Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the way you think, No One! That is exactly what I do with my three Al Jesse Aluminum Panniers camping in Mexico or the Yukon. The side boxes make two chairs and the top box is my table!!!
Magnifico!

As I been doing more and more of the DS thing, I find myself going away from hard panniers and looking more towards buying some soft bags (like Giantloop). Most hard panniers will add about 30lbs to the rear! On the road that's fine, but offroad the weight is a nightmare. Also if you're not careful there's a big chance of getting your foot stuck underneath the pannier itself. IMO the best situation off road is to lose the side bags all together!!
Also when considering the weight of bike, it isn't just the weight of picking it up off the ground. You also have to consider when riding the pig through the real tight gnarly stuff. Like Dcarver mentioned, you may get the big pig through that gnarly trail, but because of its weight you will be tired real fast, wishing it was over and basically losing that big smile fast!!!

Chris,

Here is a pretty good ride report RIDE REPORT They use soft bags off road and like them... They talk about a few other things that im looking into aswell..... Good and funny

I think im going with hard bags so I can take them off at the camp site and use them for a chair or small table.. Also I can stuff them if I need too and not have to bugger with the zippers... Your points are good ones for sure...

Ain't my first Rodeo !!! LOL I like the link you shared with us about the touring guys you have used before.... Did you check out that Around the World they offer.... WOW... Crazy cool !

As I been doing more and more of the DS thing, I find myself going away from hard panniers and looking more towards buying some soft bags (like Giantloop). Most hard panniers will add about 30lbs to the rear! On the road that's fine, but offroad the weight is a nightmare. Also if you're not careful there's a big chance of getting your foot stuck underneath the pannier itself. IMO the best situation off road is to lose the side bags all together!!
Also when considering the weight of bike, it isn't just the weight of picking it up off the ground. You also have to consider when riding the pig through the real tight gnarly stuff. Like Dcarver mentioned, you may get the big pig through that gnarly trail, but because of its weight you will be tired real fast, wishing it was over and basically losing that big smile fast!!!
Chris I went with the Wolfman Expedition Dri-line saddlebags and double-end Duffle bag found here:

https://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedition/10index.html

I only used them on one trip, but I like them, and people at the Horizons Unlimited meet generally made positive comments on my setup. I think I may get the tank panniers for shorter trips to get the tools and basic stuff for an overnighter down low. If I were going for months from home, hard bags make some sense due to durability, functionality and security benefits. But like you, I worry about a broken ankle and the weight of hard panniers. On shorter vacations the soft bags are functional and add little weight. My only concern is wether they will hold up if the bike takes a nap on rocks.

The big tenere is meant for longer haul trips with some gravel or relatively mild off-road "espeditions" I think, so I would worry less about a broken ankle, which (from what I've read only) happens more in deep soft stuff like sand. Hard bags look better on a big bike too, which can also handle the weight over the rear axle better. Just my thoughts, take them for what you paid for them. ;)

Tres Preguntas, por favor; mi Bueno Amigo ShinyPartsUp: 1) Did You ever post up a link to a Ride Report with photos of the Horizons Unlimited Meet? I would really like to see that, please. 2) Did you have an opportunity to examine the Al Jesse Aluminum panniers at the Horizons Unlimited Meet? I am close personal friends with Al and his Wife Sue, I would feel like a real shithook attending the Annual AZ Beemers Christmas Party with anything other than Jesse Boxes on mi Motocicleta! You know me SPU, I value personal relationships over El Dinero every time; I'll never change that about myself! 3) Trusting SkooterG's advice will get you into a hell of a lot of trouble. But the good news is: Riding with that Goofy Fucker is an adventure every damn time! Skooty keeps my life INTERESTING!
Don,

I spent a couple minutes looking at hard bags to give examples of what people liked and what I think makes most sense. About a dozen bikes sported aluminum hard bags. I heard a couple of riders say they prefer hard bags that have the ability to take the top of the panniers off completely, rather than just a hinge. One guy welded an old-style bottle opener onto the back of a bag for beer moments. Another guy welded brackets on the back of the bags for water and oil bottles. One guy lamented not having soft bags inside the hard bag to ease removal of the contents.

