Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Throw down your $500 bones and join the club ! :yahoo:
When I get back from WCR, I expect I'll be doing that, but I'd rather not pay 13,900 when others are getting them for $2000 less. That's why I'm wondering if there is a 49 states version and a Cali version, or if Yamaha is making them ALL Cali compliant.
I hope for you they are, but I really doubt it. Haven't heard of it yet on any other bike. You Kali guys have been getting screwed for years on the FJR. While all the rest of us '49 state normal people' have been able to shop FJRs around the country, you PRK guys have to buy instate. Or it's got to have 7500 miles on it and be 'used' before you can import it. I remember several Kali dudes buying FJRs out of state and registering in another state with a friend or relative until they get the 7500 miles and can bring it in to Kali. Of course there were a few who also didn't know the rules and bought out of state and got totally screwed when they try to bring a brand new bike into Kali. IIRC, once you make that mistake the VIN is flagged and you can never, as in EVER, import that bike to the People's Republik.

There are things I love about Kali, but there is also enough that sure make's it tough to live there.

The only way it could function effectively off-pavement is IF it had some way to assess how fast the bike was traveling forward versus how fast the front wheel was rotating.
Did you not read the paragraph quoted in the middle of the previous post?
I may have. I may NOT have. After all, this IS post #321... OMG!!!

I freely admit to diving into this mongo thread with a great big spoon for some quick amusement. If anybody has their beloved dog in this fight, have fun. I'm just tossin' bones.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way it could function effectively off-pavement is IF it had some way to assess how fast the bike was traveling forward versus how fast the front wheel was rotating.
Did you not read the paragraph quoted in the middle of the previous post?
I may have. I may NOT have. After all, this IS post #321... OMG!!!

I freely admit to diving into this mongo thread with a great big spoon for some quick amusement. If anybody has their beloved dog in this fight, have fun. I'm just tossin' bones.

:)

LOL.......................... Its just that the bike is really that good ! ! ! With ABS.... LOL or with out, or CLB, or traction control, or ? Whatever, its cool !

Get some good bags, drop the boat anchor muffler, throw a GPS and a SPOT on there and, go get lost with your camp gear! :yahoo:

Did anyone put money down on one? Go to the POLL and let us know what color you got ! ! !

Throw down your $500 bones and join the club ! :yahoo:
When I get back from WCR, I expect I'll be doing that, but I'd rather not pay 13,900 when others are getting them for $2000 less. That's why I'm wondering if there is a 49 states version and a Cali version, or if Yamaha is making them ALL Cali compliant.
I hope for you they are, but I really doubt it. Haven't heard of it yet on any other bike. You Kali guys have been getting screwed for years on the FJR. While all the rest of us '49 state normal people' have been able to shop FJRs around the country, you PRK guys have to buy instate. Or it's got to have 7500 miles on it and be 'used' before you can import it. I remember several Kali dudes buying FJRs out of state and registering in another state with a friend or relative until they get the 7500 miles and can bring it in to Kali. Of course there were a few who also didn't know the rules and bought out of state and got totally screwed when they try to bring a brand new bike into Kali. IIRC, once you make that mistake the VIN is flagged and you can never, as in EVER, import that bike to the People's Republik.

There are things I love about Kali, but there is also enough that sure make's it tough to live there.
Yeah -- I'm a second generation native here and this state has its issues for me. Once I lose my Mom (she's 84), I will likely relocate again -- northward. Both my current XX and FJR were bought when I was living in Nevada, so they're both 49 states models, imported back to the PRK with >7,500 miles on them (the magic mileage). You think we get screwed here on motorcycles, try guns. I know the gun laws very well and have managed to legally acquire (albeit at a premium) some handguns that cannot be imported unless you're a LEO, but shi-ite!! And with that, I better stop. :unsure:

With no used Super Teneres available, unless everyone's getting charcoal canisters, I may be forced to pay another PRK premium to have one. :angry2:

it's all's fault y'all keep voting in those da.....errrrrrr ummmm (note to self.... can't do politics here. got it OK) ummm

bet the weather is great out there :D

passable single track that is just getting tricky but the map shows a bitchen lake with nekkid 23 year old drop dead gorgeous females and it's only another 3 miles? That's when the weight will suck.
Callin' Bullshit! Never seen a map like that, so either you post it up, or it don't exist.

