Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is an excellent thread about the s10. seems like the exra weight does not make a differenceclicky
I am sorry folks, but I turn 62 on October 28 and I have been riding off road for 50 years now; and when someone makes this statement, "seems like the extra weight does not make a difference", I just have to shake my old gray head and wonder where in the world they have been riding off road at! I have never been a motocross racer like dcarver or or an enduro racer like rushes or other dirters here on our FJR Forum, just happily plodding along off road from Cabo San Lucas, Mexico to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska; but I do know a 600 lb. bike is still way too damn heavy for any truly real dual sporting!

And as far as not turning ABS off on dirt: Jesu Cristo, I defy anyone to drop down into Mexico's Copper Canyon to either Batopilas or Urique with the ABS still on; you will be sailing out through 5K' of air!

Last edited by a moderator:
And as far as not turning ABS off on dirt: Jesu Cristo, I defy anyone to drop down into Mexico's Copper Canyon to either Batopilas or Urique with the ABS still on; you will be sailing out through 5K' of air!
I did see a video a while back that showed you could "disable" the ABS by putting the bike up on the center stand and starting it in gear. So it's not impossible but that's not really a real world solution. My guess is some smart techie type will figure a work around for it. I don't understand why Yamaha didn't include it as an option in the final design, like you said Don it could be real bad in certain situations.

I did see a video a while back that showed you could "disable" the ABS by putting the bike up on the center stand and starting it in gear. So it's not impossible but that's not really a real world solution. My guess is some smart techie type will figure a work around for it. I don't understand why Yamaha didn't include it as an option in the final design, like you said Don it could be real bad in certain situations.
And..., what would be those 'certain situations'?

Are they only located in Mexico...? :unsure:

Hola canyonman, It is obvious to old Papa Chuy you have real world off road riding experience, not just reading that fantasy crap over at ADV Riders; website full of posers. That tiny ribbon is the trail to Rio Urique heading to Batopilas. I would have a second heart attack attempting that 5,000 sheer drop off descent with the ABS turned on, no matter what make or model of motocicleta it is. Muy Peligro!

38.jpg

38.jpg

yep that about sums it up

And..., what would be those 'certain situations'?

Are they only located in Mexico...? :unsure:
CMMF, as you well know, since you also live in our American Southwest, there are a number of very steep descents in Moab, Canyonlands, Escalante Staircase and other downhills in Utah that could result in an over the edge fatality if tackled with the ABS on. Shoot, even within 25 miles of my house: Fish Hill on the Apache Trail or first Eastern downhill of Four Peaks could be fatal with ABS on!

i'm not gonna debate y'all on the ABS and no i don't have very much offroad experience and since it looks like i might have maybe a 1% chance of ever getting to ride the area's y'all get to ride, but i do think the s10 would do a good job on the gravel roads and farm roads around here in west tennessee. but the damn thing is probably too damn tall for a short legged person like me :p

edit

doesn't really matter anyways, can't afford another bike. selling my jeep and some of my guns now just to keep what i got

Hey everyone... I'm super stoked that the bike was released today...... If anyone wants to save some money my dealer is going to sell his for $12,499.00 if your out of state.... if your in TX regular taxes, Etc will apply.... [email protected] or 972-445-0825 Im doing Black.
Wow No One, that's a smoking deal. $1,400 off of MSRP is an incredible savings. I'd imagine that FJR Forum Members looking for a Super Tenere will be lining up outside of your Stadium Yamaha shop!

I was like a 6yr old wanting this bike... When I went to do the deed he was talking that price of $12,499 I about crapped my pants...... That just paid for my whole rear aluminum box sections for the rear, maybe another goodie too..... I know a few guys on here that are going to buy a Super T and wanted to pass along the savings if they or anyone else was going to buy........ :yahoo:

I quickly read about disabling the ABS... YES YOU CAN.. here is the VID

I'm with Papa Chuy on this. To damn heavy.

You'll excuse me if I chuckle to myself when one of you guys ends up with a prolapsed colon after dumping it in the boonies somewhere.

...as you well know, ...there are a number of very steep descents ...and other downhills ...that could result in an over the edge fatality if tackled with the ABS on. ... could be fatal with ABS on!
What, specifically, happens -- that could kill you...? :unsure:

ABS has been, almost universally, hailed as the second coming...; now I hear it can contribute to your demise... :eek:

I ask: If it's so good -- why would you want to turn it "off"...?

This a completely unqualified answer but if you can't sometimes lock up and drag the rear on loose downhill stuff you can't control your descent speed.

One of the dualsport guys Im sure can more accurately answer that.

This a completely unqualified answer but if you can't sometimes lock up and drag the rear on loose downhill stuff you can't control your descent speed. One of the dualsport guys Im sure can more accurately answer that.
Perfect answer canyonman, only item I'd add, if you are in a really steep downhill section, the ABS pulsing may not slow you down enough to keep from launching off of the cliff face!!!

This a completely unqualified answer but if you can't sometimes lock up and drag the rear on loose downhill stuff you can't control your descent speed. One of the dualsport guys Im sure can more accurately answer that.
Perfect answer canyonman, only item I'd add, if you are in a really steep downhill section, the ABS pulsing may not slow you down enough to keep from launching off of the cliff face!!!
Even IF you couldn't turn off the ABS (as it appears you can from above link), Yamaha has been touting the feature that if you tap the rear first, it turns off the ABS. I'm wondering why that isn't sufficient under dirt circumstances, and whether anyone here has tried that system.

This is the Main Street of Real de Catorce high above the plains of Matahuela in Central Mexico, there is the famous Cathedral that honors "The Royal Fourteen"; the Spanish soldiers who were ambushed and killed by the Seri Indians at this site! If you read my Ride Report when I tackled Mexico's Sierra Madre Occidental and Oriental, you will remember that Papa Chuy did an over the handlebars endo on a super steep descent. If you look to the right of the bell tower you will see where I crashed going downhill. I had neglected to disarm my ABS after restarting my engine at the top of the hill, I discovered this fact after negotiating the first set of dirt curves; actually made it halfway down before my downhill speed COULD NOT be checked by the pulsing ABS. Threw it into a tight dirt left as hard as I could, winding up with the ass end of myself and my 2009 BMW F650GS Twin "Salma Hayek" hanging over a 1,000 foot dropoff. Never again will I attempt dirt downhills with ABS! On my R1100GS you just flip a switch, on Salma you must hold down a button for 10 seconds. Oh Shit Time!!!

vivarealweb4.gif

...as you well know, ...there are a number of very steep descents ...and other downhills ...that could result in an over the edge fatality if tackled with the ABS on. ... could be fatal with ABS on!
What, specifically, happens -- that could kill you...? :unsure:

ABS has been, almost universally, hailed as the second coming...; now I hear it can contribute to your demise... :eek:

I ask: If it's so good -- why would you want to turn it "off"...?

Even IF you couldn't turn off the ABS (as it appears you can from above link), Yamaha has been touting the feature that if you tap the rear first, it turns off the ABS. I'm wondering why that isn't sufficient under dirt circumstances, and whether anyone here has tried that system.
exskibum, You're somebody whose knowledge I always trust on our FJR Forum; if you say this is the case where you can turn off the ABS COMPLETELY with a foot tap, then it's A-OK!

So, after watching one of the YouTube videos, I'm getting that the correct pronunciation of this bike is ten-a-ray?