G2 Ergo Throttle Tube and Cam

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This place is killin me. So many things to buy and so little money. I did however order the G2 fix. Thanks for all the help.(spending money) :clapping: :yahoo:

Did mine tonight. Only had time for a quick test ride but it definitely seems better. I think between installing the G2 and taking the slack out of the throttle cable is a cheap easy way to "tame the beast".
Listening to forum reviews, it appears as though the G2 was not the complete answer to Herky - Jerky 06-07's. Everyone has pretty much had the same result stating that "it definitly helps". G2 wasnt around when i got fed up with this issue. Luckily Fred H. designed a fix (the fred h. shim). Freds fix has the same impact as the G2 but on the other side of the cable (which caused alot of people to stay clear of it (along with the idea that the shim may come out (which, by the way, aint gonna happen)). I wanted more!!!. since i'm not a believer in the PCIII (which many are saying is the fix along with the G2) for this particular problem, i attacked the problem from both ends. G2 combined with the Fred H. fix. This combination helps tremedously. I will admit though that i would still enjoy more control at throttle initiation, but The 2 fixes combined get me 85% there. There are only a couple of things on this motorcycle that make me feel like the engineers never decided to take there designs for a test ride. This throttle thing is one of them. I'm thinking about contacting the G2 makers to recommend a design of a 600 or an 800 (vs. the 400 sold as the FJR tamer).

GreyGoose

I am not quite as enthusiastic as most about the G2 product. While a definite improvement, it's roughly only an 50%-60% improvement. Now if we could get this and the clutch actuation problem corrected that would make for a much more refined FJR.

I am not quite as enthusiastic as most about the G2 product. While a definite improvement, it's roughly only an 50%-60% improvement. Now if we could get this and the clutch actuation problem corrected that would make for a much more refined FJR.
My experience exactly! The G2 is a definite help, but does not completely correct the problem.

My experience exactly! The G2 is a definite help, but does not completely correct the problem.

PCIII? Try that, it made a BIG difference on my '06! :yahoo: ;)

LC :D

Put the G2 on last weekend and it took care of my problem, which really didn't seem that bad to start with.

i just ordered mine...but a little later (after i installed the honda heated grips). Guess i'll be doing a tear down shortly. OH well, sounds worth it!

for the madco throttle control...which model is everyone ordering? type A or type B?

thanks,

Rich

i just ordered mine...but a little later (after i installed the honda heated grips). Guess i'll be doing a tear down shortly. OH well, sounds worth it!
for the madco throttle control...which model is everyone ordering? type A or type B?

thanks,

Rich
"Type B"

The Yamaha workshop manual shows compressed air is used to remove the grips.

grip.jpg

mine may take a little more than that as i used the honda adhesive to put them on but it should be ok.

I'm getting ready to pick up my (new to me) 06 and ride it home.....home being 3000 miles away.

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and purchase the throttle tube and cam and install it before my trip. Does it really make that big a difference when most of my riding will be on open roads?

I am installing a vista cruise throttle lock.

I'm getting ready to pick up my (new to me) 06 and ride it home.....home being 3000 miles away.
I'm wondering if I should go ahead and purchase the throttle tube and cam and install it before my trip. Does it really make that big a difference when most of my riding will be on open roads?

Definitely install the Vista Cruise before your cross country trip. After the trip, you and the FJR will be well aquainted and you will know how comfortable (or uncomfortable) you are with the throttle.

You might want to put the 'throttle spring mod' on your list of considerations as well.

You might want to put the 'throttle spring mod' on your list of considerations as well.
thanks Bill. I figure that if I really need the throttle spring fix after being on the bike for a day or two, I can always find a dealer on the way home with a service dept who I can go to for assistance. I don't think I'd want to try this mod in a hotel parking lot. I went ahead and ordered the throttle tube and will install it prior to my ride.

Last edited by a moderator:

nope. in my opinion, it really only affects your riding when you're doing some twisty riding and need to make subtle adjustments and don't need to upset the suspension at the same time. you will be fine w/o it if most of the riding will be sedate and/or non-technical roads. fwiw i rode with only the g2 mod for four days of north carolina mountain carving (the motorcycle playground) with no problems, thankfully. just don't push it as much as you normally would.

nope. in my opinion, it really only affects your riding when you're doing some twisty riding and need to make subtle adjustments and don't need to upset the suspension at the same time. you will be fine w/o it if most of the riding will be sedate and/or non-technical roads. fwiw i rode with only the g2 mod for four days of north carolina mountain carving (the motorcycle playground) with no problems, thankfully. just don't push it as much as you normally would.
What he said, that mod can wait until you get back...