FJR lean angle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like GixxerJasen I too own both a FZ1 and an FJR.
LOL, I don't own them both, just the FJR. I had to sell the FZ1 in my negotiations with that other person in my household in order to get the FJR. :D In about two years I plan on adding to the garage though with something more sporty for the mountains and the track.
But if the truth were told, I probably never would have bought the FZ1 had I bought the FJR first. If I had to do it all over again I'd have bought the FJR first to satisfy the craving for longer-range touring, then upgraded from 600cc to some kind of liter-size sport bike (the RSV4 and the S1000RR are calling my name now).
One of my favorite quotes about the FZ1.
If I can only have one bike in my garage, it'd be the FZ1. If I could have many bikes in the garage, the FZ1 would be none of them.

It's true. The FZ1 is probably the best "Do it all" bike out there right now, certainly one of the best. It's sporty, it commutes well, it tours decent, it runs the single track trails...erm, ok, it sucks at that but come on!!! However, it does NOT excel at any of those things like a more focused bike would. For that reason, if you can buy a bike that is focused in all of those directions, then you don't need the FZ1.

I owned two of them but needed to start on my multiple bike garage plan. I have a 30 mile commute each way and am NOT going back to a sport bike for that so "Sport Touring" direction was my first move. Added the FJR to the garage and now that covers my commute and any LD trips I want to take. By God I'm taking it to the track this summer but I know it won't be the same as my previous track days, but I like to feel out the full lean potential of a bike on the track before letting it rip in the twisties. Plus I'm LOOOONG overdue for a track day. But our financial planning shows that I should be able to add that sporty bike (Sport bike or supermoto, love them both) to the garage in about two years. Then it's time to start shopping for the Dual Sport/ADV bike.

Oh yea, and if you are worried about me singletracking my FJR, I've got a KTM 250EXC for that. Speaking of which, I really need to get that bike running again.

I had the pleasure of taking said VFR for a short spin and I must say, that bike is BAD ASS! After I rode it, I looked up the horsepower online and it said 172. My FJR felt anemic on the ride home.

Enjoy the bike, Mark.
Thanx again for taking time out of your schedule to help out a fellow rider. You sir are a great american! :good:

I'm still partial to my "Feed the Machine" ride video. North Georgia Twisties...Beautiful Fall Color...Clear Cool Mountain Air...The Aroma of Fresh Burning Firewood...Perfect Road Conditions...The Hum of High RPM's...The Smooth Swaying of the FJR in the Corners...Priceless! :yahoo:

Lean angle issues??? :blink: ...No Way Jose! ;) ....besides a peg scrap every now & again is good for the soul! lol

https://vimeo.com/31670051
Excellent Vid. :fan_1:

Thanx again for taking time out of your schedule to help out a fellow rider. You sir are a great american! :good:
No problem. That is one sweet ride. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I didn't get to take it up to the twisties, but I could tell from a quick ride around town that it was quick, nimble and surprisingly comfortable. I think the risers helped with the comfort part.

I am glad you got the bike you wanted. I am assuming you sold the FJR to get it but you had enough miles on it already to say you got your $$$'s worth anyway. Would you mind posting some pics of the new VFR and possibly some riding impressions and comparisons?

No reason you can't work on technique to hang off (and thus decrease lean) on an FJR. It works well at the Total Control course -- I've done it -- and the riding techniques they teach there translate well to the Feejer. Unless you're truly a daredevil, that should take care of most scraping issues on roads that have speed limits, shouldn't it?

No reason you can't work on technique to hang off (and thus decrease lean) on an FJR. It works well at the Total Control course -- I've done it -- and the riding techniques they teach there translate well to the Feejer. Unless you're truly a daredevil, that should take care of most scraping issues on roads that have speed limits, shouldn't it?
True, but doesn't negate the fact that the FJR still has ground clearance issues. Not that you can't haul ass on one, but if you're riding with similar skilled riders on sportier bikes, the FJR is going to be draggin...

DraginontheDragon.jpg

Not if you trick them into playing your game instead of falling for their trick. Coast to coast. See who whines first.
That all depends on who you are playing the game with. Try playing that game with FazerPhillip on his FZ1. I think there's quite a few FJR riders who'll whine first. :D I certainly would.

Yep...fournd a pre owned with low miles and warrantee that had some of the add ons that I wanted. Only problem was that it was 600 miles away. Fortunately, Mr.Twisty lived about 20 miles away and was kind enough to check it out for me. So I hopped in the truck and drove to Memphis(250 miles) and stayed the night with another great american. Took off the following morning at 7:00am and drove to meet the Viffer. Loaded it up, turned around and headed home. Drove straight through and got back to Marble Falls, AR at 2:35am. Doing a saddle sore 1000 is as boring in a truck as it is on a bike!

I will post up impressions/comparison after I have put some more twisty miles on the VFR. I still have the FJR and am gonna stay off of it for a couple weeks and get comfortable with the VFR. Then I will ride the FJR once again to my favorite twisty road...and then complete the comparison.

Initial thoughts are that the VFR is "leanier" than the FJR. :) In simple terms...It is a much better sport bike and a much worse touring bike than the FJR.

Forget the coast to coast and straight road stuff....I am in the heart of the good AR twisties, come on over anytime and lets get some!

Initial thoughts are that the VFR is "leanier" than the FJR. :) In simple terms...It is a much better sport bike and a much worse touring bike than the FJR.

Forget the coast to coast and straight road stuff....I am in the heart of the good AR twisties, come on over anytime and lets get some!
It is just about impossible to have it all in one bike. If we all had all the money and time we deserve to have all the different bikes we really need it would really be a nicer world.

I 100% agree with you about your wonderful roads. I enjoyed Arkansas every bit as much as I enjoy the Deal's Gap area of NC/TN. I will definitely make it back to your wonderful state to enjoy those roads again. I won't be going as fast as you do though, I will be sightseeing as I ride.

Again, congratulations on your new bike, I hope it serves you well. I have never gotten over wanting the VFR800 although I could not ride it to its potential.

By that Logic, I'm not sure I like where I'm headed.

GSX-R600

FZ1

FJR

next - Eeek!