Gen II Crash Bar Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered mine!! Went with black...the order form allows payment to me :( and shipping to another address. I shipped directly to Garry 'Garauld' for black cherry paint.

Lovin the work you've done on this Renegade :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: Thx much!!

Not sure how many have been ordered but shipping was free.

Damn if I didn't just return from several months of being gone and you guys have something else for me to buy for the FJR... :dribble:

I just ordered a front set. Looks like we are over the top anyway for free shipping.

Thanks fellas... I think they have a couple more orders than I can account for, and since they don't have a place for your forum name on the order form, I'm not going to be able to match them up. So please let me know if you placed an order or if you've decided not to.

I understand life changes on a daily basis. There's no hard feelings if you committed to purchase and need to back out. Stuff happens. The buy has been successful at this point. We've hit the qty I thought we'd hit. Of course more is only better. If on the odd chance we get to 30 I'll hit them up for something else, like maybe toss in some delrin sliders ;)

Renegade,

Ordered mine Monday afternoon. [Edit] Full set, black

Many thanks for setting it up.

Cheers,

7X

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't get an answer when I asked, Thanks toecutter , you got part of an answer and that helped to find out more info.

Sounds like they have no idea how the frame/attachment points will hold up. That was the info I was looking for & found . . .I'll check into a set once we know more about the durability in actual use. Sure looking forward to a nice set like these , hope they work !

Have these been drop-tested, or guaranteed to hold up in the event of a drop? They'd be great for practicing low-speed skilz....
George, has expressed that he has dropped his bike and they work as designed, but I do not know the extent of his get-off.

Again, where's that front lower bolt attached?
I don't know and won't until I actually get mine. I just ordered them.

I have updated the FIRST post with the Group Buy details, or rather a LINK to the group buy details which I've placed on my site:

You will find those details posted here:

Clicky here

Happy ordering.

-MD

Renegade,

Even though I am currently BIKELESS (for the past month), I ordered mine yesterday!!

Thanks for the heads up on this ... I have been looking for such a thing for the last two years.

Best Regards,

Shane

Thanks fellas... I think they have a couple more orders than I can account for, and since they don't have a place for your forum name on the order form, I'm not going to be able to match them up. So please let me know if you placed an order or if you've decided not to.
I understand life changes on a daily basis. There's no hard feelings if you committed to purchase and need to back out. Stuff happens. The buy has been successful at this point. We've hit the qty I thought we'd hit. Of course more is only better. If on the odd chance we get to 30 I'll hit them up for something else, like maybe toss in some delrin sliders ;)
I just placed my order for a full set and sent you a note on your site. I like the idea of some sliders thrown in! Or maybe some Highway peg mounts?

Just ordered mine!! Went with black...the order form allows payment to me :( and shipping to another address. I shipped directly to Garry 'Garauld' for black cherry paint.
Lovin the work you've done on this Renegade :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: Thx much!!

Not sure how many have been ordered but shipping was free.
Ordered and shipped to Gary as well. This one's for Cerulean Silver.

Still in but have changed my mind on the color, I will be altering how the rear pegs mount as my better has long legs so will be doing the black.

Paymant sent.

I finally got some of the requested photos from George as well as the questions regarding how these mount:

CrashBarsGeorge01.jpg

CrashBarsGeorge02.jpg

George writes:

The front attachment points (2) are the front lower engine mount on each side of the FJR, and the second point does not attach directly to the bike ----------- but links/bolts together and reinforces both lower bars and passes thru the lower engine cowling (thru the existing factory fairing cutout ---------- with a bend/curvature for the oil cooler). The single rear attachment point for the front bars are the single rear engine mount. The 3 points (front and rear bars) form the basis for the bar strength. Any additional queries or concerns, please ask.

So there you have it.

If I understand George's post correctly, only two of the three mounts for the front guard attach to the bike. The third one, which I believe is the top one, passes through the bike and attaches to the same point on the opposite side guard. If this is true, it sounds like the top of the guard could "push through" and not offer any support in the event of the bike going over.

I hate to be this picky, but I'd like to get this clarified. And, while I appreciate the photos George posted, I still can't tell the color match for the black cherry.

I'm still willing to make the purchase, and to do it tomorrow, but I'd really appreciate getting this stuff cleared up before buying the guards.

Thanks again.

Jon

No, I interpret it as this:

Front2.JPG

In this picture, the top left mount is the motor/frame mount, same as all the sliders out there. The top right, something else., the bottom, front most goes through the fairing to the other side....

That's how I interpret it.

Can't help you on the color match, the options are pretty clear at this point. If you're still scared, send them to Gary :)

If'n it was me, and I had a Black Cherry, I think the bars in Geroge's photos match pretty damn well, and I would order them that way. But I don't I have a blue bike.

That answers my question, and theory, about the front lower. I couldn't figure how it could attach to part of the bike. Pass-through was the only way it could work on mine.

So, it looks as though the fronts will fit the Gen I as well, albeit with some cutting of plastic. I think the lower mount point may interfere with the plastic as well, but it's only plastic, and crash bars are COOL!

Another possible feature - These things look like they'll do a better job of protecting the rider's feet in a lowside. That's more safety-er, and a sellable justification to the other half of my organization!

You say I have until the end of the month??? And the black ones are powder coated?

I'm thinking about this very seriously and am probably going to go for it. My question is how far do the rear gaurds stick out, and especially how far do they extend beyond the panniers?

I really appreciate George's pictures, but the angle of the shots on two or three of the photos leaves me wondering. In the photo from the left rear quarter it looks like the guard sticks way out beyond the pannier. Ditto for the closeup on the left side. On the other hand, in the picture from the right front quarter it looks as if the guard barely reaches to the outside of the bag.

This is surely just an illusion from the angles, but I would like to get a better feel on how they will look. I usually come down in favor of function over form, but the FJR is such a beautiful machine I don't want to go so far as to damage its aesthetics beyond a certain point.

(Added after seeing Georges second set of pictures) Ok, now that I've seen George's second set of pictures I'm wondering even more. In the photo taken from the rear without the bags does the left guard seem a little longer than the right? Probably it's just me but I'm bound to ask anyway.

I really appreciate George's pictures, but the angle of the shots on two or three of the photos leaves me wondering.
I concur but I don't really know how to fix that. I'm somewhat skeptical on the rears myself. I've ordered them but may not use them in the end.

I wish I had a better answer but I don't, and George has been kind enough to provide the photos that he has. You're more than welcome to PM him or ask him to take a specific photo for you.

Remember he gains nothing from this (yet). He actually engineered these things and is an engineer by trade, or so I understand.