here is an example of a standard, functional hard pannier. But it has tie-down loops on the top which can limit some of the functionality off the bike when using it as a seat, table, workspace, etc.:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http:/...255&bih=591

Jesse luggage has a great reputation, has a cutout on the bottom to give your ankles a chance in a crash and has an angled top. I think what I saw was these panniers, but with aluminum tie-down loops welded to the angular portion of the bag top. This allows the top to still be used as a flat surface:

https://www.xplorermoto.com/o2r1200gs.html

Trax makes a similarly styled side bag system with angled top, but again without tie-down loops:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-free/240836...on_Systems.html

Here are micatech bags that are stylish but less functional, as they have no tie-down loops that I can see:

https://www.micatech.net/images/gallery/201...th_v2s_rear.jpg

Metal Mule has hard bags specifically made for the Super Tenere, but they have loops on the top of the panniers:

https://www.metalmule.com/luggage-systems/

Here is a thread on Horizons Unlimited with pictures of the process one man went through to make his own aluminum bags:

https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/equi...niers-top-39773

I hope this primer may help somebody. A quick Google search found a lot of people making aluminum side bags and top boxes.

Mick, thank you for the hard work of providing aluminum pannier comparisons; it is very much appreciated. But this is all the proof that I need for Al Jesse Luggage. That is my fellow AZ Beemers Club Member and off road riding buddy Marty Meitl's BMW R100GS hanging from the forklift.

hangingbike.jpg

And that is Al's wife Julie and their Receptionist Sue, standing in the luggage of Papa Chuy's BMW R1100GS, "Mi Mexico Mule"!

standinbags.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mick, thank you for the hard work of providing aluminum pannier comparisons; it is very much appreciated. But this is all the proof that I need for Al Jesse Luggage. That is my fellow AZ Beemers Club Member and off road riding buddy Marty Meitl's BMW R100GS hanging from the forklift.
hangingbike.jpg

And that is Al's wife Julie and their Receptionist Sue, standing in the luggage of Papa Chuy's BMW R1100GS, "Mi Mexico Mule"!

standinbags.jpg
That's pretty impressive. When I get my KTM it will have those bags.

BTW, BeemersD, if a fella runs them bags and has ABS will the ABS stop faster or slower than a non-ABS bike with or without the Jesse bags? Well? Huh? Cat your tongue? :rofl:

hangingbike.jpg

standinbags.jpg

Bet you couldn't do that with a really heavy bike like a Super tenere! :lol:

If Al Jesse is such a good friend, tell him to weld on some tie-down loops on the angled areas so you can bungie soft stuff on top for your 'round the world' tour.

But that is a really, really impressive set of pictures. Tell him I could use some decent sturdy side cases for the FJR -- they'd sell! ;) :p

hangingbike.jpg

standinbags.jpg
That's pretty impressive. When I get my KTM it will have those bags.

BTW, BeemersD, if a fella runs them bags and has ABS will the ABS stop faster or slower than a non-ABS bike with or without the Jesse bags? Well? Huh? Cat your tongue? :rofl:
Dear Brother Don, I admit total and complete defeat; the Cat has got my tongue! As Forrest Gump would say: "Life is like a box of chocolates; and, that is all I have to say about that!"

hangingbike.jpg

standinbags.jpg

Bet you couldn't do that with a really heavy bike like a Super tenere! :lol:

If Al Jesse is such a good friend, tell him to weld on some tie-down loops on the angled areas so you can bungie soft stuff on top for your 'round the world' tour.

But that is a really, really impressive set of pictures. Tell him I could use some decent sturdy side cases for the FJR -- they'd sell! ;) :p
Brother Shiny, Al and Julie Jesse and their entire staff is/are a very good friend(s) of Papa Chuy's. You'll be staying with me in November, before and after we ride Mexico's Copper Canyon. I'll take You and Al to breakfast some morning, his shop is just up in Glendale, AZ. You can ask him yourself and ask him about riding the Sahara. Africa and Latin America!

