Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L.jpg
I thought this picture was impressive. I mighta had to have someone else do that in front of me before I would tackle it. I'm thinking that would not be a good place to dump it.
This is how you ride a bike off road when you don't own it (or you have too much money)

If I've commented before on this, sorry. But if you read through a lot of posts on ADVrider, you find that the Aussies, Europeans and South Africans have tried the S10 with the ABS system and different modes available for the TCS and find it works great off road WITHOUT disabling the ABS. They have tried it both ways (on and off) and seem to conclude that Yamaha has designed a system that really doesn't need a turn off switch. This is unlike most other bikes. Sheesh I had an 07 DL650ABS, and it's ABS was scary going downhill on gravel. But somehow, this system just works. Go figure.doctorj
Thank you, sir.

Atencion Patch308: Alex, when you read this post would you please do two things for your Papa Chuy Viejo, por favor. 1) Give me a call at 480-440-4666 or e-mail me at [email protected] 2) Also, would you kindly bitch slap your muy Loco Hermano AJ off of his fecking computer and kick him in the cojones for me, por favor; he is getting goofier than Bustanut joker or RadioHowie combined.

Regardless of what this pinche cabron HotRodZilla is trying to tell us: Si, there is a BMW Factory Warranty Card! When you bought your BMW R1200GS Adventure from our mutual friend Don Hoge, he gave you a factory package of paper work. I walked out to my garage and grabbed what we are now going to discuss, it was taken from my 2009 BMW F650GS Twin, but I could have easily grabbed the same information off of either my 2005 BMW R1150RT or my 1996 BMW R1100GS.

First booklet is titled Consumer Warranty Information 2009 U.S. Motorcycles. Turn to the second to the last page in this book. You will find a heavy paper stock post card that says this on the front: BMW of North America, LLC with the address below. In the upper right corner is "No Postage Necessary if Mailed in the United States". On the back is all of the pertinent information you need to fill in regarding Don's BMW, that is now your BMW. Next, mail in this postcard. If you do not have this postcard in the paperwork that Senor Hoge gave to you upon purchase, just let me know, and I will give you this postcard from any of my BMW Bikes.

Now, turn to the thicker booklet titled Rider's Manual (US Model), this one reads F650GS, but yours will read R1200GS on it. On the back of the front cover the page reads at the top: Motorcycle/Retailer Data. On the left side of this page reads: Motorcycle Data. On the right side of the page reads: Retailer Data. When your BMW Owner's postcard is received in Westwood, New Jersey by BMWNA, you will receive back the following: A filled out and stamped by BMWNA Motorcycle/Retailer Data Card with your data and a copy of the BMW Service-Worldwide There For You packet. No matter what this Puto Perro HotRodZilla says, that is your BMW Factory Warranty Card. Once again, if you do not have the necessary postcard, just give me a ring! I always knew that you were the smarter and sharper Rodriguez brother!!! Plus, you are muy Guapo and HRZ es muy Feo!

AJ, You know I am your Huckleberry, and I always back your play; especially against dickwads like RadioHowie and Bustanut joker. But, MCRIDER007 is right on the money in his reply, the first thing the second owner of any new to him machine, whether it is a boat or bike or car or truck, is going to do is mail in the Factory Warranty Change of Address Card to the Manufacturing Factory.
Speaking of which, has your smarter and better looking brother Patch308, mailed in his BMW Factory Warranty Card on his new to him BMW R1200GS Adventure? Don Hoge, the previous owner, told me that Alex's Beemer still has the factory warranty remaining on it. I just received a letter from BMW yesterday that they are going to install new sprockets and a final drive chain on my 2009 BMW F650GS Twin "Senorita Salma Hayek" free of charge! I didn't even know I was eligible for the free upgrade until I got the BMW letter. Alex may have free upgrades awaiting his M/C!
WHAT are you talking about? I used to sell cars, so I know there is no "factory warranty card" to send in when buying a used car. I can see if there is aftermarket warranty that needs to change hands, like maybe YES, but factory warranty starts the day the bike is sold. Yamaha and every other manufacturer knows the date their units are sold. Then "3 years or 36,000 miles" later, that warranty expires, regardless of who owns the car. Far as I have seen, it's the same for motorcycles. Dealers know the first date of registration when they obtain the title so that they can sell the vehicle. There is no factory warranty card.

