EOM 2013 - Maggie Valley, NC 20-22 September 2013

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We even welcome folks west of the Sierras...if they'll make the trouble...
I am of the belief that nuts don't roll that far uphill to make it over the mountains. IMHO the Smokey Mountain area offers some of the finest riding in North America though I do need to see if Northern California can live up to the hype. Southern Kali - sorry, too many people.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have some fine roads out there, and beautiful scenery to boot.

I tend to agree regarding technical roads...smaller mountains/hills tend to make smaller radii curves.

But don't take Kali roads off my "to do" list. Some people could ride their whole lifetime on Kali roads alone. Me, I want to ride all the roads in North America...(and NZ, and southren yrup, etc)

... Me, I want to ride all the roads in North America...(and NZ, and southren yrup, etc)
Let's see, New Zealand, been there done that - both Islands on a 990 KTM Adventure.

Alps? Yep, did that with BeemerDons and friends last summer on a little Beemer - good, good fun.

Iceland? Spent two weeks solo on a XT660R Yamaha into parts of the island the even the sheep haven't seen - an adventure not to be missed.

Alaska? Been there too. Rode the Haul Road along the pipeline from Prudhome Bay back down to Anchorage on a KLR. Perfect bike for that job.

What's left?? Isle of Mann to check out the IOMTT, South Africa, Dempster up to Inuvik, NWT, the Trans-Labrador to name a few. Like the man said so many roads - so little time.

I would say I am envious...then I remember...I get to ride the freaking great roads at EOM this fall.

biggrin.png

We even welcome folks west of the Sierras...if they'll make the trouble...
I am of the belief that nuts don't roll that far uphill to make it over the mountains. IMHO the Smokey Mountain area offers some of the finest riding in North America though I do need to see if Northern California can live up to the hype. Southern Kali - sorry, too many people.
Bill, Mike and I concur with you on the Smokey Mountains having some of the best riding roads in North America. Bar none!!!

Rob

It's done nothing but rain in the mountains recently so I took off in the Mini Cooper Monday for an extensive run to finish off route recon. NC-215 would be a great road for us because it gives a work around to head west from Maggie Valley without the endless slab of US-74 and US-19. Problem is, 215 between Lake Logan and the Blue Ridge Parkway is a horrible section of loose, patched chip seal. On the off chance that maybe they fixed it I went up there and darned if they didn't. It's still chip seal but the good kind packed to a fairly tight surface. One can have fun on it so we're in business!

Here's short 1 1/2 minute video from the top of 215 near the BRP. Note rain on the lower windshield. It was pouring until I got enough elevation to get on top of it. My GoPro decided to start losing its blue channel so the color looks funny.

https://vimeo.com/69589406

PS It isn't going to be on any routes but if anyone wants to earn extra credit try Grapevine Rd. It's quite an experience.

Grapevines! And, don't slip - it's a long way down off to the the right.

Grapevine+Rd.jpg

I'm in, marking it on my calendar! Just got back from Maggie Valley last week from the BMWRA which was in Asheville. Rode the Blue Ridge to Cherokee and then doubled back to M.V. for the Wheels Through Time Museum. Visited Dale and his fiancee since Dale and his friend Buzz Kantor were our Grand Marshals at the Riding Into History Concours at the World Golf Village outside St. Augustine, Fl. Always happy to visit that area of N.C.

Nice video looks like a fun road. I've added it to my motorcycle road waypoints.

I just went through 12 pages of comments. Can someone tell me if there is link to EOM2013 website? Is registration open? Did I miss something? A lot of 2012 stuff but I cannot find anything for this year.

Anyway I will be staying in Sapphire Valley which is about an hour or more south of Maggie Valley for the week. I had to use my timeshare week and this is about as close as it gets to EOM. Now if only I can find the registration site!

Dave

Dave,

Good questions. I am currently working on the 2013 site and registration piece. I have had to move the site to a new webhost, and none of the previous pre-built site data will transfer. I'm in re-construction mode now.

Thanks for the patience.

Wayne

I just went through 12 pages of comments. Can someone tell me if there is link to EOM2013 website? Is registration open? Did I miss something? A lot of 2012 stuff but I cannot find anything for this year.
Anyway I will be staying in Sapphire Valley which is about an hour or more south of Maggie Valley for the week. I had to use my timeshare week and this is about as close as it gets to EOM. Now if only I can find the registration site!

Dave

Thanks Wayne for the update. Been around long enough and I know how these things go. Glad I didn't miss anything that's all.

Thanks for your efforts,

Dave