What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had a good AMA Roadside Assistance experience also, but with my truck. The power steering pump crapped out last week, making the big crew cab, dually pickup undriveable. I finished installing the pump sunday and was running errands when I stopped for fuel and it wouldn't start again. ARGHH! Took about an hour, but the tow truck showed up and dropped the truck, wife and I at the house. Now I just need time to troubleshoot, but I suspect the Idle Air Control valve is hanging up (common issue with my truck).

To keep at least partially on topic, I rode my FJR while the truck was/is broke but that's not really new because I ride every day anyway. :)

I just had a good AMA Roadside Assistance experience also, but with my truck. The power steering pump crapped out last week, making the big crew cab, dually pickup undriveable. I finished installing the pump sunday and was running errands when I stopped for fuel and it wouldn't start again. ARGHH! Took about an hour, but the tow truck showed up and dropped the truck, wife and I at the house. Now I just need time to troubleshoot, but I suspect the Idle Air Control valve is hanging up (common issue with my truck).
To keep at least partially on topic, I rode my FJR while the truck was/is broke but that's not really new because I ride every day anyway.
smile.png
This was the first time I ever used the AMA Roadside Assistance. They ended up paying the tow company about $380. I paid $322 but I'll get $100 back from Progressive. All in all not bad: $222 out of pocket for a 70-ish mile tow.

Also to stay at least partially on topic, it took 3 tries but I finally figured out how to get a flat rear car tire up onto 3 stacked 2x4s to get the wheel off. Whew! Like riding uphill thru a foot of loose sand, impossible to push even on concrete.

Well finally took the plunge and undertook changing the fork oil. Glad i did too. Levels were 30 to 40 mm low in each fork and what came out could barely pass as fork oil. Filled and pumped a few times with ATF until it ran out mostly red. Big improvement over the black grey stuff that came out first.

Flushed and pumped a few more times with brake clean and now hanging to let the rest of the dregs drip out. Can't wait to get it back together and see the improvement. No wonder the front dive seemed excessive....

Well finally took the plunge and undertook changing the fork oil. Glad i did too. Levels were 30 to 40 mm low in each fork and what came out could barely pass as fork oil. Filled and pumped a few times with ATF until it ran out mostly red. Big improvement over the black grey stuff that came out first.
Flushed and pumped a few more times with brake clean and now hanging to let the rest of the dregs drip out. Can't wait to get it back together and see the improvement. No wonder the front dive seemed excessive....
What did you decide to put back in? I went with Honda's Suspension Fluid, SS-8 IIRC, but it's been a long time.

Today I removed the totally flat car tire and installed a spare rim that still has some usable PR2 on it. Glad I already have a new PP3 in the shop to try.

Put on a new PR4GT up front and changed the oil. Getting ready for my Sept crosscountry adventure. I'll mount the new PR4 rear a couple days before I leave.

Why are Michelins so much easier to mount than Bridgestones?

Put on a new PR4GT up front and changed the oil. Getting ready for my Sept crosscountry adventure. I'll mount the new PR4 rear a couple days before I leave.

I know what you mean. Sometimes the Bridgestones are a major PITA. The last time, I left the tire (T-30 EVO) sitting on hot asphalt in direct sunlight for an hour or so - flipping a couple of times while I got the wheel off and the old rubber removed. It almost fell onto the rim afterward. Makes a HUGE difference having the tire fairly hot. I'm tempted to go out and buy a set of track-type tire warmers just for changing tires on a cool or cloudy day! (Looks like you can get a set for $150 or so...)

What did you decide to put back in? I went with Honda's Suspension Fluid, SS-8 IIRC, but it's been a long time.

Today I removed the totally flat car tire and installed a spare rim that still has some usable PR2 on it. Glad I already have a new PP3 in the shop to try.
I stopped by the dealer and picked up some Yamalube S1. After so much reading about fork oil i decided for now to just go with stock stuff. May get more adventurous next time. Now to start the suspension tuning process. Was a little dissapointed in that front end dive is still more than i would have expected, but much better than before. I've not had a chance to properly road test it yet, will have to wait until next week sadly..
upset.gif

FJReady posted: ..... Why are Michelins so much easier to mount than Bridgestones?
Because Michelin knows you'll be changing them out after only 4,000 miles.

Jealous of your trip. Photos, please!

I know what you mean. Sometimes the Bridgestones are a major PITA. The last time, I left the tire (T-30 EVO) sitting on hot asphalt in direct sunlight for an hour or so - flipping a couple of times while I got the wheel off and the old rubber removed. It almost fell onto the rim afterward. Makes a HUGE difference having the tire fairly hot. I'm tempted to go out and buy a set of track-type tire warmers just for changing tires on a cool or cloudy day! (Looks like you can get a set for $150 or so...)
My tire warmer is as cheap as a hair dryer. Actually the rest of my family would call it a hair dryer. Just put it inside the tire and turn on low or high. Works great and cheap.

Passed by it to ride Miss Julie's BMW 650 GS to Blairsville for her LDMRMRX (Labor Day Mostly Retired Motorcycle Riding Xtravagana) next weekend. She rides up in her SUV with dogs and supplies. Should be eight peeps on seven bikes* this year.

Kelly and I will be up there Sat and Sun representing the still-employed; also known as "The Ones Who Are Funding Your Social Security, bitches.")

*No, we don't break into two groups. Traveling at a 0.5 to 0.8 Hooterville pace, we're still faster than most Labor Day traffic in the GA/NC/TN mountains.

Last edited by a moderator: