Members Pets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to the vet yesterday for my labs rear leg thinking it may be a ACL tear, well we got bad news, Kalani has bone cancer and I don't know how long she has, we're taking it day by day and managing her pain for now and being 14 1/2 yrs old I don't want to put her through the stress of amputation or chemo. Now the hard part for us is when do we make the decision to put her down, this is the part of pet ownership I hate. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea about the dog, but I'll give you the perspective from a guy whose had his knee cut twice.

The first one was a piece of shit workman's comp doctor that I never should have let cut me. He performed an ACL replacement as mine was torn through. My knee was worse after the surgery.

It hurt like Hell for 2 years and always popped. It was miserable.

Then one day, just playing with my daughter, that knee collapsed because his graft came un-anchored and tore again. This resulted in a huge miniscus bucket tear and another ACL replacement.

That time, I got to choose my own doc while I fought with workman's comp. That surgery cost around $75k, and was totally worth it. My knee is much better; although it will never be like it was pre- injury. Mostly because of the damage done during the second tear and the damage that accumulated over the two years after the first idiot screwed me up.

All that to say this: IF it were me and my dog, and I was gonna get her surgery, I would pay more to get it done right the first time. Properly done surgery will reduce arthritis and make her life much more enjoyable.

The cheaper route will leave her with constant pain that she doesn't have any remedy for. Giving her a proper fix will provide relief and more normal function.

That's what I think....

I went to the vet yesterday for my labs rear leg thinking it may be a ACL tear, well we got bad news, Kalani has bone cancer and I don't know how long she has, we're taking it day by day and managing her pain for now and being 14 1/2 yrs old I don't want to put her through the stress of amputation or chemo. Now the hard part for us is when do we make the decision to put her down, this is the part of pet ownership I hate. :(

I'm very sorry you have to go through this. We had to do the same thing with our Dalmatian a few years ago, very very difficult.

our and the local basset rescue vet of decades experience always advises

"do it one day early instead of one day late"

IMHO

once they stop functioning like a dog, it's time...my Reggie barely ate, could hardly move around, and changed from a lab to a paperweight...it was time before she fell, broke something, stopped peeing or pooing, threw a blood clot, stroked, metastasize, stopped eating, etc

I weighed the real possibility of her going into pain vs a few days or a week more with nothing that could stop the inevitable. I find it best to have a special last morning with them, and then take an extra long ride to the vet in the afternoon. Stop at a burger drive through for a cheeseburger treat.

Two of my hounds' ashes are in a beautiful box with a lock of hair provided by the nearby "Heaven's Pets". A quiet, loving, gentle last day means making a courageous decision, really for the dog to have a great last day with no memories of pain, growling, moaning, and suffering while trying to get them peace under very difficult circumstances. Believe me when I say you want that avoided that at all cost.

When you dog no longer functions as a dog...it's time to make the decision and plan a beautiful last 24 hours.

below is my Reggie's very last picture sitting in my minivan just before her last ride (to the vet)...she was 14 and they say pretty old for a lab...sweetest dog around

Wish you the best and will pray for courage

4434781933_6fd190f165.jpg

our and the local basset rescue vet of decades experience always advises

"do it one day early instead of one day late"

IMHO

once they stop functioning like a dog, it's time...my Reggie barely ate, could hardly move around, and changed from a lab to a paperweight...it was time before she fell, broke something, stopped peeing or pooing, threw a blood clot, stroked, metastasize, stopped eating, etc

I weighed the real possibility of her going into pain vs a few days or a week more with nothing that could stop the inevitable. I find it best to have a special last morning with them, and then take an extra long ride to the vet in the afternoon. Stop at a burger drive through for a cheeseburger treat.

Two of my hounds' ashes are in a beautiful box with a lock of hair provided by the nearby "Heaven's Pets". A quiet, loving, gentle last day means making a courageous decision, really for the dog to have a great last day with no memories of pain, growling, moaning, and suffering while trying to get them peace under very difficult circumstances. Believe me when I say you want that avoided that at all cost.

When you dog no longer functions as a dog...it's time to make the decision and plan a beautiful last 24 hours.

below is my Reggie's very last picture sitting in my minivan just before her last ride (to the vet)...she was 14 and they say pretty old for a lab...sweetest dog around

Wish you the best and will pray for courage

4434781933_6fd190f165.jpg
Thanks, I will know when it's time, when she no longer wags her tail and not eating, we waited too long with my other lab 2 yrs ago and we're not going to let her suffer any more than she has to. I wish I could tell her what's going on, she is going blind and hard of hearing :(

Dayum man...Sorry to hear this. I hate it when my animals get sick. Our thoughts are with you.

Sorry to hear your Fur Buddy is not doing well. Nothing to say but it Sucks! And your doing the right thing looking out before quality of life degrades too much.

