What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I found out my muffler gaskets from powersports are BO with an expected ship date of 9/14. I have a pair of holeshots on the fedex truck as I type. This is gonna piss me off.

Yearly maintenance on the big blue girl this morning.

1. Greased all pivot points. Like mcatrophy, I swapped the clevis pin on the rear brake (thanks for the tip). FYI - my clutch handle bushing was dry and showing some signs of wear. Maybe twice a year for that one.

2. Changed rear end fluid. Holy crap that Yamaha stuff is expensive. Spare it - I'm not switching and I'm done bitchin.

3. Blew out the air filter and cleaned out the box. Replacement filter on order for next oil change.

4. Flushed out both brakes and clutch with fresh DOT4

5. Removed brake calipers and inspected (plenty pads left all around). Greased the caliper pins.

6. Changed engine coolant with Honda 50/50 (blue bottle). COME ON YAMAHA!!!! You could have made it much easier to re-fill the coolant!!!! Nothing like removing the plastics. UGGGGHHHHH!!!

7. Lubricated the throttle cables and adjusted them a tad tighter. Also lubed the throttle tube.

8. Changed the engine oil (Rotella T 15W40 - good stuff).

Tires are still good, so I'll hold off on greasing the axles and drive shaft until the next shoe change. Also, I need to change my spark plugs but I'll wait until the valve clearance check (about 3K more miles)

I've owned the FJR for a year now and put 18,000 miles on it. Not too shabby for a weekender/tourer rider.

She's all ready for the next big adventure at the end of this month. Stay tuned....

Last edited by a moderator:
Rode her again for the first time in almost 3 months since tearing my achilles. It was nice to knock the dust off of her!

I finally took her for a good test ride after installing the Wilbers shock. Took a little to get it dialed in, but holy shit. I hit some of those turns scary fast. I pushed her farther than I have before, just because I could. I'm liking the new ride.

I fueled her up on the way home in anticipation of leaving for Oregon on Wednesday morning. Woo freaking Hoo!

I finally took her for a good test ride after installing the Wilbers shock. Took a little to get it dialed in, but holy shit. I hit some of those turns scary fast. I pushed her farther than I have before, just because I could. I'm liking the new ride.

I fueled her up on the way home in anticipation of leaving for Oregon on Wednesday morning. Woo freaking Hoo!

You best get to kingman on time Alice.. The train ain't waiting around for the likes of you.. :p

Put on a new PR2 rear tire after thrashing a MetzelerM3. I'm interested in seeing how it compares to the M3 and the Z6 that I've had on previously.

While the wheel was off I put a fresh coat of Honda moly60 on the drive splines.

Went out for an 80 mile shake down run, and all is well with Francisco.

Biknflyfisher

Took my rear wheel to get a new BT023GT fitted. The previous one had done about 5100 miles, had probably another 1000 left before the wear bars, but I'm going away for 1500/2000 miles in a week or so, don't want to risk being treadless.

Refitted the wheel, had to check the balance. I'm pretty sure it's good up to at least 110
rolleyes.gif

Got back, checked the wheel was still on (or at least all the fixings were tight). Happened to touch the rear brake disc, it was moderately warm. So I lubricated the rear brake pedal just in case.

Hint: I put the clevis pin in from the back. This will make removing the cotter pin so much easier next time.

(Click on image for larger view)

Over on THIS side of the pond, we voted and the decision was almost unanimous:

We are sick to death of your common sense, logic, excellent photos and priceless wisdom when it comes to all-things-FJR. This sh*t has GOT to stop!!!

Besides, some anally-fixated owner will come along and tell us how dangerous it is putting the cotter-pin on the outside. Might hang up on a honey-badger, or something!

Replaced my broken right side mirror, lubed the throttle grip. Put some grip puppies and heavy bar ends on my son's CBR 1000 RR. :dribble:

Oh yeah, went over the suspension settings again. :rolleyes:

Took my rear wheel to get a new BT023GT fitted. The previous one had done about 5100 miles, had probably another 1000 left before the wear bars, but I'm going away for 1500/2000 miles in a week or so, don't want to risk being treadless.

Refitted the wheel, had to check the balance. I'm pretty sure it's good up to at least 110
rolleyes.gif

Got back, checked the wheel was still on (or at least all the fixings were tight). Happened to touch the rear brake disc, it was moderately warm. So I lubricated the rear brake pedal just in case.

Hint: I put the clevis pin in from the back. This will make removing the cotter pin so much easier next time.

We are sick to death of your common sense, logic, excellent photos and priceless wisdom when it comes to all-things-FJR. This sh*t has GOT to stop!!!

Besides, some anally-fixated owner will come along and tell us how dangerous it is putting the cotter-pin on the outside. Might hang up on a honey-badger, or something!
It doesn't matter "cuz Honey Badger don't give a ****!"

0_DSCF5202.JPG

"almost " isn't good enough. It's like "I almost made it round the corner".

I shall continue unabashed
tongue.gif

Anyway, you'll have a guaranteed gap from me next week, touring in Scotland again
laugh.gif
. Weather currently deteriorating in preparation
ohmy.gif

tongue.gif

Anyway, you'll have a guaranteed gap from me next week, touring in Scotland again
laugh.gif
ohmy.gif
Ride Safe, my limey friend! :D

tongue.gif

laugh.gif
ohmy.gif
Hope too. And it won't be honey-badgers I have to be wary of, it's all those wild haggis running around
rolleyes.gif

tongue.gif

laugh.gif
ohmy.gif
Hope too. And it won't be honey-badgers I have to be wary of, it's all those wild haggis running around
rolleyes.gif
The Scottish midges are breeding like mad and licking their lips in anticipation of fresh blood :D

The Scottish midges are breeding like mad and licking their lips in anticipation of fresh blood :D
Ah, you've been there, then?

At least the FJR is capable of outrunning a Scottish midge. Just.

First time I went motorcycle touring in Scotland, I took this picture of the Victoria Falls:

Picture taken from a viewing platform. I captioned it "View of the Victoria Falls from its midge feeding station".

Looking back at where the bikes were parked:

Caption: "Midge food transporters, parked."

(Mine was the red Trophy. It's also when I "met" FJRs for the first time.)