AND...You're telling me that Yamaha is dictating that if I buy one of their bikes, I am being forced to keep it or they will punish the dealer that sold it to me? Now, my bullshit detector is really pegging. No manufacturer of any product can attempt to influence what the market does after the sale. Basically by this standard, Yamaha would be forcing buyers to keep the Yamaha bike for some unknown reason. What if I buy one and total it on the way home. The title transferes to my insurance company, so the dealer would get a $500 fine?

I'm telling you right now, that's not true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been kinda reading about these on other boards and people seem to like them more than the GARMIN GPSMAP® 62st... Does anyone have one, and if so how do you like it ? Its the Delorme 60 (Orange) They make a really cool 60w (Black) aswell....... This is not me holding it I took it off the web.....

Delorme.jpg
It does a million really cool things if your off the path.

For the guys that have ordered over the phone, other than your money what did they ask you for ? Interesting ?
Name, address, and phone# mailed with the check. Nothing official until the dealer has check "in hand", I can understand that. The D&H over the phone deal probably a little different than going personally to the dealer. With my local dealer lacking the foresight to come off the advertised MSRP I really didn't have another choice locally.

Heard a rumor Yamaha already sold 1100+ bikes since the US release.
No One: My situation with Jerold & Renaa was same as for canyonman. In addition to name, address and phone # I also mailed my e-mail address; nothing "official" until D&H has my "check in hand"!

Ground clearance spec = ??

The severe limitation on the DL650 is clearance.

One of the fotos posted earlier - looks like maybe 7 -9 inches?

(and all you 'shorties' keep the jokes to yerself, k'?)

For the guys that have ordered over the phone, other than your money what did they ask you for ? Interesting ?
Name, address, and phone# mailed with the check. Nothing official until the dealer has check "in hand", I can understand that. The D&H over the phone deal probably a little different than going personally to the dealer. With my local dealer lacking the foresight to come off the advertised MSRP I really didn't have another choice locally.

Heard a rumor Yamaha already sold 1100+ bikes since the US release.
No One: My situation with Jerold & Renaa was same as for canyonman. In addition to name, address and phone # I also mailed my e-mail address; nothing "official" until D&H has my "check in hand"!

Cool.. just wondering if Yamaha might Email us just to let us know the have confirmation... Maybe over the next few months they might Email the 'buyers' some different pictures or probably and more than likely just to tell the customers there bike is at the dealer and ready to be picked up........... Who knows.... :blink: If yall get any word would ya post or PM...... Thanks !

Ground clearance spec = ??
I read 205 mm / 8 inches

Put some TKC 80's on it and it will be 8.5" LOL I can PM a guy over seas and have him measure a real bike and see what he comes back with ..... Is 205mm from Yamaha ? Good find
I found it quoted in a couple reviews so it is probably straight from the factory spec sheet.

Thanks !

I thought this picture was impressive. I mighta had to have someone else do that in front of me before I would tackle it. I'm thinking that would not be a good place to dump it.
This is how you ride a bike off road when you don't own it (or you have too much money)
You are soooo right on this one. After putting around $12000 plus title tax and tags and then around $2500 in farkles to the bike, no way in heck I'm gonna do this kind of stuff with it. I'll do some lighter off road but if I'm gonna ford rivers and climb boulders, there are likely some nice used DRZs around for cheap that I can thrash and trash to do that. My use of the S10 would be mostly sport touring in comfort and able to do trails etc. when I want to.

doctorj

You are soooo right on this one. After putting around $12000 plus title tax and tags and then around $2500 in farkles to the bike, no way in heck I'm gonna do this kind of stuff with it. I'll do some lighter off road but if I'm gonna ford rivers and climb boulders, there are likely some nice used DRZs around for cheap that I can thrash and trash to do that. My use of the S10 would be mostly sport touring in comfort and able to do trails etc. when I want to.