For the crap you're talking about, I ain't taking no FJR, XX or Super Tenere down that kind of trail. That's for a much lighter bike -- at most a KLR 650, though I might unload that and get a used DRZ 400 for the local stuff where the map shows bare titties and such.
LOL - Ladies and Gents, meet the first and foremost candidate for napping a pretty big blue bike! :lol:

.. I know you Rich, it will sing a siren song and you'll respond.

No one has interest in the 600c model or have I missed the point and it's not offered?

nekid 23 y/o's prefer gents on KTMs. So open your wallet wide. Not for the bike so much. More for the maintenance bills...

KTM's and 23 years have a lot in common.....high maintenance ! :p
:lol: :lol:

For those wanting to disable the ABS on Tenere here's an idea may work. What I have done on my KTM ADV is put a small micro switch on handlebars that shuts off (disables) the rear ABS sensor. The computer see this as a fault and turns the entire system off, and will keep it off until I turn the switch back on. My KTM does comes stock with the an option to shut the ABS off, but every time you start the bike back up it reactivates the ABS, thus needing to go through the whole process of shutting it off again. I put this switch in after one time forgetting to deactivate ABS after a startup and almost seriously losing it going down a steep dirt hill in which I couldn't slow because of the ABS. It was a major pucker factoring moment... :eek: .

Then I called SkooterG (The Fecker), only to be called a crazy Bastard and now Smitty of Hooterville has a call in to me.
As usual, you got it all wrong. <_<

SILLY FUCKER! I called you a SILLY FUCKER!

I don't get it. I'm not feeling the love. On paper, besides an awesome price point, I see a heavy dual sport with no outstanding features and some VERY disappointing engineering when it comes to luggage and bash plates. Of course a ride tells all. There have been bikes I thought I would love - and didn't. And bikes I didn't think I would like - and loved. But that all-telling ride won't be happening anytime soon, will it? Best of luck to you all. I hope it's as good as the hype.
SILLY FUCKER RESPONDING HERE! The only thing that bugs me is the stock inability to disarm and disable the ABS, I related to Smitty on the phone the close call I had down in Mexico with Brian last April, where I almost took a 1K foot plunge because my pulsing BMW ABS was not stopping me in time before a very sharp curve. EXTREMELY FECKING DANGEROUS!

But, HIGHLANDER consistently has the right information on motorcycles and he has a reference resource on how you can wire in a dash switch to disarm/disable the ABS for dirt work!

After owning a 2006 FJR1300, I'd wait until they iron some bugs out. No more first year/New GEN bikes for me. But that's just me and I wish all the new owners well.

I just hate the idea of ABS on a bike in dirt. I might be wrong, but I know I'd forget to turn it off and go down hard some day -- and I don't like the idea of a supposedly dirt-ready bike that has ABS all the time. It's a deal-breaker for this dumb ass. There are many better riders than me. I personally saw a guy two weeks ago on an RT1150 with street tires go down a nasty two track that put two other riders in the dirt (and my tank bag flying into the air and me almost down). The downed riders road true dual-sports. He then returned back up from the cliff on the RT without a scratch. My point is, there are riders that could take this new bike and run circles around me, but for me (an average rider off-road at best) this bike looks too hard to ride on other than relatively well groomed non-paved roads.

I'm not nuts about aluminum bags, but adding the cost of them to the bike, as well as all the little things you have to buy, makes the Super T more than a small expense for me. I don't like the idea of selling either the FJR I finally have pretty well sorted out, or a lighter dual-sport to buy this heavy lump. I never quite got the GS12 concept either though, but they sell well.

An aside to anybody looking for aluminum cases: I saw many different styles on the lost coast at a Horizons Unlimited Meet a couple weeks ago. Several of those cases had been around the world and I got to speak to the owners. The types with angled edges to the tops of the side cases with aluminum loops welded to THE ANGLED EDGES, and not the tops are the schitz. Great tie-down spots and you can sit down on them, or use the flat tops for a table, seat or work area on the road. The types without loops have no great way to tie things down, and the ones with loops on the flat top areas don't allow you the ability of double duty uses for the bags as easily. Thought I'd pass that on.

I've been lurking and reading about this bike, just hadn't posted much. But now that it is a reality, I just don't see it in my future.

Skooter echoed my thoughts. Besides, I still have a lot of farkles to buy for the bikes I own and future money to spend on trips to ride. I'm not sure what the Super Tenere brings to the table that I HAVE to have. But I wish those in love with it all the best.

I'll be reading people's experiences with interest over time. Like Skooter, sometimes a bike grows on me.

Thanks, CHRIS_D! I will be chatting with Smitty soon about your suggested modification. When I crashed hard in Mexico, my situation was the same as yours: I did not deactivate ABS after a startup!

nekid 23 y/o's prefer gents on KTMs. So open your wallet wide. Not for the bike so much. More for the maintenance bills...

KTM's and 23 years have a lot in common.....high maintenance ! :p
:lol: :lol:

For those wanting to disable the ABS on Tenere here's an idea may work. What I have done on my KTM ADV is put a small micro switch on handlebars that shuts off (disables) the rear ABS sensor. The computer see this as a fault and turns the entire system off, and will keep it off until I turn the switch back on. My KTM does comes stock with the an option to shut the ABS off, but every time you start the bike back up it reactivates the ABS, thus needing to go through the whole process of shutting it off again. I put this switch in after one time forgetting to deactivate ABS after a startup and almost seriously losing it going down a steep dirt hill in which I couldn't slow because of the ABS. It was a major pucker factoring moment... :eek: .

Tres Preguntas, por favor; mi Bueno Amigo ShinyPartsUp: 1) Did You ever post up a link to a Ride Report with photos of the Horizons Unlimited Meet? I would really like to see that, please. 2) Did you have an opportunity to examine the Al Jesse Aluminum panniers at the Horizons Unlimited Meet? I am close personal friends with Al and his Wife Julie, I would feel like a real shithook attending the Annual AZ Beemers Christmas Party with anything other than Jesse Boxes on mi Motocicleta! You know me SPU, I value personal relationships over El Dinero every time; I'll never change that about myself! 3) Trusting SkooterG's advice will get you into a hell of a lot of trouble. But the good news is: Riding with that Goofy Fucker is an adventure every damn time! Skooty keeps my life INTERESTING!

I've done a ton of off-road riding. You have to be able to lock up the brakes off-road, it's just as simple as that. Sand, loose rock, mud--you use some rear-wheel skidding to set up for corners constantly. Also, steep high-pucker factor descents, you have to be able to skid sometimes. Picture a steep, loose descent. What do you think will decelerate better--an ABS wheel rolling over the top, or a fully locked up rear pushing a pile in front of it and digging a trench on the way down?
Thank you, Spud! When Niehart - Dave Black introduced you to me at WFO in Moscow, Idaho you immediately impressed me as a very intelligent individual. Your explanation is perfect, in all regards!!!
Crimey it's getting deep around here. Ya know, all the flattery in the world probably ain't going to get you laid with Spud mi bastard-papa.
I'm actually holding out for Niehart, The Mature Type!
Niehart likes rum and cokes. I shared a room with Gregory at WFO in Eureka Don. Gregory plied Niehart with rum and coke -- just a tip to get your way with him.

No one has interest in the 600c model or have I missed the point and it's not offered?
I've been lusting after the 660 Tenere since it was introduced in Europe a couple of years ago. Wrote Yamaha and begged them to bring the thing to the States. Not happening....

I've done a ton of off-road riding. You have to be able to lock up the brakes off-road, it's just as simple as that. Sand, loose rock, mud--you use some rear-wheel skidding to set up for corners constantly. Also, steep high-pucker factor descents, you have to be able to skid sometimes. Picture a steep, loose descent. What do you think will decelerate better--an ABS wheel rolling over the top, or a fully locked up rear pushing a pile in front of it and digging a trench on the way down?
Thank you, Spud! When Niehart - Dave Black introduced you to me at WFO in Moscow, Idaho you immediately impressed me as a very intelligent individual. Your explanation is perfect, in all regards!!!
Crimey it's getting deep around here. Ya know, all the flattery in the world probably ain't going to get you laid with Spud mi bastard-papa.
I'm actually holding out for Niehart, The Mature Type!
Niehart likes rum and cokes. I shared a room with Gregory at WFO in Eureka Don. Gregory plied Niehart with rum and coke -- just a tip to get your way with him.
+1, Gunny!

