ZX14 Dreaming

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxhuntr

Reaction score
I know this should be relegated to an old guy's fantasy, but I've been drooling over the 08 ZX14. Riding a sport bike causes me pain in the neck in about 45 minutes, so I'm sure I'd regret it. Any old guys riding one? I'm 65.

Riding a sport bike causes me pain in the neck in about 45 minutes, so I'm sure I'd regret it.
But not during those 45 minutes, you wouldn't. ;)

I believe FJRForum member TurboDave is about 107 years old, and he rides a YZF-R1 on the track for hours at a time!

Of the big sport bikes, the ZX-14 is probably the most comfortable option out there. If you cant get comfortable on it, then so much for riding sport bikes. They do make risers and whatnot for the ZX-14 and those might help you as well.

I have been an inch away from buying an 08 ZX-14 myself. Been sitting on Busa's and 14's a lot over the past month. The salesfolks are sick of seeing me drive up. :D

On a side note, I still have a bone stock ZX-11D and I find it to be just about as comfortable as the FJR for long rides. When I dont need the extra wind protection to keep warm/dry or the extra luggage, I try to ride it as much as I can. I suspect that the ZX-14 might would fit the bill as well.

Mark

Of the big sport bikes, the ZX-14 is probably the most comfortable option out there. If you cant get comfortable on it, then so much for riding sport bikes. They do make risers and whatnot for the ZX-14 and those might help you as well.
I have been an inch away from buying an 08 ZX-14 myself. Been sitting on Busa's and 14's a lot over the past month. The salesfolks are sick of seeing me drive up. :D

On a side note, I still have a bone stock ZX-11D and I find it to be just about as comfortable as the FJR for long rides. When I dont need the extra wind protection to keep warm/dry or the extra luggage, I try to ride it as much as I can. I suspect that the ZX-14 might would fit the bill as well.

Mark
Darn, I was hoping people would discourage such foolish thoughts!

I'm going to stay away from the 'Busa - ZX14' arguments. Let the magazines rail on. :assassin:

No, you're not too old. I'm 56. I think it all comes down to attitude and physical health. Forget mental health. We're all nuts anyway! :yahoo:

Take both of them for a ride. See which one is more comfortable. Subjective styling aside, I believe that taller folks will like the 'Busa better.

On my ZX14: I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam ... and that start to get towards 29" when I put my padded bikewear and leathers on. I can almost sit flatfooted with jeans on, however, when suited up, I'm basically almost on my tippy-toes. I usually shift to one side or the other for at least one planted foot.

I have 3 windscreens: the stock one, a Sporttech mirrored one, and a Kawasaki touring shield. I'm also ordering a Zero Gravity Sports Touring screen.

I also had risers installed.

Either bike you decide on... if you decide to crank the throttle.... you'd better hang on! Gobs of sheer HP & torque.

As far as sports-touring? I'm seriously thinking of selling the FJR after NAFO and purchase a BMW GS model. I want to explore the billions of miles of forest road in my region as well as tour more of the U.S. and Canada. I think the ZX14 in touring mode can take up some of the rapid-transit touring that I currently do on my FJR.

I believe you will be happy with whatever you decide. ;)

By the way, if anyone in my area would like a demo on a ZX14, contact me. Or just motor in to Monroe Motorsports and see Aaron or Nathan. They'll fix you up.

At 6'4" I can't fit on one with comfort at all, far too cramped.

Not sure about the states but in Aust they have not really taken off that well.

The new price has come down by a lot, and second hand with as little as 4,000 kms on the clock you can pick one up for $13,000.

I'd say that in reality, you're just about mature enough to handle it. Go for it! You're only as old as you choose to be.

You're too old only when you're in a nursing home!
Corollary Rule: You need to do this shit NOW, before you get to that nursing home!

And you don't have to be 65 to subscribe to this school of thought. If there is something you want to do in life, do it now, right now, while you can. While you are physically able. While you still have your health. While you are still alive.... hey, you don't know what tomorrow may bring..... :unsure:

Get the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corollary Rule: You need to do this shit NOW, before you get to that nursing home!

And you don't have to be 65 to subscribe to this school of thought. If there is something you want to do in life, do it now, right now, while you can. While you are physically able. While you still have your health. While you are still alive.... hey, you don't know what tomorrow may bring..... :unsure:

Get the bike.
And that's no shit dude. Two weeks ago I was chatting with an acquaintance at my sons baseball practice. A few days later I learned he died that night in his sleep. He was maybe 45. So yeah, do shit now rather than later.

My 57 year old neighbour has a new zx14 and rides it with cowboys boots on his feet.

Buy the Advil liqui-gels for when you dismount, they work faster... :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Get the bike.
Absofriken loootely...I'm trying to do the things I enjoy in magnum quantities anymore. I've been seeing to much planning for tomorrow, and not enough living for today lately, and in more cases than I am comfortable with, tomorrow has been getting cancelled.

Nah you're not too old. The ZX-14 will be easier to handle in virtually every way compared to the FJR; it's lighter, lower, less top-heavy, and alot more nimble. The ergos are alot different though and you'll have to give your body a chance to get used to the cramped legroom, and your neck and lower back probably won't be too happy at first. But IMO it really is the most comfortable full-blown sportbike on the road. I love my ZX-14, and hope to still be riding it 20 years from now (I'm 42 years young atm).

A fine addition to the bucket list. Do it.