Brother Shiny, Al and Julie Jesse and their entire staff is/are a very good friend(s) of Papa Chuy's. You'll be staying with me in November, before and after we ride Mexico's Copper Canyon. I'll take You and Al to breakfast some morning, his shop is just up in Glendale, AZ. You can ask him yourself and ask him about riding the Sahara. Africa and Latin America!
I'm honored, and looking forward to it!

Those are some cool bags..... Definitely have to look at those !!!!

I'm sure many of you have seen this video but its pretty cool.... For the ones that have not you should check it out... Only hard core off road so far on the Super duper, Super duty, Super Tenere...... CLICK THE RED LINK......

[SIZE=18pt]
[/SIZE]

Here is a link of Pictures & Trips of Overseas Yamaha XT1200Z SuperTénéré owners:
https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592384

Caution! Can be dangerous to your pocketbook...
OMG,,, yea one of the first with TKC 80's Looks awesome ! Going to get a set of those tires much closer to next April and throw them on... Love that picture with the water almost up to the headlights...... Being used for what it was designed to do ! ! ! AWESOME PICTURES !

When I lay down I night I have this voice in my head, its kinda like a word being repeated hundreds of times over and over...... sounds kinda like...... may2011, may2011, may2011, may2011, may2011, may2011, may2011

I gotta go get my head checked.................. LOL Gunna be an awesome Mama!

"Trax makes a similarly styled side bag system with angled top, but again without tie-down loops"

Actually, if you look closely at the Trax side cases, what looks like hinges on each side are places to bungie or strap things down. The hinge is on the end. And on Jesse bags,, you can buy some little metal loops from Jesse and drill some holes to mount them where you want. I've done that on a set of Jesse bags that are now in a son's possession.

doctorj

OMG,,, yea one of the first with TKC 80's Looks awesome ! Going to get a set of those tires much closer to next April and throw them on... Love that picture with the water almost up to the headlights...... Being used for what it was designed to do ! ! ! AWESOME PICTURES ! When I lay down I night I have this voice in my head, its kinda like a word being repeated hundreds of times over and over...... sounds kinda like...... may2011, may2011, may2011, may2011, may2011, may2011, may2011

NoOne,

I thought you may like this link... pretty impressive possiblities.

With the 6 Gallon Tank, from what I have read, owners are getting from 32MPG to 50MPG and the Top Speed is around 135 MPH !

"Trax makes a similarly styled side bag system with angled top, but again without tie-down loops"
Actually, if you look closely at the Trax side cases, what looks like hinges on each side are places to bungie or strap things down. The hinge is on the end. And on Jesse bags,, you can buy some little metal loops from Jesse and drill some holes to mount them where you want. I've done that on a set of Jesse bags that are now in a son's possession.

doctorj

Do you know if the Trax bags are going to be heading over here? Do you have a link to those guys... I would like those tie downs for my bag I posted up ^^^..... I think there are going to allot of options over the next six - eight months for sure.... Can wait !

Do you mean these ?
kft_06_145_20000__b_401281013624-16144.jpg

OMG,,, yea one of the first with TKC 80's Looks awesome ! Going to get a set of those tires much closer to next April and throw them on... Love that picture with the water almost up to the headlights...... Being used for what it was designed to do ! ! ! AWESOME PICTURES ! When I lay down I night I have this voice in my head, its kinda like a word being repeated hundreds of times over and over...... sounds kinda like...... may2011, may2011, may2011, may2011, may2011, may2011, may2011

NoOne,

I thought you may like this link... pretty impressive possiblities.

With the 6 Gallon Tank, from what I have read, owners are getting from 32MPG to 50MPG and the Top Speed is around 135 MPH !

Fore sure,,, Thanks ! ! ! Ive been reading all those S10 topics over there for about six months..... LOL I remember when that popped up.. really cool ! !