Road trip to Houston today to pick up Reese our new Leonberger. Down today, and back with pup tomorrow.
Man, that's going to be quite the dog! Nice pup there. With training you will have Golden Retriever disposition, without good training you will have a well protected house and the neighbor's kids will provide little snacks ;) This breed is on my short list for a dog.
I emailing with a few breeders up in your area. Which is a more suitable climate for these dogs. I do not think these dogs are really capable of harming a child without completely braining washing the dogs default dispostion, but 160 lb dog that is not obedient is a train wreck in the making.

What the above statement about acting a day earlier rather than a day late is good advice.

Due to shortcoming of personal fortitude on my part, I failed to do so with my 14 year old Scottie 3 years ago. And while I was with her when she died in her bed at 4am, I know she suffered the 48 hours. I will always regret that.

So, the morning things went really bad for my 11 year old Scottie after dealing with other medical stuff due to aging, I had the vet put him down in a couple of hours. I wish I could have done better for him, but I'm glad I didn't do worse this time.

The good news is: after a year of getting over the loss and not wanting to bury another one in the back yard, I will be in the hunt for a new Scottie buddy in a couple of months. I've decided life is better with them than without them-- even if I will probably out live another one. First time being without a dog in 37 years just don't get it.

If anybody should know of some good spring pups being available within 200 miles of NE Missouri please pop me a PM. Scotties are a bit rare around here-- good quality or otherwise.

EDIT: 02-19-13 Brought 8 week old "Angus" home yesterday. We are already good buddies.

th_IMG_1408.jpg

When my last senior boy was terminal and I was on the fence about his quality of life I asked the vet to assist with my decision to keep going or make the tough call. She agreed he could make a turn for the better, but also provide a pack of pain relief meds that would last a weekend if things took a turn for the worse. we never had to use them, A month or so later my senior boy showed no interest in eating we knew it was time.

Have you researched any Scottie forums? Like this site, the info and resources can be invaluable. It was directly or indirectly how I found both of my boys, along with many other reputable breeders.

https://www.stca.biz/

https://www.scottishterriernews.com/category/scottish-terrier-breeders/scottish-terrier-breeders-in-the-united-states

What the above statement about acting a day earlier rather than a day late is good advice.

Due to shortcoming of personal fortitude on my part, I failed to do so with my 14 year old Scottie 3 years ago. And while I was with her when she died in her bed at 4am, I know she suffered the 48 hours. I will always regret that.

So, the morning things went really bad for my 11 year old Scottie after dealing with other medical stuff due to aging, I had the vet put him down in a couple of hours. I wish I could have done better for him, but I'm glad I didn't do worse this time.

The good news is: after a year of getting over the loss and not wanting to bury another one in the back yard, I will be in the hunt for a new Scottie buddy in a couple of months. I've decided life is better with them than without them-- even if I will probably out live another one. First time being without a dog in 37 years just don't get it.

If anybody should know of some good spring pups being available within 200 miles of NE Missouri please pop me a PM. Scotties are a bit rare around here-- good quality or otherwise.

th_IMG_1408.jpg
consider checking out Scotty Rescues and saving a dog in need of a furever home...most all have options on transport...the basset rescue here is fortunate to be on the bi-weekly route of Rescue Road Trips (if you want to see amazing pics of the start of new lives of hoomans and hounds, check them out on FB and their website...they are out of Ohio and transport 50 or so hounds from all gulf coast states to new homes in New England).

Rescueing an unwanted dog of any age is very rewarding...by far the heartbreak situations of owners dying or failing health, or loss of a job or home, etc put great dogs at risk who need a forever home.

best to ya

Mike in Nawlins'

Basset Hound lover

In amongst the joy our furry companions bring us, there is also the sadness. In my case it's no more 'toasty' in the morning, licking peanut butter & honey from my fingers; no more 'socks' and 'washbasket'; no more unbridled joy at 'walkies' or the 'herding' of Zea into the kitchen at 6 to make dinner; no more finding me to come and feed the birds and earn her treat; no more watching motorcycle racing on the couch in the middle of the night (not that she ever 'got it'); no more trusting and loving eyes just watching every move. And who will find the snakes and Michaels (aka Micky mouses) in the house now? We miss you already Molly. You were very good for us, and brought us much joy. Our Molly died peacefully this past Tuesday morning - only 6 years old. Far too young.

3 years ago, when I decided to not trim my beard for a few months. Result - two furry kids to make a mess of the house

f4rb6r.jpg

An afternoon nap after a playing

9tg5th.jpg

And my very favourite place and position at night

b8lsnp.jpg

And whenever we filled the Bird Bath she had to drink some of the water first

111tuep.jpg