Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Trax makes a similarly styled side bag system with angled top, but again without tie-down loops"
Actually, if you look closely at the Trax side cases, what looks like hinges on each side are places to bungie or strap things down. The hinge is on the end. And on Jesse bags,, you can buy some little metal loops from Jesse and drill some holes to mount them where you want. I've done that on a set of Jesse bags that are now in a son's possession.

doctorj
Good to know

DETAILS: "Just got off the phone with Gerald he said that Yamaha definitly does not allow selling your place in line, that when you place your order your personal info goes into the system for the build. Im sure he could explain it better if you give him a call. 256-739-1840" Jerold told me the same exact thing and he asked that I also clarify this to our FJR Forum: 1) YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT SELL YOUR PLACE IN LINE, AND THAT IS PER YAMAHA CORPORATION. 2) If the registration changes hands within the first six months, D & H is docked $500 by the Yamaha Corporation; so do not be a speculator and sell your new Tenere and hurt D & H Cycle. We do not want to negatively impact our good guy vendors like D & H!
Hey guys, I know I am late to this party, but I just wanted to comment on this post by Don. I donno where D&H got that information, but I call bullshit. Motor companies only know who makes the first sale. After a vehicle (MC, car, truck, boat etc) is sold, it could change hands 50 times and the company and dealer would never know. Now, maybe if it got traded in to a Yamaha dealer, but otherwise, if I bought a Tenere, decided I hated it and sold it to some guy 2 weeks later, Yamaha would never know and would never fine anyone. How the Hell is Yamaha gonna hold its dealers responsible if customers don't hold onto their bikes.

Sounds fishy.

Oh...And one other thing...Here's one more vote for ABS that can be turned off in the dirt. I grew up on dirt, and although I have never ridden an ABS equipped MC on dirt, I have been with people who have, and they fight the bike.

I get the idea of "function over form" for the off road bikes, but those cases are just plain fugly to me. Seems like they could come up with something that is a bit more aerodynamic for the dual sport bikes. Why not round off the front like Ducati did on the MTS for when you are tooling down the hiway @ 60+ mph to get to your off road destination?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, maybe if it got traded in to a Yamaha dealer, but otherwise, if I bought a Tenere, decided I hated it and sold it to some guy 2 weeks later, Yamaha would never know and would never fine anyone. How the Hell is Yamaha gonna hold its dealers responsible if customers don't hold onto their bikes.
I don't know about you, but if I were buying a almost new Tenere from a dealer or a private party, I would insist the factory warranty be transferred to my name so I would be on the mailing list for recalls and would be able to take it to any Yamaha dealer for recall/warranty work.

Now, maybe if it got traded in to a Yamaha dealer, but otherwise, if I bought a Tenere, decided I hated it and sold it to some guy 2 weeks later, Yamaha would never know and would never fine anyone. How the Hell is Yamaha gonna hold its dealers responsible if customers don't hold onto their bikes.
I don't know about you, but if I were buying a almost new Tenere from a dealer or a private party, I would insist the factory warranty be transferred to my name so I would be on the mailing list for recalls and would be able to take it to any Yamaha dealer for recall/warranty work.
AJ, You know I am your Huckleberry, and I always back your play; especially against dickwads like RadioHowie and Bustanut joker. But, MCRIDER007 is right on the money in his reply, the first thing the second owner of any new to him machine, whether it is a boat or bike or car or truck, is going to do is mail in the Factory Warranty Change of Address Card to the Manufacturing Factory.

Speaking of which, has your smarter and better looking brother Patch308, mailed in his BMW Factory Warranty Card on his new to him BMW R1200GS Adventure? Don Hoge, the previous owner, told me that Alex's Beemer still has the factory warranty remaining on it. I just received a letter from BMW yesterday that they are going to install new sprockets and a final drive chain on my 2009 BMW F650GS Twin "Senorita Salma Hayek" free of charge! I didn't even know I was eligible for the free upgrade until I got the BMW letter. Alex may have free upgrades awaiting his M/C!

AJ, You know I am your Huckleberry, and I always back your play; especially against dickwads like RadioHowie and Bustanut joker. But, MCRIDER007 is right on the money in his reply
Thanks Don, its good to know that I am not in the dickwad category (yet) and as I recall, Yamaha had a similar policy when the FJR's were on the PDP. I bought my 05 FJR when another buyer decided not to exercise his PDP option and my dealer told me (up front) that he was going to wait about 6 weeks to transfer the registration/warranty to my name so he would not lose the $500 PDP credit on that bike. Its easy to see why Yamaha likes the PDP program since it guarantees the dealers will take all the bikes shipped to the US and not complain if they can't sell them, but why Yamaha cares who the dealers actually sell the bikes to is a mystery.

Where you guys standing there when your dealer entered in your info into Yamaha-dealer web site to place your order? Yamaha (factory) wants your Email address. Have you guys gotten anything from Yamaha about your confirmation or anything ? :blink:

For the guys that have ordered over the phone, other than your money what did they ask you for ? Interesting ?

For the guys that have ordered over the phone, other than your money what did they ask you for ? Interesting ?
Name, address, and phone# mailed with the check. Nothing official until the dealer has check "in hand", I can understand that. The D&H over the phone deal probably a little different than going personally to the dealer. With my local dealer lacking the foresight to come off the advertised MSRP I really didn't have another choice locally.

Heard a rumor Yamaha already sold 1100+ bikes since the US release.

AJ, You know I am your Huckleberry, and I always back your play; especially against dickwads like RadioHowie and Bustanut joker. But, MCRIDER007 is right on the money in his reply
Thanks Don, its good to know that I am not in the dickwad category (yet) and as I recall, Yamaha had a similar policy when the FJR's were on the PDP. I bought my 05 FJR when another buyer decided not to exercise his PDP option and my dealer told me (up front) that he was going to wait about 6 weeks to transfer the registration/warranty to my name so he would not lose the $500 PDP credit on that bike. Its easy to see why Yamaha likes the PDP program since it guarantees the dealers will take all the bikes shipped to the US and not complain if they can't sell them, but why Yamaha cares who the dealers actually sell the bikes to is a mystery.
Back in '02 when I did my PDP the dealer did the paperwork on the spot and I got the 'pink' sheet and a confirmation number, I believe my place in line was #276. At least that was what my vin# reflected. I don't believe they shipped them out willy-nilly. Bike arrived 7/31/2002 and I was grinning like a Cheshire cat while they were putting it together. IIRC I did get confirmation from Cypress via e-mail. Things may have changed over time, since mine was one of the first.

standinbags.jpg
Can you get the lids closed if those ladies scrunch down? Or don't they come with the luggage? B)

[SIZE=18pt]We all like pictures, right ? Here are some of my favorites ! ! ! [/SIZE] :yahoo:

WASPWORKS20Super20Tenere20270710_12.jpg

M.jpg

L.jpg

K.jpg

J.jpg

I.jpg

H.jpg

G.jpg

F.jpg

E.jpg

D.jpg

C.jpg

B.jpg

A.jpg

O.jpg

AJ, You know I am your Huckleberry, and I always back your play; especially against dickwads like RadioHowie and Bustanut joker. But, MCRIDER007 is right on the money in his reply, the first thing the second owner of any new to him machine, whether it is a boat or bike or car or truck, is going to do is mail in the Factory Warranty Change of Address Card to the Manufacturing Factory.
Speaking of which, has your smarter and better looking brother Patch308, mailed in his BMW Factory Warranty Card on his new to him BMW R1200GS Adventure? Don Hoge, the previous owner, told me that Alex's Beemer still has the factory warranty remaining on it. I just received a letter from BMW yesterday that they are going to install new sprockets and a final drive chain on my 2009 BMW F650GS Twin "Senorita Salma Hayek" free of charge! I didn't even know I was eligible for the free upgrade until I got the BMW letter. Alex may have free upgrades awaiting his M/C!
WHAT are you talking about? I used to sell cars, so I know there is no "factory warranty card" to send in when buying a used car. I can see if there is aftermarket warranty that needs to change hands, like maybe YES, but factory warranty starts the day the bike is sold. Yamaha and every other manufacturer knows the date their units are sold. Then "3 years or 36,000 miles" later, that warranty expires, regardless of who owns the car. Far as I have seen, it's the same for motorcycles. Dealers know the first date of registration when they obtain the title so that they can sell the vehicle. There is no factory warranty card.

