What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey petey I have a few LED's left over from tech day, thanks to Blind Squirrels generosity
smile.png

Blue, green and white.. If your interested let me know, probably cost 50 cents to ship 'em to ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you mind sending it to me so I can finish it off for you???
299378_10152137270170005_501725485_n.jpg
Hehe.. I remember this, in fact, I think is the pic I took. He rode 50 miles back to the hotel with his wife on the back with the tire like that.

This boy am be CRAZY.

Had a day of giving me a long weekend & no excuses but to start getting the old girl put back together
Put the tank on & she fired up first time after sitting the for 6 weeks waiting to get her new paint job.

Ghanged the oil & coolant.

The old back gave way so the cowlings will go on tommorow & all pgoing ermiting well we will ride

I do have a question being new to the FJR , how long or a what indicated temppreture level do the fans come

on.

I have only heard them after a 10k ride & they do not stay on for long, your knowledge would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

from

Downunder
In my second season I thought the fans were having a problem. I thought in the previous season they were coming on at about 4 bars. After checking everything simple (fuses etc.) I couldn't find any problem. I began calling dealers to see if I could get a quick check but all were very busy and would not accommodate me until I found one who actually helped me over the phone. Seems the tech there also had an FJR and told me the running temp was upwards of 200* F and asked if I was waiting long enough for the fans to come on. I told him I would try it and get back to him before coming in for service. I started her up and waited what seemed like forever. Finally at about 6 or 7 bar the fans came on. Problem solved. Just my impatience and faulty memory.
uhoh.gif
That dealer is also now where I go for any thing I'm not doing myself even though there are others closer.
punk.gif
Cheers for that i will give it a go & see what happens and guage it from there worst case senario ill take so eggs & bacon with me if i need to pull over to cool her down after all the fjr has its own cooktop lol.

Cheers for the reply

Had a day of giving me a long weekend & no excuses but to start getting the old girl put back together
Put the tank on & she fired up first time after sitting the for 6 weeks waiting to get her new paint job.

Ghanged the oil & coolant.

The old back gave way so the cowlings will go on tommorow & all pgoing ermiting well we will ride

I do have a question being new to the FJR , how long or a what indicated temppreture level do the fans come

on.

I have only heard them after a 10k ride & they do not stay on for long, your knowledge would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

from

Downunder
In my second season I thought the fans were having a problem. I thought in the previous season they were coming on at about 4 bars. After checking everything simple (fuses etc.) I couldn't find any problem. I began calling dealers to see if I could get a quick check but all were very busy and would not accommodate me until I found one who actually helped me over the phone. Seems the tech there also had an FJR and told me the running temp was upwards of 200* F and asked if I was waiting long enough for the fans to come on. I told him I would try it and get back to him before coming in for service. I started her up and waited what seemed like forever. Finally at about 6 or 7 bar the fans came on. Problem solved. Just my impatience and faulty memory.
uhoh.gif
That dealer is also now where I go for any thing I'm not doing myself even though there are others closer.
punk.gif
Cheers for that i will give it a go & see what happens and guage it from there worst case senario ill take so eggs & bacon with me if i need to pull over to cool her down after all the fjr has its own cooktop lol.

Cheers for the reply
Well i did what you suggested & let it run for around 25 min the temp indicator was on six bars and the fans kicked in , they only stayed on for a couple on minutes then i shut her down.

Thank you for the advise you have saved me time & any hartache

cheers

Downunder

I was able to ride to work the last couple of days. Mid 20's ish. We don't have a turnstile and I don't smoke. But I did manage to leave the heated seat on and kill the dam battery. Some day I will get my fuse block setup so this doesn't happen any more. Got a jump from a work buddy and off we went. Its was great to be on two wheels again.