doctorj
You guyz crack me up. That's like having a Ferrari and not going over 55. Like having Angela for a night and not getting nekid. Like having an FJR and living in Florida. You get the idea. And... how are you ever going to get to the beautiful big boobed nekkid n horny 23 year olds if you don't cross the stream? :yahoo: Me n' Wabs will be on the other side o' the river. :lol:

L.jpg

If you like this sort of 'adventure'?, get yourself to S.E. AZ, Greenlee County, Apache NF, Forest Road 212, the "San Francisco River Rd.": from the southern terminus, past the confluence with the Blue R. and the cliff dwellings where it climbs out of the canyon onto Dix Mesa, there are 42 river crossings -- all, alot like this.

It is doable -- have fun... :)

doctorj
You guyz crack me up. That's like having a Ferrari and not going over 55. Like having Angela for a night and not getting nekid. Like having an FJR and living in Florida. You get the idea. And... how are you ever going to get to the beautiful big boobed nekkid n horny 23 year olds if you don't cross the stream? :yahoo: Me n' Wabs will be on the other side o' the river. :lol:

Bbwwwhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-LOL I'm gunna have to shoot the river to get some nekkid.... Otherwise have have to turn back and ride home 500 miles off road... LOL

Here are a few more I came across..... This bike must be a early test mule. Has a few different peices on the bike they must have been testing. Kinda cool............. also blue and red seats...

2012-yam-super-tenere-009.jpg

2012-yam-super-tenere-007.jpg

2012-yam-super-tenere-005.jpg

2012-yam-super-tenere-004.jpg

2012-yam-super-tenere-003.jpg

2012-yam-super-tenere-014.jpg

doctorj
Seriously, if you buy the bike and are worried about dropping it in the dirt/water then don't buy it. Or just stick with a street bike because the street is all she will be doing, I purchase my KTM used and still spent more $12K between purchase price plus additional farkles added and I have dropped that poor gurl more time than I want to admit. :dribble: Half the fun of these bikes is pushing them to YOUR limit.

doctorj
OK, I repent :rolleyes: . Maybe by May of 2011, I'll have my mind completely changed. Maybe I'm an old fart and cheap bastage, and figure all I'd get from a big boobed nekkid n horny 23 y/o is an STD :dribble: . I did take a V-Strom up the Haul road, so I may just have to forget the $$$ invested in this puppy and ford the rivers--water hurts less to fall into anyway as long as you don't drown I 'spose. Will somebody help me pick it up or will it float? :blink:

doctorj

DoctorJ,

We dont want to see you back on the haul road again or heading to Mexico with your bike looking like this....
Crazy.jpg
Other wise picking your bike up in the water is all YOU ! :blink: :dribble: :lol:

For all you new ADV riders that are about to get crazy next May dont let us see you with your bike looking like:
Crazy.jpg

Put DOWN the REI credit card and step away from the computer.......... :assassin: :lol:

Check this out, thought I read someone asking about this
crashbar.jpg

*******For all the guys that have one ordered or might own another type of ADV bike..... I came across this web site.. www.revzilla.com They have some really nice videos that talk and explain allot of gear.... Makes you understand some of the gear better before you buy... I thought it was a great web site....

Hey No One where'd you get pics of my bike on the Haul road? Just kidding, wow I wonder how the front wheel stayed on the ground. BTW, who makes those engine guards in that pic of the S10? I am sure there will be lots of options in bars, skid plates etc. as time goes on. Many aluminum bag makers and Givi will just need to adapt their mounts and not the bags probably.

doctorj

Well after a long weekend of pondering about this new bike I am out. The bike I have is a real good fit for me right now. I was a little troubled about the low seat height and ground clearance of the Yamaha. And the smallish fuel tank, and will it have enough electical power to keep up. My GSA has a huge fuel tank, and charging system. And being a tall guy the 36" seat feels about right.

If I didn't have this bike right now (2009 BMW R1200GSA) I would be buying one. My Beemer is setup and I going to keep her for a little longer.

Good luck to all you waiters out there...

Smitty :rolleyes: