Death Valley Wildflower ride, Assuming we get some rain.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...and wind.

We will need some wind.

62708252pbgOGwJHTunisiaMay061381.jpg
Will we ever forget that ride back from Scotty's Castle? I think that was one of the most frightening rides I've ever been on. My little GS was down to 20mph. Andy and I tried to stop for a break but it was harder to hold the bikes up than to ride them. Aaaahhhh!!! the memories. It was still a good weekend though.

...and wind.

We will need some wind.

62708252pbgOGwJHTunisiaMay061381.jpg
Will we ever forget that ride back from Scotty's Castle? I think that was one of the most frightening rides I've ever been on. My little GS was down to 20mph. Andy and I tried to stop for a break but it was harder to hold the bikes up than to ride them. Aaaahhhh!!! the memories. It was still a good weekend though.
yea some of us tried to hide behind boarded up buildings at the end of the road past rayolite and that did not work very well

Chances are I'll be working my nookie gig during this time - so I'll not vote and skew the results. But man, there is soo much to see at DV.. I really encourage everyone to go and explore...

It should not take longstreet that long to climb the pole outside and make a phone call

Steve O

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems we are getting the rain, question is, are they gettig the rain. We will go regardless but this yr, take the Jeep we just purchased. This will enable us to go places we other wise can't on the FJR. Though, there is nothing like the Feej, the Jeep gives us that open air feeling.

Hmmm, have to remove the roof and doors for this trip.

See ya out there.

Ahhh the fond memories
Yes. Nothing quite so enjoyable as leaning into that 60 mph crosswind anticipating that moment when the gust stops....making the adjustment....and then waiting, with eager anticipation, for the next blast to move the bike sideways and signal the start of another round.

Ahhh the fond memories
Yes. Nothing quite so enjoyable as leaning into that 60 mph crosswind anticipating that moment when the gust stops....making the adjustment....and then waiting, with eager anticipation, for the next blast to move the bike sideways and signal the start of another round.
Joe

You sound calm and collected. I remember thinking I need to get off this bike as soon as possible, except whenever I got under 20mph the wind kicked up to 80 and on and on it went. Did'nt help that one knee was holding the tank bag, which blew off. Would have just let it go except it held everything valuable and I would have never seen it again, as it rolled and bounced like a tumbleweed into next sunday.... good times, good times.

I remember having my head buried under the windscreen as far as i could get it, hoping some heavy object did not knock my head off, there have only been a few times on the bike that I was concerned for my safety and that was one of them

Steve

Ahhh the fond memories
Joe

You sound calm and collected. I remember thinking I need to get off this bike as soon as possible, except whenever I got under 20mph the wind kicked up to 80 and on and on it went. Did'nt help that one knee was holding the tank bag, which blew off. Would have just let it go except it held everything valuable and I would have never seen it again, as it rolled and bounced like a tumbleweed into next sunday.... good times, good times.

Just glad I didn't have vox on the com with the lady finding Jesus. That was her fist ride of any distance. Thought for sure she was going to quit on me. Didn't happen though.

March?

Damn it! I was thinking about riding down there for this one, but could ya plan something after winter is over?

You sound calm and collected. I remember thinking I need to get off this bike as soon as possible, except whenever I got under 20mph the wind kicked up to 80 and on and on it went.
I was thinking much the same way, wanting a safe way to get off the bike. Glad I had my little 650 that's not top heavy, but then wishing I was riding the FJR which has some weight behind it. That was a thrill ride and a half, but good preparation for a ride through Utah, later in the year where the winds were like that all day, for over 400 miles with 100 degree plus temperatures.

Joe
You sound calm and collected.
Sarcasm sometimes does not come across effectively in the written word. For me,it was a very unnerving ride and I did not enjoyed it.

While I have been fortunate enough to have taken many long rides, and a few difficult ones, in the FJR community I am, realistically, a "newbie" having only started riding in 1999. What I remember most from that day is chatting, in the corridor of the hotel, with riders who have far more experience than I and listening to them talk candidly about how scared they were.

While I have been fortunate enough to have taken many long rides, and a few difficult ones, in the FJR community I am, realistically, a "newbie" having only started riding in 1999. What I remember most from that day is chatting, in the corridor of the hotel, with riders who have far more experience than I and listening to them talk candidly about how scared they were.

Wise words indeed, Joseph. Like you, I listened to some of the hard-core tough guys talking about being scared. That did make me feel a bit better about being flat-out terrified at times. Thank goodness we got a break in the weather for the ride home. Then again, it all adds to life's rich experience. Although I didn't enjoy that ride at the time, it made for good talking over dinner and even here, months later. The thrill ride was one small part of a very enjoyable weekend.