Another PAIR removal approach, wadyathink?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why use such thick material for the covers? Would the bolts be too long with thinner covers?
Good question.

I don't know if the tapped holes in the valve cover are blind or through.

If the caps are made of thinner material:

• and the holes are blind, will the screws bottom out (leaving the caps loose)?

• and the holes are through will the screws be struck by something (as the screws extend deeper into the valve cover)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work!

I'm headed to Wicked Webby's tonight to check the fit of the set I made. I want to see if I can make caps 1 & 4 the same and just put the clearance hole on opposite sides.
Thanks for the complement B) It's nice to have free time and CNCs sometimes. The ones I made are semetrical. The drawing you sent shows they have a slight difference, but that can be attributed to varying measurements. I'll shoot over the DXF once I verify the fit if you want.

Why use such thick material for the covers? Would the bolts be too long with thinner covers?
There's also a counterbore in the backside for clearance.

Multiple people have made their own block-off plates now. Has anyone determined how much $/each would be required to make it worthwhile to make many sets and sell them?

My vote is for the cheapest least expensive option that fits properly and won't slice my fingers open on the edges. I don't need fancy brushed/polished/engraved/anodized plates to cover up some holes that are only visible when I'm synching my throttle bodies.

Multiple people have made their own block-off plates now. Has anyone determined how much $/each would be required to make it worthwhile to make many sets and sell them?
Just from my quick prototype, I'm guessing around $60 a set shipped. 1/4" 6061-T6 Aluminum. Without all the associated "make it pritty" things goin on, I'd bet someone could make em in the $30-40 range shipped.

No, I can [SIZE=12pt]NOT[/SIZE] go into production, I made mine on the 'sly'. Hell, I don't even know if they fit yet, but I'm sure Joe2Lmaker's measurements are true.

I was a bit surprised by the reaction this thread has evoked. It's only been a week… I've made a CAD model, two sets of covers and I'm verifying the fits tonight. I thought I had plenty of time to make a few sets, check the fits, take some photos, post prices.

O.K. Here's the deal: To get a set of PAIR covers from me would cost $70. I'm guessing that sounds kinda steep, so I'm not going to pester people who posted in this thread that they wanted a set. If you want to buy a set from me, PM me. I will not engrave Yamaha registered trademarks on them. If you want them anodized, we need to send as many sets as possible in the same batch. This spreads out the cost of the process. Also, there are several colors of anodizing available, so everyone needs to be happy with the same color. The choices are: Clear, Black, Yellow, Gray, Blue, Red, Green, Blue / Gray, Purple.

I’m definitely making sets for: Gramps, Wicked Webby, kaitsdad and RadioHowie. In RadioHowie’s case, it’s pure pity; in kaitsdad’s case it’s ‘cause I owe him; Gramps and Webby seem like the type that would lend me money.

Well, it's Friday and I have the perfect Friday question.

Now that I've made a few sets of these things and I'm about to send a batch out to anodize...

Should we be venting these covers? I've been told this mod could adversely affect performance; something about guys adding vents to valve covers and seeing performance gains...

I wouldn't vent them since they are the same as the 60's cars air pumps. I've always just blocked em off or welded them shut. There's lots of miles on these in various fassions already without any venting. Even with just plugs on the stock plates there's no venting.

Thanks for the complement B) It's nice to have free time and CNCs sometimes. The ones I made are semetrical. The drawing you sent shows they have a slight difference, but that can be attributed to varying measurements. I'll shoot over the DXF once I verify the fit if you want.

Any chance you might have this with a IGS file?

Any chance you might have this with a IGS file?
Who is this question addressed to?

Silent got his file from me. I was kicking around the idea of starting a CAD/CAM thread in either "Parts and Accessories" or "Technical Discussions".

I could offer this file in the first post and possible additions might be the GenII mirror extensions or the low profile AVCC clamps.

If you want to make something I've made and you want the file, I'll share it with you. For Free.

I think it's fair to expect that you would ask me before you

• share the file with anyone else

• use my work to make a buck