female to female connector, drilled a undersized hole in the bag, pushed the connector through and did both sides with vinyl tape glue for tents and camping use, and it finished better than I could have hoped.

Of course I messed up all the plastic heat tube I had everything in so had to put new on and re tape.

Just doing things to get ready for my trip to CO the end of the month and it was on my list.

Changed oil and filter , spilled old oil on new shop floor (concrete) cleaned up oil ,checked tires , took a ride around the lake..

Installed K&N air filter. Installed speedodrd, great farkle! My speedo is right where I want it now!

Did my 1st tb sync, I used Fred W's excellent "unauthorized" method.

Sent the seat off to Russell for my new Day-Long set! I'm contemplating whether to take the bike over to get a tire put on to take advantage of the downtime. I'd have to ride it 6 miles without a seat, but I think that I could make a pillow work for that short a drive. Hopefully I won't see anyone I know if I try it.