Custom Jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm interested in one also; An extral large U.S. size. So, I guess the jacket size that you sold to pappy; would work for me as well. How heavy is this jacket? just a light weight summer or is it heavy enough to ware in the fall. Thx MIke

Guess the rest of us are out in the cold, huh?!? :(

Skip, tell us more about your jacket. Thickness, fabric, stitching, etc..

I did a search on the net to see if I could find a similar jacket and then have one made up here in the states (or elsewhere). So far nothing even close to that one.

Ideas anyone?

Guess the rest of us are out in the cold, huh?!? :(
Skip, tell us more about your jacket. Thickness, fabric, stitching, etc..
Well, the jacket is what I would consider a mid weight, not light enough for the summer, and not heavy enough for winter (I live in Northwest Florida)

It is a similar material to the Joe Rocket textile pants I have.

Has a nice nylon liner and the stiching looks to be pretty good, some of the spacings between letters are a little off, nothing dramatic.

All of the stitching looks to have been done on a computer controlled sewing machine (wife has one).

She could replicate all of the logos except for the large FJR1300 logo on the back and the piping around the shoulders.

Elasticated waist with 2 outer pockets and 1 inner chest pocket, the cuffs are also elasticated.

The main zipper is also covered with a full length flap to keep wind out.

So, in summation, I would call it a heavy duty wind breaker, that will stand up to moderate fair weather riding,

Skippy

Guess the rest of us are out in the cold, huh?!?
yup prob.

unless we can find a co. here that can reproduce them prob not a hard thing to find so who knows some body with a embroidery machine?

and if we humongos want a 3x it will half to come from the us cause we all know that a jap xl is a small here

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a buddy with an embroidery machine....the real cost is getting the images digitized... about $80 per section of writing.. If we can get that done I can get the machine

Good news!! After seeing the jacket and liking it as much as the rest of you, I contacted a company that does this kind of manufacturing in Thailand and he has agreed to manufacture it. He wants numbers and sizes so he can have an idea of how many to make. He is not requiring deposit or anything, just a general idea. He likes the jacket and is going ahead regardless. He gives this recommendation for sizing

"Size :M (European Size)

"European Size Means 1 Inches Smaller than USA. Size. For Yours Safety Check Armpit to Armpit"

Armpit to Armpit :23 Inches"

English is not his first language.

Now is there a way the forum can poll people for sizes and numbers? the sooner the better? I sent him the pictures off this forum and we can see the finished items before ordering so no risk as far as i can see.

Can he get a similar jacket and do precisely the same graphics? I think you should get a finished SAMPLE, then we would commit. I think based on the previous responses to this thread that you'd probably get 50 or so takers. But I want to see pics of the finished product, first.

Hey Skippy, can we borrow your jacket for a while? Send it back to the orient as a demo? ;) :D

I have a buddy with an embroidery machine....the real cost is getting the images digitized... about $80 per section of writing.. If we can get that done I can get the machine
My Mother just sold her business. She did embroidery, screen printing and computerized monograming. I tried several times for her to make me stuff like we are speaking of and she absolutly would not. Why you ask? trademark infringement. I don't know anyone personally who was caught but she did and it cost them BIG$. I think those who have been caught have been on a much larger scale. Kinda like the Livestrong copycat braceletts that cost the imitators $150,000. So consider yourself warned. Be careful. I didn't mean to rain the the parade. It would be ok though if the person with the machine purchase the digitized script through the appropriate sources.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but is there any copyright/trademark or other issues around copying the jacket or corporate logo's without permission?

Can he get a similar jacket and do precisely the same graphics? I think you should get a finished SAMPLE, then we would commit. I think based on the previous responses to this thread that you'd probably get 50 or so takers. But I want to see pics of the finished product, first.
Hey Skippy, can we borrow your jacket for a while? Send it back to the orient as a demo? ;) :D
I would consider that if I can get a couple donated to me for my wife and daughter?

Skippy

Oh, I just love the CYA factor here in the USA... The way I look at it is this: If it came down to a copyright/trademark litigation issue, the culpability lies with the manufacturer. It is up to him/her to secure permission for those things. If he/she doesn't do that, the consequences are to them, and not the consumer.

It sounds as if there may be a risk to us, the consumer, when it comes to the quality of the reproduction of the jacket (stitching, logo accuracy etc). We don't have a clue how much this person wants for their effort yet either.

So there you have it... risky all the way around. If the jacket is under $X (secret #), I'm willing to take my portion of the risk. The rest is up to you, the buyer.

I think it's safe to say that the manufacturer knows their job and the legal expectations & ramifications that come along with it. I'm going to assume they are doing things correctly.

Fine. Anyone have an email address to someone at Yamaha in Cypress? I'll email them copies of the jacket and find out:

A:) can they get us a source for the jackets, even if in Japan, to purchase

and

B:) if not, can we get permission to have similar jackets made up with the same logos. FOR PERSONAL USE, not for commercial use. One shot deal in a group buy.

If they could locate the jackets from their contacts in Japan, perhaps that would save us all a lot of trouble.

I already tried to find an email address to do this, but I was lame and unsuccessful. Who has the secret Cypress contact information?

I did go through Yamaha's entire clothing/accessories pages and did not see anything even close to these jackets. So they must be some team jacket in Japan. Perhaps they are one-offs. But maybe, jut maybe someone at Cypress would be willing to help, if even just to give us the nod to proceed.

Oh, I just love the CYA factor here in the USA... The way I look at it is this: If it came down to a copyright/trademark litigation issue, the culpability lies with the manufacturer.
Exactly. My comment was to those who were saying "let's manufacture our own". Mind you, if someone did, I'd probably buy it. :D

Let's just get the jacket made, Liability my ass!! I'll take an xxl. And lastly, I appreciate everyones hard work but this project should be easy. Let's stop making things so difficult. Thank you FJR Kevin and hopefully we'll all be able to have these Jackets if we desire.

Peace Out!!

Jeffrey

Hey the guy is in Thailand....He has jackets with yamaha labels and pretty much anything else you can imagine (not lawyer shy in thailand!!), he does good work and all we are is clients...how could we be liable for copyright? anyway his jackets are well made, embroidered and CHEAP...forget the $85 dollars we are talking under $50 and perhaps as low as $30. go to this link and see his similar jackets and you decide...He is willing to make with no commitment from us so I see it as a no lose situation as he says...."Hello again Henry

Thanks for the pictures, I think I will make and put this jacket in my auktion.

If I can get it, How many and what sizes are you interrested in

Its a werry nice jacket"

He thinks it is werry nice, and so do a lot of us.

https://stores.ebay.com/Zirin5555_W0QQssPag...storeviewQQtZkm

I'd be interested in a large... or conversely he could put a bunch on sale at Ebay and we could all buy them there.