Tres Preguntas, por favor; mi Bueno Amigo ShinyPartsUp: 1) Did You ever post up a link to a Ride Report with photos of the Horizons Unlimited Meet? I would really like to see that, please. 2) Did you have an opportunity to examine the Al Jesse Aluminum panniers at the Horizons Unlimited Meet? I am close personal friends with Al and his Wife Sue, I would feel like a real shithook attending the Annual AZ Beemers Christmas Party with anything other than Jesse Boxes on mi Motocicleta! You know me SPU, I value personal relationships over El Dinero every time; I'll never change that about myself! 3) Trusting SkooterG's advice will get you into a hell of a lot of trouble. But the good news is: Riding with that Goofy Fucker is an adventure every damn time! Skooty keeps my life INTERESTING!

Mi amigo,

No ride report as yet because I've only had two days off in the two+ weeks since, and took I the kids camping in the Redwoods those two days. I'm off to work again now. Plus, the days were gray and picture opportunities a little slim. Truth is, the memory card is still untouched in the camera. But I promise I will get a report out. Great fun and many instructional seminars (The chef preparing curry rice and spiced chicken with only two small cookstoves and camp gear was a treat). Listening to ride reports from people who had been around the world several times, or to Morroco or South America, or end of the road above the Arctic Circle on the cheap was amazing, inspirational and opened my eyes.

As for the panniers, I'm not sure of one brand vs. another, but I will research the subject and see if I can find examples of the type many there liked, and were most functional.

And Greg? He's an opinionated A-hole, but a great opinionated A-hole. ;) :D

I just hate the fact he's right more often than wrong. At least he knows nothing about goats. I have that on him!

As I been doing more and more of the DS thing, I find myself going away from hard panniers and looking more towards buying some soft bags (like Giantloop). Most hard panniers will add about 30lbs to the rear! On the road that's fine, but offroad the weight is a nightmare. Also if you're not careful there's a big chance of getting your foot stuck underneath the pannier itself. IMO the best situation off road is to lose the side bags all together!!

Also when considering the weight of bike, it isn't just the weight of picking it up off the ground. You also have to consider when riding the pig through the real tight gnarly stuff. Like Dcarver mentioned, you may get the big pig through that gnarly trail, but because of its weight you will be tired real fast, wishing it was over and basically losing that big smile fast!!!

As I been doing more and more of the DS thing, I find myself going away from hard panniers and looking more towards buying some soft bags (like Giantloop). Most hard panniers will add about 30lbs to the rear! On the road that's fine, but offroad the weight is a nightmare. Also if you're not careful there's a big chance of getting your foot stuck underneath the pannier itself. IMO the best situation off road is to lose the side bags all together!!
Also when considering the weight of bike, it isn't just the weight of picking it up off the ground. You also have to consider when riding the pig through the real tight gnarly stuff. Like Dcarver mentioned, you may get the big pig through that gnarly trail, but because of its weight you will be tired real fast, wishing it was over and basically losing that big smile fast!!!
Whatever it takes to get to Don Carver's "...a bitchen lake with nekkid 23 year old drop dead gorgeous females and it's only 3 more miles!..."; that really caught this old horndogs eye! Nekkid females!!!

Chris,

Here is a pretty good ride report RIDE REPORT They use soft bags off road and like them... They talk about a few other things that im looking into aswell..... Good and funny

I think im going with hard bags so I can take them off at the camp site and use them for a chair or small table.. Also I can stuff them if I need too and not have to bugger with the zippers... Your points are good ones for sure...

I just got this at back woods for 60% off.... Going to use it for long trips and add it to the back seat...
north-face-base-camp-duffle-bag.jpg
Really nice bag !

I like the way you think, No One! That is exactly what I do with my three Al Jesse Aluminum Panniers camping in Mexico or the Yukon. The side boxes make two chairs and the top box is my table!!!

Magnifico!

Chris,

Here is a pretty good ride report RIDE REPORT They use soft bags off road and like them... They talk about a few other things that im looking into aswell..... Good and funny

I think im going with hard bags so I can take them off at the camp site and use them for a chair or small table.. Also I can stuff them if I need too and not have to bugger with the zippers... Your points are good ones for sure...