What's the Weather like where YOU are today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Light snow on the ground this morning under sunny skies. Temperatures are projected to soar back to 60 by Sunday.
Bungie, does the lake-effect snow stop when the water freezes, or is there still open water on the Great Lakes?
Well we're not often subject to lake effect snow, but it usually stops when the lakes ice over. If they ice over. This year, no.
I know you're anxious for Spring, so I have a skunk I can lend to you while you wait.

4d1c91a7d6cfa5b0c9184210608a4474_1.jpg

Holy Cow! Check out our forecast....7 inches by Sunday evening with more rain for at least another week after that. Long range forecast has rain through the 16th.

https://www.wunderground.com/us/ca/grass-valley

No drought this year, California is looking real green these days. Starting to feel like the March miracle we had in 1991

This would be a good weekend to go up Hwy 70 (Feather River canyon) to see all the waterfalls in action.

Last edited by a moderator:
We went up the Feather river canyon on the way home from Santa Cruz last year and it was just a trickle. It's going to be running now.

Good to read this - seems you guys are due for a wet Spring.
Except for February we have had a good wet winter so far, this will be icing on the cake. Looks like the wet weather will be mostly Northern Ca and because I can't do my work in the rain I'm starting to think it's time to bug out and ride south next week
evil.gif

We've got a whole series of storms stacked up too Bug. Seems like they're on an every other day cycle, so the roads aren't cleaning up and staying a mess. Add some wind to the mix and there's lots of junk to watch for.

Can't work, what better excuse do you need to ride?!?

--G

Just saw this...From Oct. 1st to March 1st, Seattle received more than three feet of rain. May I borrow your umbrella, mine's worn out.

Got s short ride in this morning, just down to VA from Mercer Island and back but it sure felt good. Was really tempted to run out to North Benc but had stuff to do.

Holy Cow! Check out our forecast....7 inches by Sunday evening with more rain for at least another week after that. Long range forecast has rain through the 16th.
https://www.wunderground.com/us/ca/grass-valley

No drought this year, California is looking real green these days. Starting to feel like the March miracle we had in 1991

This would be a good weekend to go up Hwy 70 (Feather River canyon) to see all the waterfalls in action.
Doug, what are the snow elevations? This could be drought relief, or 1998 all over again for valley flooding.

Good to read this - seems you guys are due for a wet Spring.
Maybe, maybe not. 7-inches of rain in 3-days is a frick'in fire hose in the mountains with everything, including snowmelt heading west.

Never mind...looked it up myself. Batten down the hatches. This explains why we are looking for weather here in the East to soar into the 60s and 70s. Looks pretty juicy for you, but only 3-feet on the crest is not too impressive, and reflects a warmer storm. You can be glad this is not the weekend you're going to Death Valley.

The impressive portion of the storm will push into the region late Saturday into Sunday morning as a robust atmospheric river combines with the dynamic cold front to bring heavy precipitation to the Sierra and western Nevada. Snow levels will be above 8000 feet ahead of the cold front, but will fall below pass level and to all valley floors by early Sunday morning. Here are the time frames for rain to turn into snow with the cold frontal passage:
. Donner Pass and Echo Summit: 10PM to 1AM Saturday night
. Lake Tahoe Level: 1AM to 4AM Sunday morning
. Highway 395/203 interchange in Mono county: 1AM to 4AM Sunday morning.
Storm total snow amounts for the Sierra above 7000 feet will be 1 to 3 feet, with some localized higher amounts along the Sierra Crest. Between 6000-7000 feet, several inches are expected Saturday night, with another several inches likely Sunday night. Snow totals will end up around 8-16 inches between 6000-7000 foot elevation (including Lake Tahoe level).

Tom, it's dumping tonight. Kinda rain that will help fill Shasta, Oroville and make Folsom real nervous but they did add a new spillway at Folsom dam.

Hardly a drop is in the forecast for Southern Ca., humm...must be why it's a desert down there ;)

It's supposed to get to +9C (48F) and stay above freezing all week. I think winter has said feck it.

and I`m good with that.

Sunny and dry, about 20 degrees this a.m. Yesterday, windy, cold and some rain so did a road-trip in wife's new RAV; she let me drive! Friday-Saturday? Woohoo! Got into the mid fifties both days so we did an over-nighter on the FJR and logged 530 miles up the Swan Valley, down the east shore of Flathead Lake, through the Mission Valley, up the Bitterroot Valley to Lost Trail, then Chief Joseph passes, down the Big Hole Valley and into the barn. Still a lot of snow piled at Lost Trail/Chief Joseph so a lot of melt and sand. Took that part cool, but ran a steady 90-95 out in the Big Hole boonies; no traffic, no law.

It's winter again. We got about an inch of white shit last night. Weather forecast is for rain the rest of the week with the freezing level at 3000 feet. I live at 4200 feet. I'm still gonna strangle that groundhog.
smile.png