Dave

Installed New rear Taillight. Started to install all the cowlings from the back onwards

The smugler box so many bolts & srews. anyway should finish it up tommorow all going to plan

Hey petey I have a few LED's left over from tech day, thanks to Blind Squirrels generosity
smile.png
Blue, green and white.. If your interested let me know, probably cost 50 cents to ship 'em to ya.
Thanks Bust, but I'm not ready/willing to open up the dash....I'm sure it's PITA job...
not_i.gif

Petey,

You already have LEDs in your dash panel. Only 1st gens came with incandescent bulbs.

That's why so many 1st gens get the LED upgrade, because a couple of the backlight bulbs burn out and it's a royal PITA to get in there at them, so why not make it so they won't burn out again?

I took Jackie-O to work on my off day to make some extra monies for my smoking and drinking habit. Had a cup of coffee and a couple of smokes on her before I went in through the turnstile for the big money.

I found a small water-resistant zippered cordura pouch that is about the perfect size to hide a radar detector inside. The bag was originally made to contain multimeter test leads, and I happened to notice it in the pile of clutter that I call my office the other day. The material is PVC coated on the inside, so it should help in a light drizzle, but of course the zipper is not watertight.

Today I mounted a RAM Hot Plate (magnetic quick mount), and re-routed all of the wires needed to perch the RD on the top of my tank bag. I figured that in the event of heavy rain I'd be putting the rain cover over the tank bag, so the RD will be covered too. It will also make it super quick and simple to take the whole shebang off at night in one piece at the hotel when traveling.

Obviously, I will not get laser alerts, but previously I was running the RD in the glovebox, so I'm used to that. Besides, when the laser alert goes off it's just a signal to pull over and accept your ticket anyway.
wink.png

Here's the obligatory pictures to prove its existence:

This is the zippered pouch mounted on top of my Bags Connection Daypak 2 tank bag. The lid of the bag is semi-hard and supports the weight of the detector easily. You can also see the remote display and mute button over on my clutch reservoir. I'll probably also add a safety strap running under the Hot Plate and over over the top of the pouch, as I know that the RD will come off the magnetic mount under certain circumstances if used alone (like hitting potholes or deer)

100_3864.jpg

The RD unit just drops into the pouch, connect the cables and zip it up!

100_3865.jpg

We'll see how this works out in the long run.

My WynPro cover plates arrived, so I was able to put my water piping back, clean and waterproof any connections I could get at and fire the old girl up.

No matter how long I let it run on my lift, the coolant temperature wouldn't go over two bars, so I'm guessing the thermostat didn't open (also, the fluid level at the rad cap didn't drop). Will have to check again before riding.

After all the Gen1 CCT failure talk, despite checking it while doing my valve check, I was listening carefully for any rattles - sounds smooth
smile.png

https://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h178/kamloopsal/Misc%20stuff/?action=view&current=008.mp4

Al.

More or less done, maybe change the color
smile.png

DSCN0304_zpsd8ed075d.jpg

DSCN0303_zps2e416e8a.jpg

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I LOVE that thing. If that was what a Corbin Smuggler was, I'd have probably reached into my extra tight purse strings and coughed up the 8 benjis to get one.

You OTOH have done very well with making your own, in a superior design, and at a cost I'm sure you like better than Corbin's.

I already posted on your ADV thread (I'm 1 Wheel Drive there). So if you decide to farm these out to someone and make some more, let us all know. I'd be in for one at anything equal or less than the cost of the Corbin one. I think yours is better. Way better.

:thumbsup:

Swapped out the subframe today. Everything lined up as God intended. Sorry, no pics...I want to forget this one.

Today i completed the fitting of the rear Smugler

I will upload pics soon

Changed out the brake fluid. Front and rear were as expected. Fluid was a dark but looked pretty normal. Clutch was a different story. The fluid was very dark, and the reservoir had a lot of dirt in the bottom of it. I sucked all the fluid out of the reservoir and cleaned up the dirt with a dry rag.

I did not introduce any air into the system, but I swear I heard air escape while bleeding the clutch. It may have had some in there since day one.

DSC00001_zpsa37967a1.jpg