AND...You're telling me that Yamaha is dictating that if I buy one of their bikes, I am being forced to keep it or they will punish the dealer that sold it to me? Now, my bullshit detector is really pegging. No manufacturer of any product can attempt to influence what the market does after the sale. Basically by this standard, Yamaha would be forcing buyers to keep the Yamaha bike for some unknown reason. What if I buy one and total it on the way home. The title transferes to my insurance company, so the dealer would get a $500 fine?

I'm telling you right now, that's not true.

DETAILS: "Just got off the phone with Gerald he said that Yamaha definitly does not allow selling your place in line, that when you place your order your personal info goes into the system for the build. Im sure he could explain it better if you give him a call. 256-739-1840" Jerold told me the same exact thing and he asked that I also clarify this to our FJR Forum: 1) YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT SELL YOUR PLACE IN LINE, AND THAT IS PER YAMAHA CORPORATION. 2) If the registration changes hands within the first six months, D & H is docked $500 by the Yamaha Corporation; so do not be a speculator and sell your new Tenere and hurt D & H Cycle. We do not want to negatively impact our good guy vendors like D & H!
Hey guys, I know I am late to this party, but I just wanted to comment on this post by Don. I donno where D&H got that information, but I call bullshit. Motor companies only know who makes the first sale. After a vehicle (MC, car, truck, boat etc) is sold, it could change hands 50 times and the company and dealer would never know. Now, maybe if it got traded in to a Yamaha dealer, but otherwise, if I bought a Tenere, decided I hated it and sold it to some guy 2 weeks later, Yamaha would never know and would never fine anyone. How the Hell is Yamaha gonna hold its dealers responsible if customers don't hold onto their bikes.

Sounds fishy.

Oh...And one other thing...Here's one more vote for ABS that can be turned off in the dirt. I grew up on dirt, and although I have never ridden an ABS equipped MC on dirt, I have been with people who have, and they fight the bike.
Well this may be true if there isn't a warranty claim, but when I last took my Honda St1300A in for a minor part covered under extended warranty, they looked the VIN up and could tell me the orginal owner, the owner I bought it from (2nd owner) and then when I got it. So Honda keeps up with the bike's history very well. This is due to the warranty being transferred I'm suppose. Maybe Yamaha is different.

doctorj

This a completely unqualified answer but if you can't sometimes lock up and drag the rear on loose downhill stuff you can't control your descent speed. One of the dualsport guys Im sure can more accurately answer that.
Perfect answer canyonman, only item I'd add, if you are in a really steep downhill section, the ABS pulsing may not slow you down enough to keep from launching off of the cliff face!!!
If I've commented before on this, sorry. But if you read through a lot of posts on ADVrider, you find that the Aussies, Europeans and South Africans have tried the S10 with the ABS system and different modes available for the TCS and find it works great off road WITHOUT disabling the ABS. They have tried it both ways (on and off) and seem to conclude that Yamaha has designed a system that really doesn't need a turn off switch. This is unlike most other bikes. Sheesh I had an 07 DL650ABS, and it's ABS was scary going downhill on gravel. But somehow, this system just works. Go figure.

