What's the Weather like where YOU are today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just enough of a Skiff last night to "Cover up the Evidence"
rolleyes.gif
Life is good!

rain is good, but snow would be better! How are the hillsides holding up in Grass Valley Mr. Bugnatr? We've got some retention ponds near our house down here on the flatlands of Pleasanton and they're about ready to overflow, and our forecast is for another couple days of solid rain.

From WeatherWest: https://weatherwest.com/archives/5152

In the Sierra Nevada, a blizzard of epic proportions is currently unfolding. In contrast to the Sunday storm, snow levels are now below well below pass level in most places. Multiple feet of snow have already fallen at the highest elevations, at it’s likely that areas as low as Lake Tahoe could see 5+ feet (!) of snowfall, with much more than that up at 8000+ feet. Very strong winds are also occurring. Travel across the Sierra Nevada range will be dangerous (and essentially impossible) over the next 24 hours. Snowfall of this magnitude hasn’t been seen in years in most populated parts of the Sierra Nevada, which may elevate impacts even further.
Southern CA will get rain but no significant problems are expected. In the north, these storms can be amazing, and even ski areas will be unlikely able to operate for several days. Backcountry conditions are going to be extremely hazardous, and I'm sure we will hear of some ill-advised people getting killed trying to ski or snowmobile in unstable conditions. I would expect most passes to be closed soon.

From WeatherWest: https://weatherwest.com/archives/5152
In the Sierra Nevada, a blizzard of epic proportions is currently unfolding. In contrast to the Sunday storm, snow levels are now below well below pass level in most places. Multiple feet of snow have already fallen at the highest elevations, at it’s likely that areas as low as Lake Tahoe could see 5+ feet (!) of snowfall, with much more than that up at 8000+ feet. Very strong winds are also occurring. Travel across the Sierra Nevada range will be dangerous (and essentially impossible) over the next 24 hours. Snowfall of this magnitude hasn’t been seen in years in most populated parts of the Sierra Nevada, which may elevate impacts even further.
Southern CA will get rain but no significant problems are expected. In the north, these storms can be amazing, and even ski areas will be unlikely able to operate for several days. Backcountry conditions are going to be extremely hazardous, and I'm sure we will hear of some ill-advised people getting killed trying to ski or snowmobile in unstable conditions. I would expect most passes to be closed soon.
Or ride KTM's ...
punk.gif

How's Lake Meade doing?

Warmed up and the roads are pretty much clear here, finally. It was REALLY localized - my ex's place just a few miles away got no snow at all.

bugnatr probably failed to put enough "rains" in his string to describe local conditions, but yeah, it's starting to get downright tedious. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Doug's out in this monsoon on the KTM. That boy's just not right! :rolleyes:

It's been a story of wildly fluctuating snow levels with serious precipitation amounts. Fortunately, that came back down to 6000' (headed for 4000'), probably just in time to spare a lot of lowland areas from levee breaches, disastrous flooding, etc. Jury still out on how bad that might get as this system continues to kick our asses. Thankfully, I'm on a hill with good drainage and away from swollen watercourses.

After a couple days of rain on snow, in the last day or two, it is DUMPING snow in the Tahoe area. Sugar Bowl, Alpine Meadows and others are closed again today - third day in the last 4. Backcountry avalanche reports are describing 3 types of slab avalanche (wind, storm and deep) potentials as "4 - high" with size potential listed as "very large" to "historic" - not a smart place to be at all. I-80 is closed again, with more wind and snow tonight and tomorrow. Should make for a good ski season once the resorts can open again, but the long range forecasts have significant precipitation probabilities listed for most of the next two weeks after clearing for the 3 day MLK weekend. (Suppose the crowds on the roads will be insane?)

I was hoping to take my GF over Sonora and Tioga passes during the YFO days in Mariposa. But with that being the first three days of June, I am revising my expectations by assuming that the tops of those passes will still be closed, and that my planned traverse of Lassen NP a week later will also be highly unlikely. Thinking that it will be the end of June for 9000' + elevation pass openings.

Is it too early to say that we will be not be under drought conditions here in 2017?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you miss me yet?
Sure we do, but it's more likely that you miss this kind of snowpack on real mountains. :p
Thanks for re-posting that RR, Tom - I don't think I had seen it before. Having gotten a cold and a hernia (moving a 700 lb. gun safe) while moving to P.P. two weeks earlier, I missed that ride. :(

Russ, I-80 has been closed since yesterday and will be closed into tomorrow due to snow and white out conditions. Mud slide has 49 closed above Downieville until at least Thursday. Tons of water everywhere with lots of small slides. Been raining non stop for 26 hours and most likely all night tonight.

Fontannaman, can there be too much of a good thing? We are approaching our yearly total (54 inches) already and it's only halfway through the season.

TominPa. We have been getting water bombed since the first 10 inch rain in october. Of course we miss you
finger.gif

Exskibum, no KTM but the KLR is ready anytime you are. Let's ride!!

Rosskean, they are getting rain down south. The hills around Tehachapi were real green last Friday when I was down there but they rarely get the kind of rain we get up north.

Exskibum, no KTM but the KLR is ready anytime you are. Let's ride!!
You know I'm a pussy about inclement weather riding at this age . . . and my KLR hasn't run in 7 years. :p

So . . .

I've got the sand wedge out, practicing my chipping on the carpet. And the Volkl One powder boards are by the front door awaiting news that the roads are open - before the crowds converge on Sugar Bowl for the holiday weekend.

Today, I read that Lake Tahoe has come up 1 foot since Jan. 1, and 2 feet since Oct. 15. That is a LOT of water! The news just reported that Soda Springs has gotten 40 inches of snow in the last 24 hours, and that a blizzard warning is in effect through tomorrow (Wed.) at noon!

I'm one of those crazy riders that's out every day except for snow or ice. Yesterday we had some freezing rain overnight, so I wisely decided to take the truck when I stepped out onto the driveway that felt like a skating rink. To confirm that this was a wise choice, I was creeping down the very steep private road I live on in my 4x4 pickup in low range so I could avoid any brake usage that could lead to sliding. Suddenly the truck starting free sliding down the hill toward the public road that crosses at the bottom of the hill. Luckily I was able to get the truck over toward the edge where there was debris to provide some traction. This would not have been pretty on the FJR.
uhoh.gif

Today we were still below freezing, but at least the roads are clear so off I went on the FJR. About 1.5 hours later the wife called to report that snow is falling and our driveway is white. Oops. Hopefully the projected high of 36 and partly sunny will clear things up before I head home. I've heard that large zip ties work as tire chains in an emergency - maybe I'll get to try that out today?
punk.gif

It was close to 80 in Fort Worth, so hoped on the bike for a quick 100 miles "lunch" ride. Other than it was super windy, it was a great day plus I had my youngest daughter along as my first official passenger.