Gen II Crash Bar Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. What a great find! I sold my ST1300 recently and contemplating a Gen II Feejer as the next bike, but have been concerned about the lack of tip-over protection. This product, which is made just down the road from me, will likely cinch the deal for me. A FJR is in my future! Thanks to Racing 905 and the folks here who have helped put this project together.

Rick

Does anyone have pics of theirs WITH the rear footpeg things on them? Mine arrived at Garauld's for painting and he graciously took pictures.

P1010021.JPG

and

P1010022.JPG

Just got done installing my front and rear crash bars. No real issues. Needed and little pressure to align some holes, but did not need to drill, file or modify the bars in any way to install them. I'm guessing it took me about an hour. I documented and took pictures of the process so actual time may vary.

I will put my pics and comments in another thread when I get it loaded and edited tonight.

And Yes, I have pictures of the pegs installed after reading your post Tcricket.

This is for the A model not the AE.

Will update this post when I get it finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received my front and rear bars this week, and before I tear into the project I have a couple of questions.

According to one poster it's really important to follow directions by putting on the left side first. I don't doubt it and am going to do that, of course, but I'm wondering how the crossbar fits. The directions say to install left side and tighten, then right side and tighten, then the crossbar. So how does that bar fit anyway? If it braces the two sides it seems it would have to be inserted in one side first, then put the other side on. Clearly I'm missing something here, thus the query.

The other question is regarding torque values, especially the engine mounts. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I received my front and rear bars this week, and before I tear into the project I have a couple of questions.
According to one poster it's really important to follow directions by putting on the left side first. I don't doubt it and am going to do that, of course, but I'm wondering how the crossbar fits. The directions say to install left side and tighten, then right side and tighten, then the crossbar. So how does that bar fit anyway? If it braces the two sides it seems it would have to be inserted in one side first, then put the other side on. Clearly I'm missing something here, thus the query.

The other question is regarding torque values, especially the engine mounts. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
The left side holds the rear engine bolt and screws into the right, so left does need to go on first.

I would suggest putting the crossbar in and let it lay loose in the fairings until both bars are mounted on the bike, Otherwise you can't get it in at all.

Attaching it to one of the side bars would probably work, but the notch might be in the wrong place and bind a little.

I'm not sure if the AE model will be the same method as mine as it is an A model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply.

I am not sold on these yet. We will see how things work out over this riding season for those who bought them. Looks like they do real nice work though.

I have a problem with the left (shifter and clutch) side bag guard. There is a fitment issue. I can't be quite sure exactly which dimension is off. If you look at it straight on and the top two screws are in then the bottom larger bolt to the muffler mount is about 3/8 inch toward the front wheel and will not line up. If I put the large bottom muffler mount bolt in then the top two holes appear to be about 3/8 inch too high and toward the rear.

Did anyone else encounter this? What to do? Grind out the holes to make them fit? I'm not experienced with this kind of thing and I don't know whether to try to "fix" it myself or call Stefanie. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a problem with the left (shifter and clutch) side bag guard. There is a fitment issue. I can't be quite sure exactly which dimension is off. If you look at it straight on and the top two screws are in then the bottom larger bolt to the muffler mount is about 3/8 inch toward the front wheel and will not line up. If I put the large bottom muffler mount bolt in then the top two holes appear to be about 3/8 inch too high and toward the rear.
Did anyone else encounter this? What to do? Grind out the holes to make them fit? I'm not experienced with this kind of thing and I don't know whether to try to "fix" it myself or call Stefanie. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Call Stephanie. She's been great at solving these issues.

OK

So these have now been crash tested. Photos and details in a little while, still gathering my thoughts, but I and the Bike are OK.

So I'm just riding to work minding my own business. I'm about a mile away, three turns left to negotiate.

A left, a right, then a left into the parking lot. I go through this intersection every day and yes it always looks like hell.

But this time it has an extra special coating of something oil like which I don't see until after I try to stand up and just about bust my ass.

I was going maybe 15-20, the road leading to it is 45MPH and I didn't have to wait for the light and there was no one in front of me.

I go to turn left and *bam*

IMG_0084.JPG

Next thing I know I'm sliding across the pavement, uttering a few obscenities.

Luckily there was an ambulance sitting at the light. They guys jumped out helped me pick up the bike. They offered to call it in, but I declined. Nobody hurt but my FJR and my pride.

All I recall is hitting my head, it happened that fast. Helmet's good, jacket is good, gloves (check). I was wearing jeans, and if I hadn't had the benefit of what ever was lubricating the street, I'd be hurting. There's no real rash, it's more like a rug burn.

Now for the Feej:

I only had the fronts installed, the rears are too fugly for me, and the ones I have don't have peg mounts for the passenger pegs.

IMG_0087.JPG

Though my left side is starting to get a little sore.

Standard left side low-side damage:

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

The mirror took a hit but is still intact. I already have a replacement thought :)

I'll just need a bag... and a new left side crashbar, some new gear and I'll be ready to go.

Clearly the crashbar saved my stator cover (already dinged up from a parking lot drop) and my left side fairing. That more than covers the cost of the bars.

Higher res images are here: https://picasaweb.google.com/mdisher/FJRCrashbarTest#

-MD

Wow! Organize the group buy and perform a crash test! Now that's dedication. Way to take one for the team! :)

Glad you're OK!

Looks like the bars did their job! Would the rears have saved the bag? Convinced me to take a closer look at these!

Wow! Organize the group buy and perform a crash test! Now that's dedication. Way to take one for the team! :) Glad you're OK!

Looks like the bars did their job! Would the rears have saved the bag? Convinced me to take a closer look at these!
Dunno for sure, but they certainly stick out far enough to protect them :)

I may reconsider installing them when I get my bag replaced and/or painted.

-MD

If anyone is on the fence because the price might be higher than the $150 per set stated in the begining, I called them last Friday and they said they would still honor the price. But who knows for how long.

Good to see they work, sorry about the bike though.

Mine are en-route from Garauld. If they are here by the weekend I'll be happy... I don't have many roads with oily crap on them, but there's enough sand on the roads to fill a playground