doctorj

Just got official word from D&H $11,999 out the door with $1,000 deposit. so it begins!
Me too. I had talked to Gerald yesterday and told I was #2 on the list. He called me this afternoon with that same info. Man, I don't need a third bike but this is such a smokin deal for such a machine I'll probably send a deposit and could still sell my spot in line down the road if I lost the desire or sumpin. The raven is the one so it will match my black beauty 08 FJR.

doctorj
Just got off the phone with Gerald he said that Yamaha definitly does not allow selling your place in line, that when you place your order your personal info goes into the system for the build. Im sure he could explain it better if you give him a call. 256-739-1840

Ok, just looked, its 1687 miles from D&H to my house in Phoenix, but that's over the super boring superslab route...
Doesn't have to be, it is a dual sport after all.
Hmmm, well he didn't say or know about that when he talked to me, but no biggie since guess could just sell the bike after getting it if I had to. Or can Yamaha send a Ninja after me for doing that? :blink: :rolleyes: .

doctorj

This a completely unqualified answer but if you can't sometimes lock up and drag the rear on loose downhill stuff you can't control your descent speed. One of the dualsport guys Im sure can more accurately answer that.
Perfect answer canyonman, only item I'd add, if you are in a really steep downhill section, the ABS pulsing may not slow you down enough to keep from launching off of the cliff face!!!
If I've commented before on this, sorry. But if you read through a lot of posts on ADVrider, you find that the Aussies, Europeans and South Africans have tried the S10 with the ABS system and different modes available for the TCS and find it works great off road WITHOUT disabling the ABS. They have tried it both ways (on and off) and seem to conclude that Yamaha has designed a system that really doesn't need a turn off switch. This is unlike most other bikes. Sheesh I had an 07 DL650ABS, and it's ABS was scary going downhill on gravel. But somehow, this system just works. Go figure.

doctorj

I agree with you.. And everything I have read from owners of the new bike have proven that to me so far...... ABS has saved my life twice so far. I'm going to give it a good try, and if there is a section I dont want ABS im sure there will be a million mods to do in the future..... As you said this ABS is like nothing out there... It should be called smart ABS or Gen II ABS..... LOL

I guess everyone has there own idea of what or where you should ride this new bike... For me, I think most of the time I can just leave it on. If not I can tap the rear brake once and unlock the linked brakes..... If I see something really dumb that I need to stop and look at before I ride it and dont want the ABS on, then Ill put the bike up on the center stand, click it into second gear and turn the ABS off............ seams easy and simple to me... :)

I really think (and we will see next summer) that many people that might have a bad taste about ABS will or might have a different take on this system after they test ride or ride there friends Super Tenere ! :) :)

I think the whole "brake" thing on this bike is kinda funny, with people not liking something about the 'brakes' here's why:

-You like ABS: GOT IT

-You like linked brakes: GOT IT

-You dont like ABS and would never use it, turn it off: GOT IT

-You dont like linked brakes, tape the rear and turn it off: GOT IT

-You like good old stand alone brakes, you can do that: GOT IT

-You like full blast safety with all ABS, and linked, so it might save your ass: GOT IT

With all these options with brakes, traction control and power settings, how can this not be the most versatile power/brake bike made to date?

It really has most any situation covered for each individual rider, to go ride anywhere, any place........

"Trax makes a similarly styled side bag system with angled top, but again without tie-down loops"
Actually, if you look closely at the Trax side cases, what looks like hinges on each side are places to bungie or strap things down. The hinge is on the end. And on Jesse bags,, you can buy some little metal loops from Jesse and drill some holes to mount them where you want. I've done that on a set of Jesse bags that are now in a son's possession.

doctorj

Do you know if the Trax bags are going to be heading over here? Do you have a link to those guys... I would like those tie downs for my bag I posted up ^^^..... I think there are going to allot of options over the next six - eight months for sure.... Can wait !

Do you mean these ?
kft_06_145_20000__b_401281013624-16144.jpg
I saw them being sold in Daytona this year in March and are listed on Twisted Throttle's web site too. They aren't as expensive as people think either. I kinda like them.

doctorj